Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now that North American Fiesta ST vehicles are starting to gain some real world milage, I thought it might be time for a unified thread to track people's FiST MPG numbers. Fuelly has a limited data set and no clear way to see what type of fuel people are using or various other factors that may impact MPG, such as: tires, tire inflation, road conditions, ambient temperature, driving speeds, stoplight frequency, stoplight duration, altitude, hills-versus-flatland, driving habits, percent time spent in driveway idling (firmware updates), specialty tune, etc.

Please feel free to post your MPG numbers in this thread, along with any relevant details about octane, ethanol content, and so-forth, as you care to provide. I hope we can paint a fuller picture of Fiesta ST MPG than Fuelly does.

Edited to remove thread relocation request to Moderator.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have been wondering about this. I am on tank #2, which is the first real tank I have put in it, and that pessimistic "AVG MPG" gauge is at 24.3 and climbing very slowly. And I'm being rather nice to the car. I'd be happy with 30MPG.

In my old WRX that was stage 2 protuned with more mods than I can count, I got 23MPG avg driving like my hair was on fire.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Too early for pessimism. You're still early break-in. Tell us how your MPG looks after 10,000-20,000 miles.

My guess is we won't see Fiesta STs with this kind of milage until Spring, 2014, but there might be a few long distance drivers reporting sooner.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Jeez guys I average 29 to 30.5 mpg per tank unless I'm flogging it badly. My driving is nearly 60/40 highway to city but at every light and every ramp it's full throttle. I get worse mileage on the highway at 75 mph than I do city driving all day. 6th gear being an overdrive cruising gear my anus! Ford should have made that sucker tall!!!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I read similar complaints about low Focus ST 6th gear ratio degrading freeway MPG.

Low 5th-6th gearing seems to be a common theme across most economy car brands and models. Manufacturers seem unconcerned that their MTs get worse MPG than their ATs. They usually explain this as proof that their ECU shifts more efficiently than a human does; however anybody who looks at gear ratios can find a more plausible explanation. Mazda 3 Skyactiv is the rare exception: MT and AT are both rated 40 MPG for highway, but the Skyactiv MT is 1 MPG lower for city. Mazda drivers gripe about low 1st-2nd gearing affecting vehicle launch. Some MZ3 drivers say they launch in 2nd gear unless they are on a hill. One can only guess how that affects clutch life.

I can wrap my brain around low 5th-6th gearing in a performance car where MPG is not the primary endpoint. I don't understand this approach in supposedly high-MPG puddle jumpers. I always figured low gearing was done because manufacturers didn't want to reengineer old manual transmissions to meet Obama-era CAFE standards; they just slap 'em in to appease the handful of North American MT extremists, who are apparently unworthy of a transmission redesign. Again, acknowledging Mazda as the exception here.

Ford doesn't offer a 6-MT in their regular Focus. I test drove a dealer's 2013 Focus with 5-speed MT and I knew within two minutes that I could not buy that pile of &^%#. (Please, no offense to anyone who bought Ford's pile of &^%# 5-MT.) Having rented a 2013 Focus SE automatic four weeks last summer and driven it over 7,000 miles in all sorts of terrain and at over 13,000 feet altitude, I found the Focus SE's 6-AT preferable to the 5-MT, but not by much. Ford's ST 6-MT is clearly in a different class than either their 5-MT or 6-AT. But Ford 6-MT owners apparently pay an MPG penalty at higher freeway speeds.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For comparison I looked at 2014 Mazda 3 MPG numbers. Similar to FiST, these cars are early in their break-in period. Thus far it does not appear anybody is getting over 38 MPG for the 2.0L MZ3. A sizable percentage are at or below 30 MPG:

2014 Mazda 3 MPG Reports | Fuelly

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Having followed the Focus ST forums for over 1 year, I remember this statement coming up about 1,000 mile break in. I recall the question involved setting cylinder rings; varying RPM allegedly helps in that process. Nevertheless, call it break in or some other name, Focus ST owners continued to see MPG rise past 10,000 miles. I would not be surprised to see MPG numbers rise even further as engines approach 100,000 miles. This has been my experience with cars through three decades, but I never owned a turbo and there are obviously many other variables such as tire design changes and stiffening rubber.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Jeremy, try linking data into Fuelly and providing the granular detail here (octane, driving style, estimated percent time in turbo, tune status, etc.) to help with Fuelly interpretation. The raw MPG numbers are less helpful by themselves, especially so early during engine break-in.

I'm not discouraging posting, just offering ideas for refinement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Break in period for Fords is typically 4000 miles for accurate fuel economy. Once you break the 4000 mile mark, you'll notice that the MPG will pretty much stay at that number as long as you drive the same way.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Break in period for Fords is typically 4000 miles for accurate fuel economy. Once you break the 4000 mile mark, you'll notice that the MPG will pretty much stay at that number as long as you drive the same way.
... or change tires, or drive in different temperature, or add a performance tune, or add a cat-back, or ...

There's more variables with performance cars than with most commuter vehicles. How may Elantra owners do a Cobb tune? How many Cruze owners alternate summer performance tires with specialized winter tires? How many Odyssey drivers track their vehicles on weekends?

I expect to see wide variations in Fiesta ST MPG numbers. I hope to get a sense of whether that is primarily due to performance tune, tires, distance commuting, or whatever.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mines 100% stock right now. I expected 29 combined...not 26
I rented a Chevy Cruze last year in Florida and drove it 80% freeway with an eggshell under my accelerator foot. I expected 35 MPG but measured 25.5 MPG. There's something funny about how the Feds are allowing car makers to claim EPA estimates that hardly anybody sees in real life driving. Much has already been written about this.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Interestingly though, the FiST manual says that "there is not an extensive break in period required for the 1.6L ecoboost. Just vary the RPM for the first 1000 miles."
Yeah, and that is normal manufacturer mumbo jumbo. You have moving parts, made out of different materials, rubbing against each other. There still is a shearing process even with better parts manufacturing in the modern era. No manufacturer wants a car to last 300,000+ miles, even though it IS possible. If you look at most owners manuals, almost every car manufacturer uses the same bogus break-in suggestions (or that a break-in isn't needed), even though most drivetrains have many differences.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts