Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... here is a little thread that I would like to start abut what you need to do the very DAY that you get your car.

First:
Do your dangedest to make sure that they dealership DOES NOT WASH THE CAR.
The reason is that the dealership will wash the car with the same grit filled rags that they have washed a bajillion other cars with. New car prep guys are paid to get cars off the trailer, through inventory, and out on the lot. They are not paid to OCD raddled perfection nuts. Neither are we. We just like it enough to do it for free.
Tell them to do the new car inspection and not to wash it or else you will refuse it.

Second:
Take it straight home or to an area that you can have enclosed. Use a VERY high quality wash ( I LOVE Meguiars and Griots Garage Car Wash ) with VERY clean or virginal microfiber towels. Wash the car THOROUGHLY but gently. Pay attention to body gaps, joints, and seams. Then dry the car IMMEDIATELY. As it says in the Great Manual in Jamaicans 14:2;
Thou shalt not let water spots appear on thy finish! For it is a detestable thing in the eyes of the beholder.
If you are going to remove your badging, THIS is the perfect time to do it . (more on that in a separate article.
Then clay bar it. Take your time. What you do here will be seen the rest of the life of the cars finish. Then wash the car AGAIN, dry the car gain.
If you are going to apply a protective film to your headlights, now is the time to do it!
Have a beer.

THIRD:
Check it for chips, scratches, swirls, etc. Find'em, fixem.
Then re-wash if needed and re-dry.
Now CAREFULLY polish, wax and buff with VERY VERY high quality products. Pay attention to body gaps, joints, and seams, again.
Apply your glass and rubber protectants now. Detail your interior and apply your interior protectants now. You are done with this part! This will be the foundation of an awesome finish for the rest of your ownership of the car and will increase the resale value of the car greatly in the future.
Have two beers.

FOURTH:
Jack the car up and using clean shop rags on the jack stands. Take off the wheels. Apply surface protectant to the wheel wells that are made for black plastic. NOT wax. Wax will make a nasty film that will look like birds pooped upside down in your wheel wells. Detail and wax, yes, WAX , your wheels. This will help with getting brake dust and crap off later and will help keep it from sticking in the first off. Put your wheels back on and PROPERLY torque them down in stages. Check ALL of your fluids that you can. Go to the fuse box on push in on the fuses. They can work loose.
Get a goop called Noalox and smear it on your battery posts to keep them conducting like without any nasty white crap forming on them that limits conduction.
Have a few beers with friends As they oogle and ah over your beauteous ride!

FIFTH;
Get a journal and document EVERYthing that you do to your car, with the mileage being the marker. Take pictures NOW and then paste them into the journal. Photo document all of your mods too. Why no digital? Books dont crap out. Book are transportable. Books make the experience more real and valuable. Keep it like the bible to your car.

There ya'll go. You do this plus the recommend PM's and your car will be gorgeous for a VERY long time!

Be sure to also look at places like Autogeek for chemicals and polishes..

Your Nutty Buddy;
The Rev.H!

·
Registered
908 Posts
Due to my lack of jacks, and not much of an area to really wash my car, I think I'll skip the waxing the wheel part... But I'll definitely have lots of chemicals, polishes, and wax ready for the first day I own the car.

And I like the journal idea, I was going to do something along those lines (gas, maintenance, etc), but totally forgot! Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I was always under the impression that you shouldn't wax, let alone polish, new paint until it's cured for 3-6 months... Is that not the case anymore?

Also, autogeek.net is awesome. I've already picked out the kit I'm going to get for the ST! (The Forum Favorites kit is supposed to be great on black paint)

·
Registered
617 Posts
I was always under the impression that you shouldn't wax, let alone polish, new paint until it's cured for 3-6 months... Is that not the case anymore?

Also, autogeek.net is awesome. I've already picked out the kit I'm going to get for the ST! (The Forum Favorites kit is supposed to be great on black paint)
Nope. Not any more. Paints cured when it gets to you. I follow Rev. H's plan already. I use Zaino and its typically a 6-8 hour process. I only use white 100% cotton borderless towels to wash and dry. Its my "Bonding" time with my car. I read the manual and check out all the little features and snoop around between the coats of polish and wax. You won't believe the stuff that comes off a BRAND NEW car when you clay it. :eek: Alittle elbow grease and love at the beginning will pay huge dividends down the road!
This is pretty much my car detailing bible:
http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=TIPS&Store_Code=Z

·
Registered
417 Posts
Josh is right. You gotta clay the car to get the harmful contaminants out of the paint which can get in there a variety of ways i.e. Picked up from the train ride to the dealership.

You want to polish the car which which enhances and improves the next step: waxing .

Get two grit-guard buckets for the wash. One will be used ONLY to clean your wash mitt or towel. That way you're not using the bucket with the soap to clean and wiping it back into your car.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Due to my lack of jacks, and not much of an area to really wash my car, I think I'll skip the waxing the wheel part... But I'll definitely have lots of chemicals, polishes, and wax ready for the first day I own the car.

And I like the journal idea, I was going to do something along those lines (gas, maintenance, etc), but totally forgot! Thanks.
Actually, this is separate from your maintenance logs. This is also where you will write down your ideas and theories and future mods as well.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

My man... get you 4 jackstands and a decent jack for about 175-200.00 You will THANK me for urging you to do so in the future!

·
Registered
742 Posts
Good post! I've actually been talking to a high end detailer acquaintance of mine about detailing the ST upon arrival. He usually does truly high end stuff... Lambos, Ferraris, Astons, etc., so while he was supportive of doing a good job of maintaining and detailing the ST regularly, he said he didn't believe that it was worthwhile to do the same level or depth of detailing process on what will be a daily driver. He's kinda right, but I'm feeling like starting with a really awesome detail initially will actually help ensure it stays nice longer.

And you make a good point about the journal... we all document our cars online these days, but there's something more meaningful about doing it "on paper". And there's nothing like sitting and flipping through it as time goes on, or showing it to buddies or family. It really helps them understand what the car means to you, which is something some folks don't really get when you just wax poetic and show 'em digital pictures.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts

I got one. Do you? :D

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good post! I've actually been talking to a high end detailer acquaintance of mine about detailing the ST upon arrival. He usually does truly high end stuff... Lambos, Ferraris, Astons, etc., so while he was supportive of doing a good job of maintaining and detailing the ST regularly, he said he didn't believe that it was worthwhile to do the same level or depth of detailing process on what will be a daily driver. He's kinda right, but I'm feeling like starting with a really awesome detail initially will actually help ensure it stays nice longer.

And you make a good point about the journal... we all document our cars online these days, but there's something more meaningful about doing it "on paper". And there's nothing like sitting and flipping through it as time goes on, or showing it to buddies or family. It really helps them understand what the car means to you, which is something some folks don't really get when you just wax poetic and show 'em digital pictures.
I TRULY do promise you that you WILL NOT regret doing the full monty workup on your finish!
ALSO, I like to read it over and over again when I am 'bombing china' ( about the ONLY quiet time I have anymore) and I always get new ideas and focus on where the car is and where I want it to be.

I always tell folks that the VERY FIRST THING that you should do when you start modding a car is to get a notebook and stat writing things down and then THINK about it before you do it. Dont make your car a hodgepodge of individual mods. Your mods should have a progression, a continuity.
Your mods should ALWAYS progress the car towards your final idea, they should always fit the soul and persona that you feel your car should have and if that mod doesnt.. then DONT do it.
Having a mod notebook expresses that thought progression as a STORY and that story should make sense.

·
Registered
693 Posts
That lift is pretty sweet! My next house will have one for sure.
Upon delivery I also wash and wax the car MY WAY, knowing that the dealer does a half ass job. I know I was a detailer for 3 years. They use high grade materials, however sometimes they don't wash the towels often enough. PLEASE INSPECT EVERY INCH THOROUGHLY!! I've had a hell of a time with one vehicle and dents as soon as I pulled it in my garage.
I did my wash and inspect and found a ton of issues. I took it right back and didn't take the truck home for another 2 weeks while they fixed all the issues.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Here's my final plan.

I'm going to inspect it like crazy at the dealership, of course. Anything wrong off the lot will just bug me for the rest of my life. I might consider claying it, but the first weekend I'll definitely head to my cousin's house (so he can try it out, and so I can use his driveway...) and give it a nice wash and wax.

·
Registered
617 Posts
My guy will call when the first tire hits the ground. The guy who does the PDI at my dealership is my next door neighbor. He knows not to remove anything or wash the car. He does the inspection then calls me. I brought my Raptor home with all the plastic still on the truck and interior, then went to town. ;)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts