Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i currently got a 17 GTI and I want to switch over to a Focus ST, I know the interior in the focus is far superior but i really dont mind that at all.

with that being said the only thing im worried about is i cant drive stick well, I have the general idea down but ive never tried starting on a hill and im bad at first gear. I was driving my dads around and I could get to work but of course i never really had much traffic to deal with or any hills to go up. Do you guys think this would be a good car to learn on? Also we get pretty harsh winters here in PA, how is this car in the snow with snow tires?

Also whats everyones favorite color? I'm really diggin the grey :)

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Hi frognog. Switching to a manual transmission is a big decision since it isn't something you're used to. That said, it can be a lot of fun. If I sat in traffic constantly, I'd more likely get an auto tranny. Personally, I find the ST manual to be easier to drive than ones I have driven in the past. My old Passat 1.8 was more jerky, but that may have had more to do with a big turbo lag. The ST has a hill assist option, so don't worry about hills. If you're stopped on a hill for a second or more with the clutch and brake pedals pressed, you can take your foot off the brake and get your foot on the gas and slowly let off the clutch pedal with no sliding backward unless the hill is very, very gently sloped. Does your Dad have an ST or a different car with a manual tranny? Take advantage of his and practice some more in various conditions.

The ST is decent enough in the snow with snow tires or all season tires since it has FWD. I'd still prefer AWD but that isn't an option unless you go all out RS. Definitely do not drive the car with the summer tires in winter, even if there is no snow on the ground. The summer tires don't grip well in the cold. The pain is determining when to switch back and forth and the time and/or cost of doing so. You may find it better to go with a good set of all season tires year round. Some would argue against that as summer tires are better in the summer, but not everyone has the budget to have several sets of tires (and ideally several sets of wheels to go with them!).

As for color, I'm biased toward white lol! The gray looks good though and I played with the idea of upgrading to a 2017 since the prices have come down. Better overall for me to stay put though. Good luck with your decisions!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts