Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So i have been looking into plastidip for wheels when i came across a video of a whole car being plastidiped (which i hadnt seen before) and IMO it looks REALLY good. I preordered an oxford white ST and after seeing this thought about playing around with the idea of maybe "dipping" different areas of the car for accented color. anyone else thought about this?

here's the video.
(9:19 to see final product)

·
Registered
277 Posts
Theres something similar to this in the powdercoat your wheels thread. I'm getting the blue, so there's not a lot of options for me but I will definitely be plastidipping my rims with gunmetal. I'm going to try it on my Jeep first however to see how I like the dark grey on blue.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've never tried anything like this but might I might like to see the spoiler colored black with plastidip (on a white st). And maybe the side view mirrors.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Im thinking about maybe plastidipping the roof panel (not sure what it's called) black on my white ST and maybe some other random parts

·
Registered
786 Posts
I've read of people who have said plastidip ruined their paint jobs. Fine for wheels and other metal pieces, not so good over paint.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I've done wheels and fenders before on my jeep. It holds up pretty well and is easy to get a good even coat vs the overspray issues of a lot of other rattle-can based paints. I don't know if I'd do it to a brand new car though.

I would go powdercoat route on wheels...and professional paint job on anything body related...small parts like spoilers and mirrors would run you under $100.

I guess if you wanted to spend $5-10 on a can or two of plasti-dip and see what the color looks like before getting it professionally done then that's a thought...you can always peel it off as was previously stated. I just wouldn't be bold enough to leave it on.

·
Registered
693 Posts
im with BlacknBnlue on this. If you change your mind often this would be a great route. I might do the rims for the hell of it. not to sure bout anything else. Do the rims to see if i like it then get them powdercoated for good.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I did some Plasti Dip on my wife's Camaro. We tried a little lower lip black out and then put hood stripes on and eventually did over the roof and trunk stripes too. It was very easy to spray, just be sure you remove the tape very quickly after you have sprayed it. If you wait more than a minute or two the tape will pull up the PDip and you'll get rough edges.

When I get my ST, I think I might spray the lower center lip below the lower grill. I also might black out the spoiler.

·
Registered
277 Posts
I did some Plasti Dip on my wife's Camaro. We tried a little lower lip black out and then put hood stripes on and eventually did over the roof and trunk stripes too. It was very easy to spray, just be sure you remove the tape very quickly after you have sprayed it. If you wait more than a minute or two the tape will pull up the PDip and you'll get rough edges.

When I get my ST, I think I might spray the lower center lip below the lower grill. I also might black out the spoiler.
REALLY digging that hood. Camaro would be on my short list if it weren't for needing 5 seats.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm really digging this product. Ill most likely buy the kit and mess around with it. I like the matte black might have to do the whole car in it. a lot cheaper than a wrap for $2500.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I'm really digging this product. Ill most likely buy the kit and mess around with it. I like the matte black might have to do the whole car in it. a lot cheaper than a wrap for $2500.
please don´t try that.
you can´t dip your blue ST to a black one completely and 100% perfect. you will see blue here and blue there. better you change your order to a black one :)

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

that hood looks awesome!! really making me want to do little bits and pieces of my oxford white ST with matte black plastidip just for fun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts