Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the Dodge boys are stepping into the ring. The original Neon SRT4 was a bruiser of a car with the turbo 4 it had. It sounds like the Dart will be getting some performance to target the ST and its various competition.

Marchionne confirms Dodge Dart SRT4

During a recent interview with Automobile Magazine, Chrysler Group and Fiat SpA CEO Sergio Marchionne confirmed that the company is currently a Dodge Dart SRT4 but the Chief Exec did not offer any details on the high performance variant of the new C segment sedan. There have long been rumors of a pending Dodge Dart SRT4 which have been bolstered by comments from SRT President Ralph Gilles but Sergio Marchionne’s comment to Automobile about the existence of the SRT Dart is the first piece of official information that it is in the works. Marchionne went on to state that "the only thing we're fighting over now is to determine how big an engine we stick in it."
The 2013 Dodge Dart is available with three different engines starting with a naturally aspirated 2.0L 4-cylinder (160hp, 148lb-ft of torque), followed by a turbocharged 1.4L 4-cylinder (160hp, 184lb-ft of torque) and topped off with the new 2.4L Tigershark 4-cylinder engine (184hp, 171lb-ft of torque). The company has already shown that they can squeeze 210hp out of a naturally aspirated 2.4L Tigershark engine but that isn’t going to be enough for the Dart SRT. The engine that arrives in the Dart SRT will likely pack forced induction and to be taken seriously, the power output would need to be up around the 300 horsepower mark. That seems like a stretch from the 1.4L motor found in the Fiat 500 Abarth and many of the Dart models but the 2.4L Tigershark 4-cylinder mated to a turbocharged may allow this compact engine to make big power while still offering acceptable fuel economy figures.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm a little worried about that ride. I know the Dodge boys make a stout motor from the bottom to the top. Hopefully Ford has put some thought into the strength of this motor. Its nice that the horsepower wars are back and stronger than ever!!

·
Registered
373 Posts
You'll be lucky to see this car in dealers 12 months from now. If you want to wait, you've got a long wait ahead of you... a low volume performance car is not a high priority for Dodge/Fiat. (The Viper is a different story since it's a halo car meant to get foot traffic through dealers, not to sell in huge numbers.)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I think dodge will do a good job, I used to hate there interior's but they are getting awesome just like ford's. If they go awd and shoot for the 300hp mark I will be sold in a heart beat. If they stick with fwd and dont do anything like revoknuckle or what the st has then i could care less.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will be shocked if this car will truly have the finesse to really compete with the ST
The quality of the SRT line is usually pretty darn good. I have a feeling the motor will be nice and strong too. The suspension and other parts are what I'm most curious about.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
WELL the Tigershark engine is also one of those 'world engines' made by Hyundai..
SO, being a lifelong Dodge nut, and not liking that they were bought by FIAT and the fact that Dodge took bailout money; I have a certain level of ire in matters.
The curb weights on the vehicles are close. The metal composition of the chassis isnt. Ford has better alloy.
From what I have seen, of matters thus far, the DartSRT will be faster in a straight line and the Ford in the twisties and still have better mileage.
Also against the Dart: I dont like to see cars designed by committee.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm curious if they will go AWD with the Dart SRT4, dodge is building a Dart rally car.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The Tiger Shark motors are a clean sheet of paper design with nothing in common with the previous 2.0 and 2.4, they are an all Mopar design. They spent a tremendous amount of time on NVH control and from what I have read they are among the very best 4cyl motors available.

The SRT is supposed to be available in 2013. I would guess the handling will be very close to the ST since the car is based off the highly regard Alfa.

·
Registered
288 Posts
The 2013 Dodge Dart will be based on the Alfa Romeo Giulietta. From what I've read about the cars they won't handle as well as the ST. That was just some quick research and not very comprehensive.

·
Registered
547 Posts
C&D liked the Focus better.
They did indeed. And I think the SRT4 version is still a year away, at least.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I'm curious if they will go AWD with the Dart SRT4, dodge is building a Dart rally car.
If it has AWD, it'll be the only car in its class to go from FWD to AWD for the performance version. Personally, I wouldn't bet on it unless the SRT division has a difficult time putting the power down to the wheels. The extra weight and cost of an AWD system would likely cut into potential sales... and with the way Dodge will want to price the thing (right around where the ST is priced now, I assume), it'll be tough to do with the extra costs of AWD.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My guess is they'll do something like the abarth. Equal length half shafts and some electronic tricks.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I am not concerned with the SRT-4. It is a brute. Not to refined and will most likely be out handled and out refined by the ST. It will however spank the ST in the HP department and straight line speed. The prev SRT's were light and fast! def wolf in sheeps clothing.

Reactions: Rev.Hammer

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm certain that the dart will be fwd. Do to cost and weight there is no way an awd option will be available. I will agree it will beat the ST in hp, but I'm sure the refinement and handling will lack a touch.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts