Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I work as an outside sales rep and due to a string of good years and a promotion I am going to be allowed to pick my next company car. I have narrowed it down to the Focus ST and 2013 Fusion with the 1.6 ecoboost and manual. The problem is obviously I have never sat in a new focus with recaros. My miles will be going down a bit(from about 50k to 35-40k a year) as I will be taking more sales trips outside my territory to work with the other reps. But I am a bit concerned about spending and average of 4 hours a day in the ST. So is there anyone who has had a car with similar recaros or the previous ST? How are those seats on extended trips? Does anyone out there think I am insane for even considering the ST for repmobile duty? I already have a solution for the summer tires. My head says go with the fusion; sharp car, bigger backseat, more range, but my heart says go with the ST. I have never had an enthusiast's car like that with any kind of power(Kick myself in the head time to time about the super clean 1990 M3 I could have bought 13 years ago) and did just beat cancer..... So what does everyone think?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would go with the Fusion. The ST is a fun hatch, with great compromise between price and utility, but it isn't a business car. I openly acknowledge that the ST is a purchase I intend to make with a healthy serving of juvenile desire, and I am even going to temper the looks a little by going with black. If I had to drive a company car every day, that projected me in a sales environment, I would choose something that presents me as refined, distinctive, and confident, the Fusion will attain that in Sterling Grey. The ST, I believe, will send the wrong vibe for you as a company representative.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses, I saw that thread petraman, and the more I look at those recaros and the more I read about recaro seats the less worries I have. Might be a good incentive to lose some weight too. I also saw that Chad, stopped by the Cleveland autoshow and got to sit in the full leather Recaros and said they where the best seats he has ever sat in. 2 out of 2 people blown away by how nice they are, that is a good sign.

Thanks for the response Craig. As for the ST being appropriate as a salesman's car, it is probably worth noting that I sell to the tool and die industry. While I agree that the fusion projects a more professional image, most of my customers are car guys and at least 50% of the industry is car related. I think as long as it's an American car there shouldn't be any downside. Heck, some of biggest breakthrough's with customers happened when I took my motorcycle on sales calls. As for practicality, it is hatch vs bigger backseat. I lean toward hatch winning as it makes emergency pickups and deliveries that much easier. My biggest concerns are with the day to day livability of the ST, driving that many miles. The Fusion looks to be a great car(personally I would go with the Ice Storm or Blue color) and unless there are some early production jitters, a choice I would be happy with, but if beating cancer taught me anything it is that sometimes you just have to go for it, because you never know what is around the corner. Either way this is an antagonizing long wait for more information and press reviews of either car.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Thanks for the responses, I saw that thread petraman, and the more I look at those recaros and the more I read about recaro seats the less worries I have. Might be a good incentive to lose some weight too. I also saw that Chad, stopped by the Cleveland autoshow and got to sit in the full leather Recaros and said they where the best seats he has ever sat in. 2 out of 2 people blown away by how nice they are, that is a good sign.
I will stand by that for sure. I am not a paid marketer for Ford; I am consumer just like you and I can recognize quality. My Fiesta leather seats are ok feeling, but these seats...wow... I only sat in them for a few minuets while I took pictures and they blew me away.

:thumb:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts