Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just changed the oil in my FiST for the first time today at 1200 miles. Oil was darker than I expected, glad I changed it. It's a pretty simple job, no guards to remove. Oil plug takes a 13mm socket. I had the correct oil filter wrench but the damn thing was on soon tight it spun on the filter.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Complaints:

*The drain plug threads were boogered up a little and it didn't come out smooth. I reinstalled with a little synthetic grease on the threads, wish I had copper anti seize.
*Come on Ford why would you route lines around the oil filter. PITA.
* The dip stick is impossible to read, why would you do that?
* The oil filter was on impossibly tight. Took me 30min and a whole compliment of tools to get it off.

I machined some aluminum blocks to grab onto the pinch welds and they worked great. I bet wooden blocks would have worked great too and are easier to make for most people.

Sorry, some pics are not oriented right...I posted from an Ipad.

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice panorama pic!

Did mine last week I experienced all the same issues as you did, even the rough threads on the drainplug? I thought there was loctite on the threads? Nope! The bullet shape of the dipstick is near impossible to read, I wish it was flat! The ST takes 4.3 qts, (that's 4 qts, 9 oz) Put 4 qts, 8oz then check carefully.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Do you have a lift in your house / condo? You are my hero!! Another tip I can share is to pre-fill the oil filter a bit. Sounds impossible with the horizontal filter mounting but it can be done. All you want to do is put about 3 or 4 oz & let the filter media absorb the oil while the oil is draining. Just a few less milliseconds without oil pressure during startup..

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've just done mine today aswell and had exactly the same problem with the oil filter!

One question about the choice of oil. Is Ford US specifying that you have to use 5w20? In the UK most Ford dealers are saying to use 5w30 and that's what they have down on their computers.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I've just done mine today aswell and had exactly the same problem with the oil filter!

One question about the choice of oil. Is Ford US specifying that you have to use 5w20? In the UK most Ford dealers are saying to use 5w30 and that's what they have down on their computers.

From the initial release of the Fiesta ST owner's guide supplement Ford is recommending 5W20 motor oil for the 1.6 L EcoBoost, but they do say only that you should use oil which meets their specifications, not that it has to be 5W20 technically.

The 2.0 L EcoBoost in the Focus calls for 5W30 though, so I'm not sure why the 1.6 gets thinner oil when hot except for fuel economy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks Suss, yeah i've got a copy of the American ST supplement printed off and i took that to Ford with me.

I'm pretty sure mine had 5w20 in from the factory as i could see a green tint through all the black when I dropped it.

Having read up a bit online I would agree that it seems fuel economy is one of the main reasons Ford recommend it. Is it possible that it is more of an issue for you guys in the US and Canada because of the lower RON fuel available?

Anyway, I think I will be asking for the 5w20 for the next oil change to see if I notice a difference.

·
Registered
903 Posts
1.6L is a "Euro" engine, the 2.0L is a "US" engine (based on the same architecture). So the testing for the 1.6 was done with 5w20 and the 2.0 was done with 5w30 hence that is what is recommended.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Romancommander - I really like your Aluminum blocks you use to jack up the car. Does the cars weight sit on the pinch weld? or on the material around the slit? (is the slit deeper than the pinch weld?). I cut a hockey puck in half and bolted it to a peace of steel, seems to work Well enough. but i would love to have something like you have. What would you charge for 2 of them? they do not need to be as tall as yours.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Romancommander - I really like your Aluminum blocks you use to jack up the car. Does the cars weight sit on the pinch weld? or on the material around the slit? (is the slit deeper than the pinch weld?). I cut a hockey puck in half and bolted it to a peace of steel, seems to work Well enough. but i would love to have something like you have. What would you charge for 2 of them? they do not need to be as tall as yours.
The slit is shorter than the pinch weld, so the weight of the car is supported by the pinch weld as Ford intended. I actually forgot to take one off and drove around for a week with it just thumb screwed into position. Glad it didn't fall off.

I hadn't really thought about making and selling them, I'll have to get back to you.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts