Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I was on Fordparts.com and found weatherstripping hood front part# 16B990 its listed for$31.90 though about checking it out.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
since I work at a body shop there's plenty of old weatherstripping that lies around, so I'm sure if you go to one of the shops in your area they will probably give you an old scrap piece as well. The adhesive can be bought at any auto parts retailer

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
looks good

·
Registered
336 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
After picking up the part yesterday I looked at the mounting and it doesn't line up with the holes on the hood. Here it is installed on a standard Focus. 2.jpg No holes on the ST to mount it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
The gap is there for a reason. People stop complaining. It's how the car was designed. You don't see it on the non ST focus since they have a different front end.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Jon, will that one work at all if you modify it?
You could cut the tabs off the back and glue it to the plastic on the bottom. In the similar location of the picture.

Sent from Galaxy S4

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
The gap is there for a reason. People stop complaining. It's how the car was designed. You don't see it on the non ST focus since they have a different front end.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3.
My issue is that the car sucks in dirty, salty water from the road and lightly sprays it across the engine bay. It isn't a flood by any means, but I don't like it and am not convinced that the gap is needed for engine cooling or other purpose.

·
Registered
336 Posts
How much did you lower your hood? I have mine low enough and it stops getting road spray inside.

Sent from Galaxy S4

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The hood latch is not adjustable since it's bolted to the plastic rad support so I took it off and elongated the latch holes about an 1/8 of an inch made a pretty good difference in the gap.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
All I've done is lower the rubber stoppers as far as they'd go. I haven't tried modifying the latch assembly. I can live with this but I don't have to be thrilled about it. I definitely won't put in an aftermarket intake like I put in my last car. The only option would be something that retains the factory airbox for me as I would not trust an aftermarket intake with an open design to stay dry. I'm staying stock for the foreseeable future anyway. Maybe the RS will have a better seal.

·
Registered
50 Posts
All I've done is lower the rubber stoppers as far as they'd go. I haven't tried modifying the latch assembly. I can live with this but I don't have to be thrilled about it. I definitely won't put in an aftermarket intake like I put in my last car. The only option would be something that retains the factory airbox for me as I would not trust an aftermarket intake with an open design to stay dry. I'm staying stock for the foreseeable future anyway. Maybe the RS will have a better seal.

I just put on the FSWerks OEM green filter kit that keeps the air box for that reason.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts