Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EVO has an ST vs. GTI comparison review in their latest magazine (issue 172, August 2012). I'm downloading it on my iPad as I type.

But you can probably find a torrent easily as well....

·
Registered
908 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's a summary while I read it:

They start out by driving the ST on the Autobahn (they picked it up at the factory in Germany), and hit... wait for it... 162mph "with the car tracking rock-steady". Then they met up with another writer who brought a GTI to compare it to. They prefer the styling of the GTI, on the inside and outside. The even called the ST's exhaust a bit "like an aftermarket afterthought".

Now talking about the actual ride, they really liked the variable steering and the grippy tires. They felt a little torque steer but seemed to like the overall ride and said that the chassis "has got a real flow to it and it seems to genuinely relish the challenge of the demanding road".

Then while driving the GTI, they called it "stodgy" compared to the Focus. It's just a tad slower than the Focus, but they felt the ride was pretty similar. Then, blah, blah, blah, they talk about how nice the GTI is, and how amazing its engine is and... Back to the Focus. "What the Golf doesn't do nearly as well as the Focus is play". They said that the GTI feels a bit dull compared to the ST.

And here's the final paragraph:
On first impressions, Ford has successfully trodden a very fine line with the Focus ST - dynamic enough to be genuinely interesting and sensible enough to justify itself as everyday transport... But it's fair to say that, if you'll let me cash a pun I've been sitting on for the entire story, this is a far more focused car than the Golf GTI. The VW is still a seriously impressive all-rounder - but the ST is definitely set to be the driver's choice. The next big question is how it will deal with the likes of the pricier and more powerful Megane 265 and Astra VXR - a question we'll answer for you as soon as we can.
And then there's another paragraph about Capito leaving Ford for VW, and what the next GTI could be.

Focus ST: 4.5/5
GTI: 4/5

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sounds about right. Regardless, I'm a Ford fan and have always hated any VW for some reason, so the choice is easy. :ST:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts