Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curios to see if anyone had any info on whether the 1.6, 2.0, 3.5 had carbon-ing intake valve issues like VW/Audi, and BMW face. I know with the VW/Audi and BMW its a huge issue, so much so that they developed a Walnut blasting process for the 335i's where you take the intake off, and blast each valve every 30,000 miles or so.

Issue:

In the olden days of Carb'd/Injected cars, the fuel mixture passed the Intake valve, and since gas is a solvent, kept the valve clean. With Direction Injected cars the fuel mixture does not pass the valve. In the German makes above with turbo'd engines, oil fumes/gunk and carbon enter the system through the PCV, EGR and emissions systems and build up on the stems and head of the intake valves. This causes a flow restriction and a huge degradation in performance.

A simple google image search nets tons of pics like this of the BMW N54.

n54.jpg

Some say an aftermarket Catch Can helps. I'm hoping its a engine make specific issue and not a problem for ecoboosts. Anyone have info, I know the 3.5 has been out for quite awhile now?

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I have heard this concern voiced at the introduction of the Ecoboost motors and to date, haven't seen and problems with the carbon build up mentioned.

Ford did some very extreme torture testing of the Ecoboost 6 and had no carbon build up.

I've heard of people seafoaming their engines but the mechanic I've talked to say stay away from the stuff. And without a concern being documented, I'm inclined to not worry about it.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have heard this concern voiced at the introduction of the Ecoboost motors and to date, haven't seen and problems with the carbon build up mentioned.

Ford did some very extreme torture testing of the Ecoboost 6 and had no carbon build up.

I've heard of people seafoaming their engines but the mechanic I've talked to say stay away from the stuff. And without a concern being documented, I'm inclined to not worry about it.
Yeah I won't touch Seafoam. I know Subaru sold intake track/throttle body cleaner as the EJ engine is a dirty pig and didn't come with any kind of separator.

The 3.5 has a built in oil separator. A friend with an SHO sent me a pic sometime back. Don't have the pic anymore though.
Do you know if the 1.6, 2.0 do?

·
Registered
903 Posts
A little off topic, but Seafoam is fine if you dump it into your gas tank (for stabilizing your fuel and even cleaning your injectors). But I'd never dump it directly into the intake. So if that's what you guys are against, then I agree, otherwise I don't.

Also don't we have an Oil Separator?

·
Registered
690 Posts
Exactly my thoughts.

There's a near full teardown of a 2.0 Focus ST on another board.

There are pics of valves with what appears to be carbon, but since the motor in the pics was in a serious crash and ingested some plastic it's hard to tell if it's from oil or plastic.

the thread also has pics of the oil separator.

no idea what the link is, and I'm at work, working so I can't look it up.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I looked up pictures of the Oil Separator on the Workshop Manual site. Seems straight forward and serves nearly the same purpose as a catch can (as in it separates vaporized oil from liquid oil). I see no issue. I'm not going to worry.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Wow! Any noticeable loss in power?

·
Registered
11 Posts
No symptoms yet.

Wow! Any noticeable loss in power?

I don't have any issues yet. I love the engine. I have the Ford Racing tune, 27 mpg and the low-end torque is fantastic. I showed the video of the carbon build up to my local Ford technicians and they agree that I have a serious problem and recommended getting a walnut blast to remove the carbon. Ford has no official solution yet. I will be surprised if other northern climate ST owners don't have the same problem. At 25k my build up is very noticeable. What I'm finding is that one will need around a $500 every 40-50k walnut blast to keep the engine viable. This does not seem right for a new 2013 engine. Guess I'll go get a Camaro SS...

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't have any issues yet. I love the engine. I have the Ford Racing tune, 27 mpg and the low-end torque is fantastic. I showed the video of the carbon build up to my local Ford technicians and they agree that I have a serious problem and recommended getting a walnut blast to remove the carbon. Ford has no official solution yet. I will be surprised if other northern climate ST owners don't have the same problem. At 25k my build up is very noticeable. What I'm finding is that one will need around a $500 every 40-50k walnut blast to keep the engine viable. This does not seem right for a new 2013 engine. Guess I'll go get a Camaro SS...
I just heard about this product and was considering doing some investingating
CRC Intake Valve Cleaner

I haven't used it personally, but have read of people doing Seafoam injections into the intake manifolds on BMW 1 series to help with build up. Since GDI is relatively new technology I wouldn't be surprised to see some issues on the first couple generations.

Just curious, what are the concerns about doing Seafoam injections, other than I am not particularly fond of the idea of modifying the intake manifold to except the injection.

-cheers

·
Registered
903 Posts
Just curious, what are the concerns about doing Seafoam injections, other than I am not particularly fond of the idea of modifying the intake manifold to except the injection.

-cheers
As long as you don't get any in the turbo, intercooler, or on sensors there isn't an issue. You can just take off the sensor before the intake manifold and dump it in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Good idea, just need to be careful when there is already large carbon build up.

As long as you don't get any in the turbo, intercooler, or on sensors there isn't an issue. You can just take off the sensor before the intake manifold and dump it in.
I discussed this approach with my local Ford and Porsche technicians and the main concern they had is that if there is a lot of carbon already built up it can break off in a big chunk and wreck the turbine blades. They did seem to think that if you don't yet have carbon build up that this approach (spraying into the manifold) might be a good idea as a preventative. I'm thinking of getting the cobb symposer delete as this provides a small access hole where one could inject the solvent directly into the manifold.

I had my local shop (Auto Edge, Mahtomedi, MN) has walnut blast equipment as they service a lot of German (Audi) with this problem. I just had them do my Focus and other than the $400 price tag was pretty painless. They took before and after pictures and it now looks pretty good. Next I'm going to install an RX Performance catch can.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had my local shop (Auto Edge, Mahtomedi, MN) has walnut blast equipment as they service a lot of German (Audi) with this problem. I just had them do my Focus and other than the $400 price tag was pretty painless. They took before and after pictures and it now looks pretty good. Next I'm going to install an RX Performance catch can.

Any chance you could upload the before and after images and the number of miles and how those miles were racked up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
As soon as RX Performance ships me the correct bracket I will be mounting their catch can. I will monitor the valves with my scope and post updates.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know if my results are typical, but my '13 ST keeps running better and better with more miles. Currently it's at about 48K and it has more power, more consistently than it ever has. If you look at older posts of mine you'll see me complaining, ad nauseam, about unpredictable power output from the engine. But recently it has been getting more consistent and powerful. I have no catch can and no mods or tune. I've never had an opportunity to get a look at the valves, so I can't say how much build-up they have on them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts