Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 170 Posts

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In case any of my fellow ST3 owners out there didn't know, we can have the dealership enable our eyebrow LED's as DRL's so they are on all the time automatically without turning on the parking lights. Not all service departments know about this. Technically, this is a feature that is only available in Canada and not authorized by Ford in the States. Service departments will do it with your consent. Here are the directions for the service technician just in case they don't know what to do:

1. Hookup laptop for BCM options
2. Verify VIN
3. Exterior Lighting
4. Daytime Running Lights
5. Ok to bypass warning about unauthorized changes
6. Option Daytime Running Lights - choose to enable
7. Option Daytime Running Lights - None/Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen) - choose Parking Lamps

EDIT: It has come to my attention that this no longer works on 2013 Ford vehicles. Apparently Ford has blocked the ability to enable the option to turn on daytime running lights in the BCM options. Sorry for the confusion everyone. Hopefully Ford will change their minds in the near future and allow this option again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Good job Bolts, I was gonna do this once I got in touch with my dealer again but you beat me to it. Very glad to have this info out there for everyone who wants those beautiful LEDs on all the time (who wouldn't haha).

·
Registered
157 Posts
NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will print this out and bring to the dealer with me.
It's definitely a great find but I don't think us Canadians will legally be able to run only LEDs during daytime driving. Great mod for the US folks. Hey Danny let us know if you can pull it off.

·
Registered
284 Posts
In case any of my fellow ST3 owners out there didn't know, we can have the dealership enable our eyebrow LED's as DRL's so they are on all the time automatically without turning on the parking lights. Not all service departments know about this. Technically, this is a feature that is only available in Canada and not authorized by Ford in the States. Service departments will do it with your consent. Here are the directions for the service technician just in case they don't know what to do:

1. Hookup laptop for BCM options
2. Verify VIN
3. Exterior Lighting
4. Daytime Running Lights
5. Ok to bypass warning about unauthorized changes
6. Option Daytime Running Lights - choose to enable
7. Option Daytime Running Lights - None/Parking Lamps(HID)/Headlamps(Halogen) - choose Parking Lamps
My dealer couldn't do it. The car's program kept locking out apparently. They are going to try again later this week after they contact Ford.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I let my dealership know and they are checking on this for me and if the warranty should be ok by doing this. If I read this correctly though, this is setting parking lamps as the default DRL meaning your tails are on as DRL as well, right?

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had no idea this wasn't enabled by default. I'm going to have to remember this when I get my car in a couple of months (waiting on a build date... still).

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I let my dealership know and they are checking on this for me and if the warranty should be ok by doing this. If I read this correctly though, this is setting parking lamps as the default DRL meaning your tails are on as DRL as well, right?
I believe the tail lights are off.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thanks, because if that is the case, worth it IMO. Otherwise, if it is just setting the parking lights with the tails on as DRL then I can just as easily turn the lights on. :D

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, because if that is the case, worth it IMO. Otherwise, if it is just setting the parking lights with the tails on as DRL then I can just as easily turn the lights on. :D
From other owners of Ford vehicles such as the Explorer who have done this, the taillights weren't on. I'm assuming it will be the same for the ST.

I'm hoping I'm able to make it to the dealership today to have this done. I will update as soon as I do so we know for sure about the tail lights.

·
Registered
894 Posts
if you don't have the LEDs as DRLs, what lights does the car use for DRLs? Or are there no DRLs for US cars?

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
if you don't have the LEDs as DRLs, what lights does the car use for DRLs? Or are there no DRLs for US cars?
I don't think the ST has DRL's technically. For the ST1 & 2, you could just have the headlights come on automatically during the day as DRL's. I could be wrong, but I believe the Focus SEL I rented, the headlights were the DRL's. I don't know if the non ST3 models have their headlights come on automatically already.

When the DRL setting on Explorers is enabled, it just turns on the orange parking lights in the front automatically. The rear taillights aren't on. For Explorers with HID lights, Ford doesn't recommend to have those used as DRL's due to longevity issues. There is a shutter that opens and closes when the headlights are on and off. The shutter is the reason why Ford doesn't not recommend using HID's as DRL's.

I would imagine Ford wouldn't recommend using the HID's headlights as DRL's.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Ok, thanks. It sounds like enabling the LEDs would be a nice safety improvement then.

·
Registered
505 Posts
In Canada the HID's are the default for DRL (Canada is a mandatory DRL country). Whether or not it is legal to run the LED's as DRL in Canada is unclear. There are other cars that have LED's as DRL up here such as Audi, etc. but they seem to be much brighter than the ST. I'm going to see if a dealer will change the LED's to my DRL for me when I get back over there....hopefully soon. I worry that the DRL usage will prematurely wear the HID's.

·
Registered
693 Posts
i was wondering why the leds were not on all the time. Kind of bugged me that i had to always switch them on. Great find!! i will be making a special trip to the dealer to do this.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I called my dealership this afternoon and asked them if they would do this for me. The guy on the phone at the service department said they can do it and told me to bring my ST in anytime. So I drive 30 minutes to the dealership to have this done. The first person at the service department had no idea what I was talking about. They then tried to find the person I spoke with. About 15 minutes later, another person at the service department came and told me they can do it for $60. I asked why they are going to charge me $60 for a few minutes worth of work. I told him the guy I spoke too didn't say anything about being charged for this. This guy leaves and 2 different people come up to me. One tells me to get black electrical tape to cover the sensor so the lights go on by themselves (Of course he has no idea what I want done). At this point, I'm getting pretty pissed off after they guy told me to use tape. The second guy tells me to bring my ST back tomorrow. I told him I just drove 30 minutes here and I was told this can be done today. I explained it would only take a matter of minutes. He then says the technician is busy. I finally had enough so I told them I would never come back and this would be the last time I will ever purchase a vehicle there. Of course they didn't seem like they cared.

Unfortunately the manager I buy vehicles from at this Ford dealership wasn't there. I will attempt to have this done again tomorrow morning at a different dealership.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i work for a Ford dealer in the US, we had a customer get his delivered today and brought me this post to try and get me to turn his on, in the US, there is no way to turn them on. In 2012 they obsoleted our options to change the parameters of settings on the vehicles. If there is a US dealer here that knows how to do it, i would like to know to help some of our customers. but the directions listed here do not apply to the 2012 ST in the states.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Wonder where the OP (boltsfan17) got this info, as the first dealer he tried did not know how to do it. Did that info come from a Canadian manual?

1 - 20 of 170 Posts