Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All -

While stopped at a particularly long stoplight, I started playing with the trip display settings and stumbled on the Eco Mode screens. I can't for the life of me figure out what they are saying.

I even read the pages in the manual which didn't help at all.

Are those different settings you can pick which will adjust when the gear-shift dummy light goes off in order to help attain better fuel economy or better performance? And what is the point of the leaves that are displayed, they don't do anything? And what about the score that the last screen mentions - where do I see my 'score'?

Any help is appreciated!

·
Registered
353 Posts
The eco mode screen lets you know how economically you're driving. The more petals or leaves that are green, the better your EcoMode "score" will be. So gear shifting is being in the appropriate gear, speed is not going super fast, and anticipation is accelerating and braking smoothly, rather than hard accel and hard brake.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So if I leave it on the eco mode screen, then those leaves will change in accordance with each respective screen? So on the Anticipation screen, it'll tell me how well I do at easing into accelerating and braking by showing me more or less leaves?

·
Registered
98 Posts
The leaves will change while you drive, you can be on any screen. The individual screens give advice based on observed driving style (supposedly) the advice is always the same on mine though.

·
Registered
362 Posts
My speed and anticipation scores always seem to be maxed, but I've had trouble getting the shifting score to even grow one leaf. :LOL:

But then the other day I checked it and I had like 4 leafs on shifting.. Not sure what I was doing differently.

Anyway, it's a fun little minigame.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I plan to use this car as a daily driver, and I have a roundtrip commute of 80 miles or so. So I'd like to extract as much fuel mileage from the engine as possible.

With my turbo-diesel, however, it's not great for the engine to go easy on it and to shift up at very low RPMs, because it can lead to soot build up. You really need to "drive it like you stole it" pretty frequently, to keep the engine happy and to blow the crap out of the pipes (the effect of which is to blow a nice cloud of soot out your tailpipe every now and then, especially when being tailgated).

Are there similar concerns with driving a gas turbo engine so gently? I know it's better for fuel mileage in the short term to avoid boost, etc., but over time, can it lead to similar "build up" problems, if you don't get on the boost frequently?

Thanks.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I plan to use this car as a daily driver, and I have a roundtrip commute of 80 miles or so. So I'd like to extract as much fuel mileage from the engine as possible.

With my turbo-diesel, however, it's not great for the engine to go easy on it and to shift up at very low RPMs, because it can lead to soot build up. You really need to "drive it like you stole it" pretty frequently, to keep the engine happy and to blow the crap out of the pipes (the effect of which is to blow a nice cloud of soot out your tailpipe every now and then, especially when being tailgated).

Are there similar concerns with driving a gas turbo engine so gently? I know it's better for fuel mileage in the short term to avoid boost, etc., but over time, can it lead to similar "build up" problems, if you don't get on the boost frequently?

Thanks.
I have been getting well over 27 MPG, (the computer says 28.5) and usually have perfect 'leaf' scores. I have over 4000 miles on the car, the ECO score seems to be easier once more mileage kicks in, perhaps it learns your driving style and adjusts. I still loose 'gear shifting' at times, but the other scores are high. As long as you don't floor it at every stop light the speed score is pretty easy to maintain. I've never been penalized for acceleration really fast (even flooring it) two or three light s in a row so long as I don't go to 100MPH or something like that.

As far as the engine build up, I'm by no means an expert here, but while reading about the oil catch can it appears that when you use boost a valve opens and allows oil into the engine that usually (is supposed to) be burned off but over time builds up. If I take that logic, then the less you use the turbo, the less that would happen, so driving easier would actually be less harmful? This is as much of a question to others to see if my logic is flawed rather than an answer to your question however.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My speed and anticipation scores always seem to be maxed, but I've had trouble getting the shifting score to even grow one leaf. :LOL:

But then the other day I checked it and I had like 4 leafs on shifting.. Not sure what I was doing differently.

Anyway, it's a fun little minigame.
Agreed. My last tank of gas, I actually tried to get the shifting leaves and it requires a lot of lugging the engine around (shifting before the shift advisor/light comes on). As soon as I maxed all 3 areas and got my "trophy", I dumped the screen and went back to more sprited driving. :)

photo (1).JPG

·
Registered
894 Posts
Reactions: Grabber523

·
Registered
753 Posts
My speed score is maxed but the other two have been completely devoid of leaves, apparently I suck lol :)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Hit the right arrow when you're on the screen that shows average MPG.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
I am beginning to think that I'll never get the ECO "prize".

About 95% of my commute is on I-495. I do very little city driving - so as a consequence most of my time in the car is in sixth gear - so I think I can pretty much forget about getting any leafs in shifting.

Since I am either trying to get to work or going home - forget about getting any leafs for Speed :LOL:

So that leaves me with Anticipation - the only ECO rating that I have consistently got to fully "flower".

The darn things are pretty stingy - hard as heck to get a leaf to pop up - and easy as all get out to have them taken back....

·
Registered
194 Posts
OK - for the past three days I have been trying to snatch the "ECO Prize". Let me tell you, shear agony! No mashing down - shift at the right times .. etc. All the things that sap the fun out of it... And for my efforts I get this pitiful display. As I said before most of my commute is highway - so I am probably NEVER going to get another leaf for shifting.

2012-11-02 07.01.45.jpg

PS... I suspect that this display will be defoliated before I even get out of the parking lot this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts