Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This likely has been covered already but I couldn't find it as a thread topic and didn't come across it while searching some more generic threads. Is there a way to disable to courtesy wipe when using the windshield washers? I personally don't like the feature as it tends to streak the glass again, particularly in winter conditions. This feature can be disabled on some cars. I didn't see anything in the wiper section of the manual. An internet search didn't find a way to disable, but I did find a workaround on ford fanatics--turn wipers on manually, squirt, shut off wipers when done. Any other thoughts? My car was just built in December and I took delivery in January, so the wiper blades are new--just don't like this feature.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
My f150 is the same in this regard as the Foci. I don't know of any way other than what you describe. I usually do exactly that, pull the lever back to squirt then flip up to maual mode then shut it off once its clear. Agree though that courtesy swipe is overkill and sometimes makes things worse.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I don't like it either. In an F150 and other Ford vehicles you can go in the menu and turn it on or off. Nothing on the ST to make that adjustment.

·
Registered
155 Posts
You gotta be kidding me... this is one of the things I hate about Chevy cars! I've never had a ford with this "feature". If this can't be turned off I'm gonna be really pissed off!!! I hate it when stupid engineers decide shit like this, if I want the f'ing wipers to go one more time I'll keep em on. If I turn them off that means I want them OFF! NOT ONE MORE TIME!

·
Registered
42 Posts
You gotta be kidding me... this is one of the things I hate about Chevy cars! I've never had a ford with this "feature". If this can't be turned off I'm gonna be really pissed off!!! I hate it when stupid engineers decide shit like this, if I want the f'ing wipers to go one more time I'll keep em on. If I turn them off that means I want them OFF! NOT ONE MORE TIME!
Deep breaths... Deep breaths. The world isn't ending you just might have a streak on your window. There are bigger problems out there like the Buffalo football and hockey team. HaHa. Go Bruins!

·
Registered
894 Posts
It's this kind of stuff that makes me wonder why no one has come up with a OBD-port device to change these settings for Ford vehicles. For VWs, there was an aftermarket device made by Ross-Tech that allowed you adjust a lot of coding for convenience features (in addition to providing really detailed diagnostic services).

Ross-Tech: VCDS Tour: Select Control Module

Given the much bigger market for Ford cars here in the US, it's amazing to me that no company has done the same thing for Fords.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Ford may have it locked down. I have heard with the MKVII VW was locking theirs down.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ford may have it locked down. I have heard with the MKVII VW was locking theirs down.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk
It's strange, then, that we can so easily install new tunes on our cars, but relatively "harmless" stuff like changing the wiper settings would be locked! (Not that I'm complaining about the openness of the engine map!)

·
Registered
155 Posts
Deep breaths... Deep breaths. The world of isn't ending you just might have a streak on your window. There are bigger problems out there like the Buffalo football and hockey team. HaHa. Go Bruins!
Yea, I was already pissed about some work stuff last night when I read this thread so I probably overreacted a little.

I was making fun of a buddy just a couple of weeks ago when some shit (blob of tar) splashed on the window of his Impala. He killed the wipers but the courtesy wipe smeared it everywhere. We needed to stop and get some kero to get it off. I've never owned a Ford that had this (mostly older Mustangs/Tbirds), and now I feel bad for laughing at him because Ford jumped on the 'short bus' with Chevy a while ago and I didn't even know it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Like it was said before I had it in my 04 ZX3, the only time that you would not get the drip down the center was 100+mph. But the wiper park was screwy on my car and the blades would start to walk up the windshield at those speeds. After a couple of miles they would be strait up and I would just leave it like that until I got off the autobahn.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
+1 Hamiltonian! I had that cable and could change lots of settings with it and get detailed diagnostics with it. One of the first things I did was disable the courtesy wipe. That was one big factor that almost got me to move over to a GTI or Golf, but I couldn't resist the appeal of the ST (and the Ford dealer is much closer).

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I actually like the extra, delayed wipe feature on the Focus. It's the same as my older SVTs and many Ford of Europe cars I've driven. If there were any improvements I'd much rather have a feature that over ~50 mph switched the max delay wiper setting to low speed continuous and changed it so that when delayed wipers are used at faster settings they slow down when the vehicle comes to a stop. Otherwise I've been pretty happy with how they work although the stock wiper blades are already leaving streaks on my car.

It's strange, then, that we can so easily install new tunes on our cars, but relatively "harmless" stuff like changing the wiper settings would be locked! (Not that I'm complaining about the openness of the engine map!)
The engine controller is based on a common Bosch architecture and there's a much greater amount of money to be made developing solutions that offer tuning capabilities for the automotive aftermarket. Third-party developers could likely reverse engineer the wiper functionality but it is likely controlled in the body computer which is specific to Ford and Ford models and they likely wouldn't recoup development cost. Compared to some other vehicles it's amazing we already have choices for tuning the engine this soon after the car was released.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm with you on no extra wipe. I wish the washers fired before the wipers moved too. Since the dirt will over time scratch the windshield. I have used the VE Ross tech stuff nice to have to change the computer settings on my old car. I have Auto Tap but it only does logs and Diagnostics for Ford Vehicles you can't change anything. I may ask a friend that was head service manager at a Ford Dealer if he know anything that can modify the ecu in ford Vehicles.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts