Ford Focus ST Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I'll hazard a guess at a base of just of 30K with the top trim being around 38K. Or, one model fits all at 35K.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
another guess, build limits. That is where your dealer markup comes from.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Check out the abandoned block video at the bottom of the page (under related articles) with Ken Block & Vaugn Gitten....:thumb:

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It's not really news and more speculation and rumormongering as Auto Express is probably as reliable as our tabloids. I'm really hoping there is a new RS whether it be a Fiesta or Focus but I hate when these "blog" sites take each other's "articles" and run with them like it is anything more than a personal opinion or speculation. In other words their guess is as good as anyone's outside Ford who is familiar with how Ford works and what makes sense and is reasonable for the next RS.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that it's not going to be coming here. The cost ($40-50k) and the performance would be too close to Mustang territory.

·
4,009 Posts
The too close to a Mustang theory is played out. They are different cars for different people. I don't want a Mustang and would love to get my hands on a RS. The Mustang won't fade into oblivion or even be threatened by the RS. It has a loyal following and is an iconic American muscle car that will be in the Ford Family as long as there is a Ford.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I agree they are different cars for different people, but I just don't think Ford is going to bring a $40k+ Focus stateside. It would have to be awd so it could more comparable to cars in that segment like the Evo, STi and the Golf R, but they've already stated that it's going to be fwd and use a modified version of the ST's E-diff. I would love to see them bring an RS, but I just don't see it happening anytime in the near future.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I'm willing to bet the RS will show up over here and that it will be nowhere near $40K. My guess is it will likely come over with one model and no option choices, and run maybe a few grand more than a fully loaded ST3. And, no, it won't and nor does it need to have AWD. Ford will most likely include a mechanical LSD as well unless they can make some amazing strides with their e-diff. My guess is it will only be a model year or two run at best; right before the next redesign of the Focus, and will be really limited production and difficult to get.

If it is announced for the US, I'll be signing up for one right away. Even if it was the worst new car I've ever purchased (which I doubt), I could sell it and maybe lose a couple grand. Look at what guys are getting for their used Raptors! Some are selling year old trucks for almost what they paid for them if they were able to buy them at or near invoice!

·
4,009 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm gonna go ahead and assume that it's not going to be coming here. The cost ($40-50k) and the performance would be too close to Mustang territory.
Where are you getting this $40-50k price estimate from? The pricing is all speculation right now and there is no way they are going to raise the price for a base RS $15-25k over that of the base ST that is just ludicrous.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I would imagine the Focus RS will come closer to Golf R prices - $33-35k MSRP, especially since they're creating a new engine for it rather than using a standard one that is in multiple vehicles (ST's engine is in the Fusion and Escape, and will probably end up in even more than that, all with slightly different tunes). Factor in the mechanical diff and other performance mods on a low volume car, and it'll be a bigger price jump than what exists between the Focus and Focus ST. There's some consideration to offer both a manual and some version of an automatic (likely dual clutch transmission) in the Focus RS, since that's what virtually every car in this price range and above offers (aside from the STI), and if anything it'll increase the potential buyer pool to make sure they hit their sales targets in the US and Europe.

Given that the US is getting the Fiesta ST to go with the Focus ST, and you'll probably see a Fusion ST somewhere down the road, I would be surprised if the Focus RS didn't come to the US. Ford has been doing really well here and there's not many reasons for them to not offer a car that'll bring even more people to dealerships.

·
Registered
359 Posts
So when they say E-diff I almost got the impresion it was a mechanical diff but with clutches that are electronically controlled. I hope so becuase I can't see a brake biased system performing better then a mechanical diff. I can't remember which article I read that made it
seem that way though. But then again everything is specualtion at this point :(

·
4,009 Posts
I would imagine the Focus RS will come closer to Golf R prices - $33-35k MSRP, especially since they're creating a new engine for it rather than using a standard one that is in multiple vehicles
It would be used in multiple vehicles, the Mustang for one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Can they do that? Isn't the Mustang Rearwheel drive? I didn't think a motor could be both right-drive and wrong-drive in one design.

Why should an RS AWD or ST AWD cost any more to produce than the AWD Escape? Practically all the parts to make an AWD Focus are already there (in the escape).

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
It wouldn't be too difficult to slap an all-wheel drive system under the Focus as Volvo already used a 3rd-generation Haldex system under the S40 based on Ford's C1 platform but there would still be costs such as a new power take-off unit, possible new front suspension k-frame member, new fuel tank, driveline and rear drive module, axles, hubs, etc. that would need to be cost effective to implement, likely also having to be used on lower trim model Focus to recoup investment costs as Ford has stated they won't build future RS models that they lose money on like the first generation '02 Focus RS.

Lets say they can make a business case to develop the all-wheel drive system. The question then becomes what type of system you get. Ford has been using the Japanese JTEKT systems for AWD in many of their vehicles for the last few years and the next generation system sounds much more capable than the very basic operation of older JTEKT units but still doesn't compare as well to the fourth and upcoming fifth-generation Haldex (BorgWarner Driveline Systems) XWD (cross-wheel drive) system that can be equipped with a rear electronic limited-slip differential that can bias torque across the rear axle on demand similar to other higher end AWD systems such as Mitsubishi's Super All Wheel Control (S-AWC) and Acura's Super Handling All-Wheel-Drive (SH-AWD) and other advanced torque vectoring systems.

If Ford used their new JTEKT-based system it could transfer torque to the rear axle but would have to use the vehicles braking system to bias torque. There could also be torque limits, overheating issues in the rear-drive module for a performance vehicle designed to be tracked and some other mechanical limitations in that setup that would make it a poor choice compared to other (more expensive) solutions on the market.

All-wheel drive can be great for traction but the basic systems like in your common Subaru WRX aren't that advanced in operation and can't actively bias torque. What you end up with is good traction in poor weather and hard launches in the dry but still just as prone to understeer as a front drive vehicle along with the added weight and loss in fuel economy due to increased driveline friction. They can be capable of some nice launches but how many people are willing to do the clutch dumps from high rpms with the corresponding driveline shock to get those great times like magazines do in their testing? I know I've seen more than a few AWD cars out-launched at the track by front drive cars because the AWD owner didn't want to abuse their vehicle.

If Ford wanted to make an AWD Focus or Fiesta RS they've set a pretty high standard for themselves and I don't see a basic AWD system being utilized. The amount of torque the powertrain would produce combined with vehicle weight and desired performance characteristics rule out many of the off-the-shelf solutions (i.e. ones where development dollars have already been amortized in other platforms or models). I'm not saying we won't be surprised and Ford couldn't build a system using a Haldex-like system that could provide many of the performance characteristics needed to make an RS successful but I'd be highly surprised. Given the last generation RS stacked up very well to some premiere AWD sporting compacts with it's RevoKnuckle front drive architecture and mechanical limited slip I'd personally rather have a lighter, less expensive front drive RS but I can understand some people wanting AWD.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Can they do that? Isn't the Mustang Rearwheel drive? I didn't think a motor could be both right-drive and wrong-drive in one design.

Sure. You simply mount the engine off 90 degrees and use a different tranny. there is plenty of room under the 'Stang's hood for this.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts