Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
With only 4 races left this season and of course the all new USGP in Austin ...

who you think is gonna walk away with the 2012 drivers championship ? will Vettel get the crown or will the wiley Spaniard Alonso finally do Ferrari and the Tifosi proud ?

remaining races:
• Indian Grand Prix, New Delhi --- 28 October
• Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, Yas Marina --- 4 November
• United States Grand Prix, Austin --- 18 November
• Brazilian Grand Prix, Sao Paulo --- 25 November

Official Website: formula1.com/

...:)

·
Registered
284 Posts
F1? I moved from Montreal to Charlotte, and now I get as much F1 news as I get hockey news.

Despite this I have watching them build the US GP site, it seems to have a 60s retro feel (but maybe it's just all those Instagram pictures).

·
Registered
440 Posts
It has been a tough season for me... I am a Williams fan.... Pastor is fast but his reckless driving style suits Nascar better, Senna lives in 1 of the biggest Motorsports shadows.

Redbull & Vettel will win.

Adrian Newey for President.

I never miss a race and go every year to Montreal for the GP.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm a huge Webber fan and I like Red Bull in general, but between Vettel and Alonso, I have been rooting for Alonso. I hope he can somehow pull through and beat Vettel, but I'm not so sure it will happen.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Unfortunately I see Vettel winning again. I would love to see Alonso win for what he has done with an underperforming car all year long. And for what it's worth, I still would like to see Kimi pick up a win. He deserves it for being in the points every single race.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Unfortunately I see Vettel winning again. I would love to see Alonso win for what he has done with an underperforming car all year long. And for what it's worth, I still would like to see Kimi pick up a win. He deserves it for being in the points every single race.
Agreed! Kimi deserves a podium. He is prob my favourite active driver.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Indian GP:

Red Bull dominated the second practice session even more emphatically than it did the first in India, with world championship leader Sebastian Vettel ahead of Mark Webber by 0.118s.

The German's best time of 1m26.221s was 0.6s faster than his world championship rival Fernando Alonso could manage in the third-placed Ferrari, though the Spaniard would have taken heart from the F12012's apparently strong race-pace late in the 90-minute run.

The track lost some of the adhesion the field worked so hard to build in through the first session, so the early minutes of FP2 were marked by several names jumping to the front as the track improved all over again.

All the usual suspects, including Jenson Button, Vettel, Alonso and Lewis Hamilton had spells at the top of times in the first 20 minutes before things settled down.

When they did, it was Alonso who emerged as the fastest initial hard tyre runner with a lap of 1m27.402s, some 0.246s faster than Vettel, with Hamilton third. Intriguingly though, Alonso would ultimately end up quickest with the silver-painted tyres.

Massa spun at Turn 11, 20 minutes in, after taking liberties with the Astroturf on the inside. That damaged his hard set and prompted him to become the first of the frontrunners to switch to the yellow-walled soft option tyre.

Lotus's Romain Grosjean suffered a similar mishap.

click / times: autosport.com/news/103718

·
Registered
175 Posts
Looking like Vettel for drivers and RBR for constructor. I still cant believe Kimi is doing this well even after being out of F1 for 2 years. Loving it!

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Redbulls have amazing qualifying pace and seem to be the car to beat. I hope Ferrari can close the gap and make this a photo finish with only a few races left.

Next years is going to be wild with Hamilton at Mercedes and Perez moving to Mclaren. I even heard rumors my boys at Williams will be bringing in a third car and leaving the money making machines that are Maldonado and Senna in race seats and introducing Bottas as a third.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Next years is going to be wild with Hamilton at Mercedes and Perez moving to Mclaren. I even heard rumors my boys at Williams will be bringing in a third car and leaving the money making machines that are Maldonado and Senna in race seats and introducing Bottas as a third.
There's no chance of third cars being introduced. The topic has been bandied about for a while, but as long as Bernie is in charge, this won't happen lest it disrupt competitive parity (how would you imagine scoring the third car's points when everyone else is running two?) - and Williams will certainly not be the pioneering team if and when it happens, mainly because there will be no pioneering teams - it will either be everyone running three-car teams or no one - and also because Williams are a small privateer team regardless of their cash cows who more or less pay for themselves, not Bottas.

My prediction is that Hamilton's arrogance gets the best of him and he pulls a Schumacher at Mercedes. McLaren will struggle with no clear No. 1, as Perez is still much too raw and for some reason I can't see Button having the same strong-handed influence over the team as Schumacher or Alonso or being as babied as Vettel and Hamilton. He's a great guy and a skilled driver and I'm glad he got his title in 2009, but he just doesn't have that killer instinct. Ferrari, on the other hand, look dangerous, but whereas Red Bull will at least maintain a semblance of driver parity, the Prancing Horse will do no such thing and that will be their undoing as Alonso is nowhere near the developer Schumacher was, nor has Luca Badoer or the track days available to him. So it almost looks like Red Bull by default this year and next (barring a winter miracle by Renault) and a free-for-all once turbos come back. I am not complaining, being a Vettel fan, mind you, but the driver moves may have spread the field for 2013 farther apart compared to this year.

On a related topic, any Midwesterners interested in a Montreal road trip for the Canadian GP next year?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm not rooting for Vettel or Alonso. However, I don't think that Mr mind the tires, smooth [Button] has a chance. I would love to see Kimi get a win and I would love to see Senna start to get out of his Uncle's shadow.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I'm not rooting for Vettel or Alonso. However, I don't think that Mr mind the tires, smooth [Button] has a chance. I would love to see Kimi get a win and I would love to see Senna start to get out of his Uncle's shadow.
Let's be honest - Bruno is never going to fill Ayrton's shoes. He was arguably the best driver to ever set foot in an F1 car (or at least Top-5 if you don't agree with No. 1) and Bruno has had a very inauspicious start to his career. He doesn't have the speed to beat out Maldonado - what does that tell you? I'd love to see the Senna name come to prominence in F1 again, but the odds of that happening are fairly slim, IMHO. As far as Kimi getting a win, it was much more likely in the early stages of the season - not so much anymore. Perhaps next year.

A note on Button - you're absolutely spot on in your description of him. He's tough to root hard for - very dependable, very reliable, very intelligent, but...

·
Registered
440 Posts
I will be at the Montreal GP. havent missed 1 in a while. I look forward to that weekend all year long. If you plan on going though book your hotel soon as they sell out and get really pricey.

Worth the cost of admission though between the racing and atmosphere it is a bucket list kind of thing.

Last year on the Saturday night just cruising through the city walking around from bar to bar we saw and heard everything from lambo's to ferrari's. Pagani's to Bugatti's. The worlds rich and famous Jetset to Montreal for F1.

As for the 3 driver thing... I never thought of the Constructor points. You are correct that would never work. I bet Senna is out then with Toto Wolfe being a mentor and sponsor of Bottas.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I will be at the Montreal GP. havent missed 1 in a while. I look forward to that weekend all year long. If you plan on going though book your hotel soon as they sell out and get really pricey.
Yeah, I've gone to Spa in 2008 and Hockenheim earlier this year and the lodging situation has been a nightmare, so I'm going to look far ahead.
As for the 3 driver thing... I never thought of the Constructor points. You are correct that would never work. I bet Senna is out then with Toto Wolfe being a mentor and sponsor of Bottas.
That's probably true, although I still think Senna deserves a proper chance in F1. He's certainly no worse than the Karthikeyans of this world.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts