Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cp-e™ Down-Pipe Install, Dyno & Reactions

During the Holiday break I had the opportunity to visit cp-e™ in Maryland, where their engineering operations presides. I was on my way to see my family, so I thought…”well why not visit cp-e on the way there”, so I did. I already have their rear motor mount installed. So the next step was to get their down-pipe. I've been told that this modification is the beginning to the long list of performance enhancing modifications. A 3 inch down-pipe (with high flow cat) basically opens up the exhaust, and provides better flow. The cp-e down-pipe relieves back-pressure. It is guaranteed to make gains in HP and TQ.

Install

Meet Darren. Darren was my tech, and he was very efficient.

Darren had to remove the intake to be able to get to the o2 senors. Which makes a job a lot easier down the road when the stock down-pipe has to be removed.

And up she goes...

You are looking at the cp-e RMM and the stock down-pipe just to the left of it.

And OUT with the old to make room for the new

Prep work for o2 sensors

Turbo anyone?

Its time to install!

Attaching the down-pipe to the frame mount

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dyno Results

cp-e has a Mustang Dyno. I believe we made about 8 runs between running stock calibration and running the COBB AP 93 101 calibration.

You may be wondering why my headlamps are not in place. I was working on them while we were doing our runs. They were not removed to get more air flow or anything.

The First graphic I have to show you is the best stock calibration run. This is with the cp-e down-pipe installed. As a added note, the green filter was also installed. As you can see there was a dip around 5750 RPMs. We did 3 runs under the stock calibration, and each run had this dip. We did not have much time to investigate because I needed to get back on the road to continue my trip home.

Here is video of the stock run:

This Next run show you what the results are like for using the COBB AP 93 LT v101 map with cp-e's down-pipe and green filter installed.

Video of best tuned run:

Watch another one of the runs here:

Finally a view of the two best COBB AP runs and stock calibration with cp-e down-pipe

Comparing?

I had no base line run with no hard parts or changes. So asked cp-e for their base line run to compare. Technically, comparing our cars is like apples to oranges. Our cars are the same model, but there are still differences from car to car, as well as different days with different temps. However, it is the same dyno with the same dyno settings. So just as a bench mark to show what gains I had on a stock calibration, versus a tuned calibration.

Green Line is stock calibrations
Blue line is COBB AP 93 LT v101
Red line is CP-E Baseline run

Torque Graphic:

One can extrapolate that the max gains are at 2500ish, and that my run was 15 TQ better at the highest point. However you can see that the gains run clear over to 5200 RPM's.

Horse Power Graphic:

Impressions

cp-e is a fine company. I saw first hand their operations. They definitely know what they are doing and have good people working for them. The down-pipe was a solid piece of engineering, and looks pretty while installing. Not the mention if I ever have a problem with their products I can get it replaced under their lifetime warranty.

The down-pipe allows you to hear the turbo spool better. Technically the down-pipe should have made the exhaust louder as well. However, I did not detect any real change in the notes. I asked about this, and cp-e told me that the stock exhaust is made to be quite. Also, I believe with a personalized tune, the gains could be better with a better curve. I am hoping when I do an exhaust, I can get my car tuned personally.

So my next step is their exhaust system. That I did get to hear and drive it. I don't like too loud of a car in the first place, however theirs was more than manageable for me. Plus change in how much you can hear the turbo was amazing! I love that sound.

I rate my experience 10 of 10. LOL There is a first time for everything, and this experience was my first for a lot of things car wise.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Thanks for the write up, Chad! Looks great.

CP-E needs to do another sale... ;)

Reactions: Kboss87 and KEVOP

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah no problem. It took quite a bit of effort to put this together. But it shows the best look at how a DP is installed, and what it does for gains. :)

Reactions: sk8parker94

·
Registered
768 Posts
What am I confused about here? With the DP, and tune, and filter, you're only getting 220+ HP?

Reactions: Durp

·
Registered
547 Posts
Looks nice Chad

Gains should be much higher with a OTS Stage 2 tune. And a Protune on the dyno would be even be better. Hopefully Cobb will release their ATR software soon so you can get on that dyno. Unless you're going SCT.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, Chad. Really wish you would have had them dyno your car with the stock DP. Still looks like probably good gains especially from a catted pipe. cp-e ran winter sales the last two years around mid-January. If they do that this year I might be in for the DP + exhaust. At some point I'll stop spending money on this car...

·
Registered
650 Posts
Thanks for sharing!

Look how tiny that turbine wheel is! No wonder this thing spools so quick and chokes off in the top end.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Thanks for the write-up, Chad. Really wish you would have had them dyno your car with the stock DP. Still looks like probably good gains especially from a catted pipe. cp-e ran winter sales the last two years around mid-January. If they do that this year I might be in for the DP + exhaust. At some point I'll stop spending money on this car...
Funniest thing I've heard all day LOL :LOL:

·
Registered
392 Posts
What am I confused about here? With the DP, and tune, and filter, you're only getting 220+ HP?
Because it is a Mustang Dyno.

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
768 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mustang Dynos usually output lower numbers than a DynoJet due to the schematics of how it interpolates the data.

You can do a search on differences... there are a ton of forum threads out there on it.

Basically the most important numbers are the before and after numbers from the modification. The change in numbers (hopefully positive) is more important than the peak numbers. You want the modifications to improve the performance, right? ;)

Reactions: www.cp-e.com

·
Registered
19 Posts
RPhilMan is right, Mustang Dynos have an inertia break in them that helps simulate actual road forces better. They are sometimes considered the "engineer's dyno" because of how much data they are able to take in. Compared to DynoJet numbers, Mustang Dynos tend to show lower results.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Mustang Dynos usually output lower numbers than a DynoJet due to the schematics of how it interpolates the data.

You can do a search on differences... there are a ton of forum threads out there on it.

Basically the most important numbers are the before and after numbers from the modification. The change in numbers (hopefully positive) is more important than the peak numbers. You want the modifications to improve the performance, right? ;)
So, Mustang dynos will never show true HP gains? How do you then figure out what the actual HP is? Just by running it on a dynojet? I know you can obviously see the gains from a stock pull to a modded pull, but is the only way to get true stock HP is by pulling on a dynojet?

·
Registered
199 Posts
So, Mustang dynos will never show true HP gains? How do you then figure out what the actual HP is? Just by running it on a dynojet? I know you can obviously see the gains from a stock pull to a modded pull, but is the only way to get true stock HP is by pulling on a dynojet?
Mustang dynos put more load (resistance) on the car during the pull. This causes Mustang dynos to read significatly lower than dynojets usually. HP gains are hp gains regardless of which dyno you are on. Think of it as two different units of measure, like gallons vs. liters (Dynojet vs. Mustang). In the end you have the same amount of liquid (power), just two different ways to measure it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
As everyone has stated the mustang dyno ALWAYS reads lower. It calculates actual load readings, like the car is driving on a road. This will give you more acurate numbers as it is sort of a "real world" horsepower reading. This is why most tuners prefer to tune on a mustang dyno.
Also, with a custom tune the numbers would be higher. With a downpipe you should get a custom tune anyway. Hopefully Cobb will come out with the ATR software soon. You can see in the graphs that there are immediate gains it just needs to be fine tuned to get the most out of it.

·
Registered
768 Posts
As everyone has stated the mustang dyno ALWAYS reads lower. It calculates actual load readings, like the car is driving on a road. This will give you more acurate numbers as it is sort of a "real world" horsepower reading. This is why most tuners prefer to tune on a mustang dyno.
Also, with a custom tune the numbers would be higher. With a downpipe you should get a custom tune anyway. Hopefully Cobb will come out with the ATR software soon. You can see in the graphs that there are immediate gains it just needs to be fine tuned to get the most out of it.
OK, thanks. If things are as well as I think they will be come spring/early summertime, I plan on getting your DP, as well as the exhaust. Are you guys planning on also creating an intake in the future? I can't remember if you ever mentioned if you were or not. Then I'll slap cp-e stickers all over my car for even MORE power gains :LOL:

·
Registered
222 Posts
OK, thanks. If things are as well as I think they will be come spring/early summertime, I plan on getting your DP, as well as the exhaust. Are you guys planning on also creating an intake in the future? I can't remember if you ever mentioned if you were or not. Then I'll slap cp-e stickers all over my car for even MORE power gains :LOL:
Cobb is always good on coming out with their products in a timely manner. So fingers crossed. Then we'll be able to see some big numbers on the ST.
Let me tell you how awesome the sound is with our DP/exhaust combo and that's not because I work for cp-e. It sounds amazing. nice deep grumble. The complete opposite of a fart can.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts