Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, when you open the hood, there is no weatherstripping to keep the dirt out of the engine bay. So heres a quick diy to solve the issue. You will need, masking tape, razor blade, old piece of weatherstripping(lots of body shops have them lying around) wax and grease remover and 3M 80119 weatherstrip adhesive. Once you apply the adhesive, let it stand for 5 minutes until it becomes tacky, then press against the bumper and hold the edges with masking tape. On a sunny day it will be dry withing minutes. Here are a few pics..

Attachments

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I closed the hood with the strip i could still see a gap between the bumper since the gap is so huge, so I decided to put one on the bumper as well. It all depends on what size weatherstripping you can find. I work at a body shop so I used the thickest piece i could find. No such thing as too much weatherstripping.:thumb:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also the great thing about the adhesive is that if you ever need to remove it it just comes off by rubbing it with your thumb

·
Registered
360 Posts
When I closed the hood with the strip i could still see a gap between the bumper since the gap is so huge, so I decided to put one on the bumper as well. It all depends on what size weatherstripping you can find. I work at a body shop so I used the thickest piece i could find. No such thing as too much weatherstripping.:thumb:
Unless it is keeping the designed airflow from getting into your engine bay. :LOL:

Wes

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Owned 4 cars before this one, all of them had some sort of seals. My previous Lexus had the engine bay sealed off so well that in 3 years it still looked brand new. Ill keep an eye on the temperature though, if anything changes ill give an update, I think the big grille and the intercooler should provide sufficient cooling.

·
Registered
700 Posts
interesting, I would like to see how this pans out over the next 3 months.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update with engine and under hood temperatures. Its been a few days, no changes so far, The hood insulator is keeping the debris out well, the engine bay still looks spotless and I haven't noticed any change in the temperatures.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello again, Just another update. All the temp gauges are reading normal. Nothing has changed since installing the weather stripping. The engine bay is still very clean.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey again, just another update on the weather seals. So far so good, its been a month or so and no issues with temperatures or overheating of any sorts. The engine bay still looks nice and clean.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Coolant/oil temperatures read on the gauges in the cabin will not be influenced much by engine bay temps. Only way to know would be to have a thermal probe reading the bay temp with and without the front seal.

In any case, glad it is working out :thumb:

·
Registered
336 Posts
Do you have any issues with the hood hitting the headlights? Also can you post a pick from the front looking in the gap between the hood and bumper. Looks good might try the upper seal.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have aligned the hood as low as I can without hitting the headlights. Just twist the rubber bump stops one turn at a time till the gap is decent. Also the headlight is adjustable a bit if you loosen the screws and push them outward away from the hood. Ill get a picture of the gap at work tomorrow and will post.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have aligned the hood as low as I can without hitting the headlights. Just twist the rubber bump stops one turn at a time till the gap is decent. Also the headlight is adjustable a bit if you loosen the screws and push them outward away from the hood. Ill get a picture of the gap at work tomorrow and will post.
Yeah my headlights only hit the hood if you apply pressure on the hood. the hood tucks behind with out contacting the hood. only the underside of the hood will contact if I adjust the stops down further. Since I have adjusted the hood I don't get as much dirt under the hood I just want to put the upper seal on to prevent the dirt in the winter.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
IMG-20130702-00685.jpg IMG-20130702-00686.jpg heres the hood gap. close as I can get for now. Since I work at a bodyshop, when I get time Ill take the front end off and re align everything much better

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey. So far it has been great. I finally got a chance to adjust my hood nice and tight to the bumper so the gap is much better. The engine bay itself is still very clean. Just a bit of dust which I wipe down maybe once every few months. With the new tighter gap I am pretty sure a seal just on the hood itself would be sufficient.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts