Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ah, the infamous discussion about the proper way to break-in an engine. As many of you know, there exists several schools of thought (and strong opinions) despite advances in manufacturing precision, synthetic oils, and factory break-in.

1. Drive it like you stole it - The proper way to seat those piston rings is to do it immediately! Argument, most manufacturers have already brought the engine up to redline before it goes into the car.

2. Don't do anything different - Drive it as you normally would. Argument, how do you define normal?

3. Air on the side of caution & follow the often vague owner's manual
-

The European manual says, non-engine specific:

"Avoid driving too fast during the first 1500 kilometres (1000 miles). Vary your speed frequently and change up
through the gears early. Do not labour the engine."

I tend to use a modified version of how Cobb does a fully-built engine break-in: Technical Articles

0-100 miles, run engine very lightly, no more that 1-2 psi boost, no more than 28% TPS and 3500 RPM, change engine oil and filter. Vary the engine RPM and decelerate the engine under vacuum as frequently as you accelerate the engine, you want your engine to break-in evenly.

100-500 miles, run engine very lightly, no more that 3-5 psi boost, no more than 40% TPS and 4500 RPM. Vary the engine RPM and decelerate the engine under vacuum as frequently as you accelerate the engine; down shift the vehicle to come to a stop rather than using just the brakes.

500-1000 miles, run engine more aggressively, no more that 6-8 psi boost, no more than 50% TPS and 5000 RPM. Change engine oil and filter.

In summary, break-in the engine progressively and change the oil & filter at the first 1000 miles.

What does everyone else do?

·
Registered
417 Posts
I usually go with the car manual. What sucks is I hate car manuals. As I get to 999 miles 9/10. I speed up and when it hit's 1000mi I WOT and start breaking in the car with some spirited maneuvers on curvy roads.

(aka like I stole it). :LO:yay:L:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I'll drive like a grandma the first 1000 miles. Not a lot of highway driving, smooth starts, smooth braking and basically just taking it easy on it out of principle. When I get an ST it'll be more of a pampered brat than Paris Hilton.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I can tell all of you that your car has already been to 70mph on the dyno within its first 2 miles. That's not granny shifting either.lol

·
Registered
184 Posts
Every motor I have built myself I fire up and run it hard. My personal belief is drive it how you plan on treating the entire time you own it. All of my friends do break in periods then beat on them and have more troubles then I would ever want. To each is there own I guess.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I drive spiritedly for the first 1000 miles Change the oil, using dyno oil. Drive it another 3000 miles just as before on the dino oil and then change over to synthetic oil from there on out.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I think we can all agree that, even though the manual won't mention this, it's probably best to change your oil right around the 1000 mile mark

·
4,009 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I'm sorry but I just don't think there's an end-all be-all solution to break-in procedures. It just varies so much from car-to-car.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'll change the oil at about 1000 miles. Not sure if or when I'll switch from factory fill to anything else. I'll run the motorcraft through blackstone and see how well it performs.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Engines are so robust these days that they're going to be able handle just about anything new. If break in was so important, dealers wouldn't let you go WOT in new cars during a test drive, they'd be more careful with their loaners (which they then resell each year), and with computers these days, the car would be programmed to protect the engine.

Instead none of that happens. I drove my E90 BMW when I bought it like I would any other day from the minute I picked it up. Never had an issue.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I'll change the oil at about 1000 miles. Not sure if or when I'll switch from factory fill to anything else. I'll run the motorcraft through blackstone and see how well it performs.
I think this article is pretty spot on...

New Car Care – How to Take Care of a New Car - Popular Mechanics

Also, switching oils from a synthetic to a mineral is not a good idea. Once its synthetic, stay synthetic....your engine seals will thank you.

"I would not, however, change the factory-fill synthetic back to mineral for break-in. Those vehicles typically have carefully assembled engines with instructions to do the first oil change at the regular interval, which could be up to 10,000 miles. In those cases, I simply change the oil early, before 1000 miles, just to be safe."

I can tell all of you that your car has already been to 70mph on the dyno within its first 2 miles. That's not granny shifting either.lol
I was hoping you would comment on this! If our engines are already broken in, it doesn't matter what we do with them afterwards...

·
Registered
440 Posts
I will pickup my new car and drive it like I have been waiting for what seems like an eternity... aka i will drive the :xxx: out of it. I am gonna make everyone in my neighborhood smell my Cat! The only things i can tell you i will not do is hold rpm's on the highway and I will change out the factory snake oil for some amsoil or RP. Within the first 50miles i plan on taking alot of on ramps and off ramps accelerating hard and heel toe downshifting.

·
4,009 Posts
I think this article is pretty spot on...

New Car Care – How to Take Care of a New Car - Popular Mechanics

Also, switching oils from a synthetic to a mineral is not a good idea. Once its synthetic, stay synthetic....your engine seals will thank you.

"I would not, however, change the factory-fill synthetic back to mineral for break-in. Those vehicles typically have carefully assembled engines with instructions to do the first oil change at the regular interval, which could be up to 10,000 miles. In those cases, I simply change the oil early, before 1000 miles, just to be safe."

I was hoping you would comment on this! If our engines are already broken in, it doesn't matter what we do with them afterwards...
I think the way this was quoted is confusing. What the author said was that some high end performance cars come with synthetic oil from the factory and in those cases, they wouldn't recommend going back to mineral oil for break in. They did recommend using mineral oil after the factory oil and then staying with synthetic.

·
4,009 Posts
I plan on taking alot of on ramps and off ramps accelerating hard and heel toe downshifting.
I like this plan because not only is it fun, but it insures that you will have varied the speed and load on the engine. Sounds like a great plan.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts