Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So my last car came with an auto dimming rear view mirror, and after living with it for 7 years it is something I can't live without.

Now the Fiesta St doesn't come with one but the Fiesta Titanium does. Interestingly the STs head liner is notched for it.

I went to Fords parts and they were able to get me a schematic for a 2014 fiesta that shows which circuit Ford installs it into. Turns out it is F2 of the interior fuse box, and the manual even says interior mirror on it. I wonder if Ford had a supply issue and just didn't include it on the ST at the last second. I looked and there don't seem to be persisting wires in the head liner, but there is a connector on the pass A pillar that has tons of empty pins that are populated from the fuse box side.

Anyway I decided to add one.

Tools:

T20 torx
Phillips
Flat blade
Interior trim tool
Needle nose
Crimp tool
Stripping tool

Supplies:
Auto dimming rear view (got mine from eBay $75 shipped)
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror Fits Toyota Ford GM Nissan and More Model 12V Car$ | eBay
ATM add a circuit
Electrical tape
Red and blue male and female spade connectors
Red ring terminal
Zip ties
Metric nut and washers for ground wire
ATM fuse 2.5 or,5 or ,7.5 amp

Process:

Removal

1. Remove dome light by prying the whole assembly down from the back. After the back is down unclip the front plastic pieces and unplug the electrical connector and set the assembly aside.
2. Remove the pass side a pillar. Starting at the top pull it out. The top connector will give you fits because it has two sets of tangs. I used needle nose to grab on to that actual metal part and get it free.
3. Remove pass side visor/mirror and stay. Use the t20 torx.
4. Remove the stock rear view mirror. You do this by prying the bottom up, it's held on by the metal spring clip that is visible. Be careful not to break or damage the window.
5. Remove the glove box by pushing in on the sides to free the two rubber pieces, then pull up to unhinge the bottom.

Install

6. Install new mirror by sliding it on the windshield bracket and tightening the torx set screw.
7. Route the wires up the notch in the headliner into the dome light hole. Install black plastic channel piece onto mirror.
8. Using electrical tape or wire sheathing, wrap the wires to loom them together.
9. Route along front of headliner with existing wires over to the A pillar. DO NOT route wires in front of the air bag. Loom them with the factory harness and secure with zip ties.
10. Add spade connectors on both wires at the base of the apillar next to the existing connector.
11. Route wires into fuse panel area following the same channel as the existing loom.
12. Cut red wire to length and connect to add a circuit with spade terminals. You'll need a 12-14 ga blue connector on one side and a 16-18 ga red connector on the other.
13. Pick up a chassis ground on the right of the firewall. I added a nut two washers and used a red ring terminal.
14. Remove fuse at F2.
15. Insert the 7.5 amp fuse at the bottom, and the lower amp fuse into the top slot.
16. Insert the add a circuit into position F2.
17. Tidy everything up and reinstall the panels.
18. Turn on the car and enjoy your mirror.
19. Beer.

Pic explosion

·
Registered
360 Posts
Great job and write up. I really like the one I installed in my FOST. Although with 5% tint in the back it is not as necessary as it once was. ;)

Wes

·
Registered
360 Posts
Yeah I had 5% on a couple cars, it's too dark especially if you do all the back windows. My last car had 20% on everything but the fronts and it was perfect. I'll probably do the same on the FiST eventually.
This is what I did. Started with 5 in the back and worked my way lighter as it got to the front.

Wes

·
Registered
418 Posts
That black plastic piece that runs from the headliner to the rear view mirror.. Did that already come on the Fiesta ST? I know it doesn't come on the Focus ST. I want to do an auto dim mirror install as well but I want to get a black trim piece to cover the wires up that go from the headliner to the mirror.

-EDIT-

Never mind, I was looking at the mirror on eBay and it looks like that piece comes with it.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Ya know something, that wire cover piece doesn't look like it's going to be long enough to cover the whole wire. The distance between the mirror mount and the top of the windshield is longer in my Focus ST than in your Fiesta ST, unless you moved that metal mount piece up more?

I'll have to go to Lowes or something and maybe fabricate a longer one, as long as I can make it look good (I'm picky about fit 'n finish)

·
Registered
1 Posts
So my last car came with an auto dimming rear view mirror, and after living with it for 7 years it is something I can't live without.

Now the Fiesta St doesn't come with one but the Fiesta Titanium does. Interestingly the STs head liner is notched for it.

I went to Fords parts and they were able to get me a schematic for a 2014 fiesta that shows which circuit Ford installs it into. Turns out it is F2 of the interior fuse box, and the manual even says interior mirror on it. I wonder if Ford had a supply issue and just didn't include it on the ST at the last second. I looked and there don't seem to be persisting wires in the head liner, but there is a connector on the pass A pillar that has tons of empty pins that are populated from the fuse box side.

Anyway I decided to add one.

Tools:

T20 torx
Phillips
Flat blade
Interior trim tool
Needle nose
Crimp tool
Stripping tool

Supplies:
Auto dimming rear view (got mine from eBay $75 shipped)
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror Fits Toyota Ford GM Nissan and More Model 12V Car$ | eBay
ATM add a circuit
Electrical tape
Red and blue male and female spade connectors
Red ring terminal
Zip ties
Metric nut and washers for ground wire
ATM fuse 2.5 or,5 or ,7.5 amp

Process:

Removal

1. Remove dome light by prying the whole assembly down from the back. After the back is down unclip the front plastic pieces and unplug the electrical connector and set the assembly aside.
2. Remove the pass side a pillar. Starting at the top pull it out. The top connector will give you fits because it has two sets of tangs. I used needle nose to grab on to that actual metal part and get it free.
3. Remove pass side visor/mirror and stay. Use the t20 torx.
4. Remove the stock rear view mirror. You do this by prying the bottom up, it's held on by the metal spring clip that is visible. Be careful not to break or damage the window.
5. Remove the glove box by pushing in on the sides to free the two rubber pieces, then pull up to unhinge the bottom.

Install

6. Install new mirror by sliding it on the windshield bracket and tightening the torx set screw.
7. Route the wires up the notch in the headliner into the dome light hole. Install black plastic channel piece onto mirror.
8. Using electrical tape or wire sheathing, wrap the wires to loom them together.
9. Route along front of headliner with existing wires over to the A pillar. DO NOT route wires in front of the air bag. Loom them with the factory harness and secure with zip ties.
10. Add spade connectors on both wires at the base of the apillar next to the existing connector.
11. Route wires into fuse panel area following the same channel as the existing loom.
12. Cut red wire to length and connect to add a circuit with spade terminals. You'll need a 12-14 ga blue connector on one side and a 16-18 ga red connector on the other.
13. Pick up a chassis ground on the right of the firewall. I added a nut two washers and used a red ring terminal.
14. Remove fuse at F2.
15. Insert the 7.5 amp fuse at the bottom, and the lower amp fuse into the top slot.
16. Insert the add a circuit into position F2.
17. Tidy everything up and reinstall the panels.
18. Turn on the car and enjoy your mirror.
19. Beer.

Pic explosion

I have a simple quest... my rear view mirror dimming is this:
but i dont know wiring conection colours - black is??? Purple Is??? Brow is???
Cause i dont have pre-instalation :(
NOFIM2.JPG
NOFIM3.JPG

1 - 13 of 13 Posts