Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know everyone has a dream car so I thought I'd share mine, I'm not interested in the fastest cars on the planet but if I had the cash these three would definitely be in my garage.

1. McLaren F1
2. Ford GT
3. Lamborghini Countach

Reactions: ATX Eric

·
Registered
869 Posts
Great fun thread while we wait for production updates!

I'm in. Gonna have to do some thinking though. Since there are no "rules" here, and I have too many to list, I'm gonna use the method someone on another board had, which was if you could own ONLY ten cars for the rest of your life, what would they be?

I'll be back!!

·
Registered
693 Posts
U know this isn't fair. How can us car peps only pick a few. The list is long for sure. However there are a couple I would love to own.
1) 1949-51 Mercury coupe (chopped of course)
2) 2012 Z06
3) pagani huayra (carbon edition)
I think the first 2 can be obtained, however the Pagani, well that will remain an infinite dream...........

·
Registered
908 Posts
3) pagani huayra (carbon edition)
I love asking people to pronounce Huayra, to see if they can. And they can't. Ever.

A dream car is something that is ever-changing, with all these new fancy supercars being announced every day. My dream classic car would have to be a Jaguar E-Type Roadster. The first time I saw one of those (at a gas station on the South-West side of Berlin) my heart raced - I was in love.

And regarding current cars, I like the looks of the Aston V12 Zagato.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Okay, I'm back...

Get on your reading glasses. :)

This list is limited only by driveability. Meaning, I would never want to own a car that would be SO collectible that I'd refrain from driving it. Aside from the “supercar” category below, I could romp on any day with any of these. I have no use for vintage Ferraris, now or in my super-rich future. :)

I'll try that on for size. These aren't in order of want, but categorized for use.

1. UTILITY/TOWING: This one is tough. But I'd want a proper pickup truck. As much as an SUV-type hauler might appeal to me, there are times I don't want what I'm carrying to be in the same enclosed space as me. Because of that, I have to rule out my two runners-up, the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT-8 4X4, and the Mercedes-Benz G63 AMG. For me, the winner here is the Dodge Ram SRT-10 Quad Cab. One of the few “performance trucks” ever built to actually tow a load, it would more than do the job for me. Also a fairly rare vehicle.

2. GRAND TOURER: Audi A8L. You can't really go wrong in this segment, given that prices are high and amenities are stacked, but the A8L has always had a place in my heart as what a right and proper cross-country tourer should be. If the S8 came in a long wheel base, I might upgrade. But the A8 isn't meant for performance, really. Just comfort over the long haul. And that's exactly what I'd be using it for. After all, excess is in long supply in this list.

3. FAMILY GROCERY GETTER: This is a dream list, so any consideration under this title is more than a bit ridiculous. And with much, MUCH respect to the Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Black Series sedan, and the (only memorable thing GM did with) Lotus Carlton, this title goes to the BMW M5. Yes, its heavy. Yes, its excessive, but it has four doors, plenty of room, and is one of the rare full-sized sedans you can STILL buy with a manual transmission.

4. BEACH BUM-MOBILE: An obscure category, to be sure. But if this list were to come to fruition, then I'd be spending more free time closer to the coast. Try as I might, I simply can't get past the idea of owning a Volkswagen Thing for these duties. And there is no close substitute for me. Fiberglass, simply, easy to work on, cute as can be, functional and able to be abused completely guilt free. I fell in love with these in Western Mexico many years ago, and I still hold a place for them in my heart.

5. ROADSTER: This might be the toughest category. The BMW Z8 was an instant classic, but seems to nice and too proper for me. The Austin-Healey 3000 is still gorgeous after all these years and handles amazingly for its age. But its just a tick below what I can get in more modern cars. The Lotus Elan is still brilliant, but plagued with systems issues and just a touch too small for my American frame (which isn't particularly big). So it comes down to two. The Mazda MX-5 is essentially a genetically engineered clone of the Elan. All of the spirit is there, and it does everything better. I have already owned three of these, and every time I sell one, I go back and buy another. There are few cars I have driven, of many, that have imparted such pure joy as the Miata/MX-5. It is one of my finalists. And then newcomer is the Porsche Boxster Spyder. I owned an early Boxster. It was fine. It wasn't great. A little dull and a little numb, really. Yes, really. But the Spyder is its own animal. Every input you make at speed makes it feels like it is put together with the tendons of an olympic sprinter. Instant response. On the track it makes you feel like a superhero. Grip for miles. And the sound. Oh it sounds good. And it may sound a bit crazy, but my tough choice is the MX-5. I have plenty of other powerful cars in my stable here, and there is a special bond I have with the Miata. The car is a great metaphorical reminder for me, too. Almost allegorical. It isn't the best at anything, really, but the designers and engineers of the car have persevered through more than two decades of second-guessing, pedantry and slurs and continued to make a car true to it's core ideals. And remarkably, it shines through, despite all of that doubt. An icon.

6. SNOW QUEEN (FRONT-WHEEL DRIVE): Okay, so saying these cars are good in snow is like a gardener from Minnesota telling me that my tomatoes need full sun in Texas. Both me and my tomatoes are gonna end up dead. But I had to create some sort of an excuse for a front-driver on this list. For me, there aren't many contenders here, but the one I'd HAVE to have would be a mid-60s Mini Cooper S. 1275cc motor (or maybe I'd cheat and get a 1380cc). Along with the Miata, still on my very short list of cars that can make me smile almost instantly upon beginning a drive. The classic MCS is light, nimble, quick, and criminally (insane) fun. Almost 60 years later, this car is still a gold standard for handling. Nods here to runners-up the Acura Integra Type-R (a seminal car in it's own right) and the late model MINI Cooper John Cooper Works, which remains one of the top three braking street cars I have ever driven.

7. SUPERCAR: To buy a Ferrari or not to buy a Ferrari. The F430 is amazing. But I don't think I'm going to give Modena the satisfaction for numerous reasons. From upkeep (even if I was filthy rich) to unwanted attention, to Ferrari's unforgivable and control freakish requirements for free world media, I'm out. And this category is tough for me. I don't find much value in traditional supercars besides their appearance. They are almost all far too much car for me. They are beautiful, but kind of obnoxious. So my list comes down to two. They are both pioneers and icons, and one is arguably the greatest four-wheel drive vehicle ever built. THAT would be the Porsche 959. I want one, and there aren't many of them. But because of that, I don't really want one, because I wouldn't drive it. Well, yes I would. Once. And despite my distaste for collectors that never drive their driveable collections, I will admit that there is sadness and dishonor in treating a true museum piece like I would on the road. And that is why I have to pass on the Porsche, and go buy an original Acura NSX. And some folks will curse at me through their screens now. But I believe this is one of the most ahead-of-its time supercars ever made. I think it was a primary reason that the Italians got back on their games again. I know that it is a joy (and can be a handful) to drive, even being as “underpowered” as it is. I can think of VERY few cars that can stand up to present day competition that are 20 years old. Not only that, but I can drive it regularly without issue and without TOO much unwanted attention. Perhaps a strange choice, but one I wouldn't regret.

8. TRACK RAT: This was another one that was very difficult. My runner up is the Dodge Viper ACR/ACR-X. The thing is just a MONSTER. But a very well-behaved beast at that. In part due to tires wider than a Japanese bathroom, the car is incredibly stable at even obscene speeds. Breakneck acceleration and torque, and the first Viper to feel like a well-sorted car instead of a weird truck/car hybrid. And yet, it can't quite best the Porsche 997 GT3 RS in my collection. The main reason? Steering. To be fair to the Viper, its meant to be a race car (especially the X), but Porsche always gets it right with road feel and steering, and the 997 GT3 RS is a pristine example of this. The 996 was a death machine that could swap ends easily on even a good driver, but the 997 is more planted, more forgiving, sounds better, and is just one of the best damn cars you could ever hope to drive. Ready. Let's go. Big apologies go out to Lotus for a second snub. This time with the incredibly worthy Elise/Exige platform, which are still among my favorite track monkeys. Almost.

9. MUDDER: I love to drive off road. I don't much. I haven't much. But when I have, BOY has it been fun. And I have to include the requisite non-truck AWD vehicle in this list. There are a long line of worthy contenders from Subaru and Mitsubishi. And they are all (mostly) great cars. But I can't help but go back a little ways for this one. The Lancia Delta S4 is very tempting, but for similar reasons to the 959, I think I'd have trouble actually driving one on the road. So my actual purchase would more likely be the Audi Ur-Quattro. Possibly the worst dog on this list, it is also a rare affordable gem that would be a blast to drive and a usable piece of cool automotive history.

10: WILD CARD: Undoubtedly now unveiling my rough age and era of maturation now, my final garage space is reserved for what might be my favorite car on my list. It isn't the fastest, or the best handling (although close), and it isn't perfect, but when I was fortunate enough to own one, I never regretted a moment of it. One day, I would love to stable and drive another one. At once a tribute and a lament to the era of Japanese supercars, my final space goes to the Mazda RX-7 (FD). Under 3,000 pounds and essentially a front/mid-engined car with the 1.3l rotary being place so far aft in the engine compartment, the car was insanely quick for it's day (and still is), handled spectacularly, looked great and will no doubt one day (if not already) be very collectible.

·
Registered
547 Posts
DAILY DRIVER, SUPERCAR, GROCERY GETTER, SNOW QUEEN, & TRACK RAT: 2012+ Nissan GTR :D

·
Registered
753 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A guy I use to work with has a GTR, beautiful car, I don't know what year it is.

·
Registered
869 Posts
DAILY DRIVER, SUPERCAR, GROCERY GETTER, SNOW QUEEN, & TRACK RAT: 2012+ Nissan GTR :D
I can personally attest to the fact that "Track Rat" should not be on that list. A little disconnected, too heavy, too interventionist and often-overheating. :D

Great car, though. A tech breakthrough/wonder.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I would need a very big garage...

for my daily driver:
Cadillac CTS-V Wagon (of course in stick)

To Haul my Big-A$$ imaginary boat.
Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Crew Cab (would have to be a 2500 because it's the only way to get a stick :) )

For Road trips
Explorer Conversion Van .

For the back road tours
Porche Cayman S

For navigating the apocalypse that would happen before I would ever get enough money to afford the cars above :)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (I already have one now, I would just put a lot more money into it )

·
Registered
869 Posts
I would need a very big garage...

for my daily driver:
Cadillac CTS-V Wagon (of course in stick)

To Haul my Big-A$$ imaginary boat.
Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel Crew Cab (would have to be a 2500 because it's the only way to get a stick :) )

For Road trips
Explorer Conversion Van .

For the back road tours
Porche Cayman S

For navigating the apocalypse that would happen before I would ever get enough money to afford the cars above :)
Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (I already have one now, I would just put a lot more money into it )
GREATchoices! I'm a big fan of the CTS-V wagon, too.

And I've taken a fancy to conversions and really well-appointed VW Vans, too. Cayman S is never a bad choice.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Well... y'all already know I aint right in the head so here goes anyway:
M809 5 ton
1967 Cadillac with a CTD stoked to about 800hp
Bugatti Veyron Super Sport
1971 Hemi Challenger
Confederate MotorCycles X132
Ford Focus RS500 ( modified )
as a start..

·
Registered
894 Posts
Reactions: jackamick

·
Registered
547 Posts
I can personally attest to the fact that "Track Rat" should not be on that list. A little disconnected, too heavy, too interventionist and often-overheating. :D

Great car, though. A tech breakthrough/wonder.
Very true. Its a compromise car. Through the miracle of electronics, the GTR is good at a lot of things, but not great (except if you consider straight-line acceleration, 0-60 in under 3 sec)

1 - 20 of 56 Posts