Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The navigation on MyFord Touch sucks on my car. The accuracy is not good at all. 1/2 the time it shows me on the left or right of the actual road I am on. It also has me .25 to .5 miles behind my actual location, so when I turn it shows me on the wrong street, or on no street at all. This makes turn by turn useless. Anyone else having issues?

I am supposed to have the latest version of the firmware.

I have emailed my sales person to see if she has any ideas, or if I need take it in for service.

EDIT: IT'S FIXED!!
Ok I pulled the 2 fuses for the nav and screen and let is sit for 30-40 seconds before I left work. So far it is working perfectly. I took the exact same route home that i took last night and it kept my exact position correctly. I drove to supper and back and still it's working great. I am not gonna say this fixed it for sure yet but so far its working. Try to pull fuse #'s 67 and 79 from the passenger footwell fuse box and see if it works.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Take it in for service. The navigation in my ST3 does not have any of those problems and shows the location of the car accurately. If you do not have the A4 SD card (part of the MFT 3.5.1 update), you should get it as it updates the maps too. Of course, if you are driving on roads that were just built in the last few months, they may not be reflected in the map data yet.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confirmed at lunch that I do have the A4 SD card. It worked great at lunch so I don't know what is going on. I am not traveling roads in new areas (this morning it lost itself on I25 which has been around longer than the 13 years I have lived here) so it is not a map issue.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It has worked well for me, after I became used to the inputs.
If you have a smart-Phone, check your locations with another map service, like google maps, or mapquest. (both theese have apps that will pair with sync) Compare if the phone's GPS is same as the car's. Or could be where your'e @ has is not fully mapped. (just a guess)

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not a map issue

Here are a couple examples. I am traveling south in this picture and the screen showed me way over to the left of the actual road. This is I25 between Denver and Colorado Springs. Road has been there along time

In this next one I am already stopped at the exit stop light. The nav said to turn in .4 miles. It was way off. When I turned it showed me on the wrong street cause it was .4 miles behind my location!

·
Registered
57 Posts
The navigation on MyFord Touch sucks on my car. The accuracy is not good at all. 1/2 the time it shows me on the left or right of the actual road I am on. It also has me .25 to .5 miles behind my actual location, so when I turn it shows me on the wrong street, or on no street at all. This makes turn by turn useless. Anyone else having issues?

I am supposed to have the latest version of the firmware.

I have emailed my sales person to see if she has any ideas, or if I need take it in for service.
That is exactly the issue I've been having since day one.
It shows me on a street to the left or right and never in the correct position.
I love how it puts me in the middle of a field or river..lol..:yay:
I have the 3.2.1 and the a3 card

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have the exact same issue, but have the updated a4 card. The issue seems to be with the GPS locator, and not the map.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Once one of you guys with the GPS positioning problem takes it into the dealer, please bump this thread with the results.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Has anyone with the GPS issue tried disconnecting the negative battery cable to see if it behaves any differently? My car seems to instantly be able to plot my location when turning it on so I'm wondering if it periodically keeps the GPS receiver alive and powered. Might be a simple test to see if it's just a software bug that resets after a power cycle.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This issue is really weird. Yesterday when leaving my house it was accurate but when I got to work it was off. Then when I left work it was accurate but when I got home it was off. I take the same exact route to and from work.

Before I take it in for service I am trying to figure out a pattern. My thought at this point is that when at highway speed 65 mph+ it is somehow 'falling behind' and becoming inaccurate. When I went to lunch yesterday (all 40mph and lower speeds) it was accurate the entire time.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Another thought...in order for GPS to work properly, I think it needs line of sight to the satellite. If you are driving in the mountains or next to tall buildings, it could loose its connection to the satellite for a while, and this might cause the inaccuracy problems. Of course, with proper software, it should put you back in an accurate position once the GPS has line of sight to the satellite again, but maybe there is an MFT bug that does not account for the gaps in signal correctly. Also keep in mind that the GPS unit on the ST does not have access to cell signals for correction info, so it relies on only the satellites it has line of sight to (needs 3 or more satellites to work correctly).

You might also try the trick I used recently with a different map display issue in navigation (more details here). Basically, if nav is showing an incorrect location, eject the SD card, wait 30 seconds, then click it back in. This may force MFT to reposition the location of the car on the map correctly.

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
its not a light of sight issue with my car. I am at 6000' in elevation as well, so I am a mile closer to the satellites than some one at sealevel. my speed theory was shot down at lunch, never went over 40mph and it was behind again. Seams the system lags and then when you turn it has you driving off the road. very frustrating.

I will try to pull the card next time its lost and see if that helps.

Edit:

Its not really like it lost signal. it turns every time I turn, it just is behind my actual location and it gets worse the farther I drive.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I believe GPS works by timing how long a signal takes to get to the receiver. It compares this delay against 3 or more satellites to determine x/y movement. I believe a 4th satellite is required to determine altitude (z). At any rate, if the internal clock on the MFT system is off, it could be mis-timing the signal, and thus calculating the wrong location. Just a thought. I'd still recommend taking it to the dealer to have checked, but depending on their skill level, you may have to try more than one dealer :(

Reactions: Cowlynz

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
gonna try the SD card removal deal see if that helps. may try a master reset, if that does not work I will have to take it in.

My clock is accurate, and like I said my position is accurate sometimes. it almost seams like the thing is set for KM but the map is showing Miles. its falls behind like it thinks I am traveling less distance than I really am.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
My clock is accurate...
Does your displayed time stay accurate if you disable the GPS option? If not, this could be the problem. If you have the GPS option on for the clock, then the internal clock does not have to be accurate as it will just get the time from the GPS satellite.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've seen similar issues on my handheld Garmin and a couple times on a Garmin and TomTom GPS where it would be off and showing me traveling parallel but maybe ten or twenty meters east or west of my actual path. Usually resetting the device would correct the issue which is why I suggested disconnecting the battery (or remove the fuse(s)) although on one or two occasions it persisted. On my handheld Garmin this was usually when signal quality wasn't great and using minimal satellites.

The MyFord Touch (MFT) system time shouldn't have any impact on GPS reception even if you have it set to use the GPS time sync. If I recall correctly for a moving GPS receiver the equations it runs requires four satellites. Each satellite is broadcasting continuous messages with a timestamp and the satellite's position. The timestamps are all based on UTC/GMT (Zulu) time zone and for a GPS receiver to display the correct local hour time it needs to be programmed with the time zone position information as well as if daylight savings is applicable.

If the MFT system didn't have a good satellite lock I could see it increasing the chances of navigation errors if it was using minimal satellites and the calculations were off, but unless there is a service menu or way to display the satellite data it would be hard to tell. Especially with being winter time and with heavy cloud or moisture and combined with some locations the accuracy could be off if the system can't get a good lock. That could also be the result of a defective antenna, bad cable, etc.

The GPS part of the system might be working perfectly fine too and it could just be a software issue related to the display and updating the tracking in the navigation software for the MFT. If it's happening on rare occasions like in mountainous areas or during inclement weather I'd be more willing to chalk it up as an expected glitch or limitation of the technology but if it is continually off a service visit to the dealer may be in order.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I will try a power cycle and see if that helps. I am ruling out environmental issues. Even though its winter here in Colorado we get 300+ days of sunshine and its been cold, clear and dry in the last few days when I have been watching this issue.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Yeah, this is not environmental. This happens to me in flat, unobstructed areas, in clouds or in clear conditions. It's very frustrating because this problem renders the navigation system useless. The directions change because the car thinks I'm on a different, side road, or not following the original route (and tries to recalculate). I will try the power cycle issue, and popping the card in and out, but will likely visit the dealer about the issue in the coming weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok I pulled the 2 fuses for the nav and screen and let is sit for 30-40 seconds before I left work. So far it is working perfectly. I took the exact same route home that i took last night and it kept my exact position correctly. I drove to supper and back and still it's working great. I am not gonna say this fixed it for sure yet but so far its working. Try to pull fuse #'s 67 and 79 from the passenger footwell fuse box and see if it works.

I will post in this thread in a couple days with an update.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts