Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know the fuel requirement for the Focus ST engine? I have not come across reference to it anywhere.
I had sort of assumed that it would require premium fuel because of the high power output, but now I see that Hyundai is getting 274 HP out of a similar 2.0 litre engine, because of the direct injection.. It would be a shame to get better fuel economy and then have to pay 15% more for the fuel.
gary weir

Attachments

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Well Gary with most sports cars they do require higher octane fuel. My wife's Mini Cooper S requires 87 or higher. That has a 2.0L Turbo Charged engine.

WikiPedia has some information on the 2.0L Ecoboost Ford EcoBoost engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It says 95 OCT...but that is impossible. The 2011 ford explorer is using the 2.0L Ecoboost, and I doubt you have to put 95 in that thing. No one would buy it if that was the case.

Lets keep our fingers crossed that you will only have to put 87 OCT max in the Focus ST.

Did you see the Focus ST-R's new video? They say it takes higher octane than the production ST. So thats is a good sign. Ford ST Nation - 2012 Focus ST-R First look Video <--Focus ST-r video

BTW Gary this is a Welcome forum, this thread belongs to the Focus ST general section. I am going to move it there.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
fuel requirement

I have just found the answer to my own question regarding fuel requirement. The Ford Canada site bow lists several vehicles with the same engine(i.e. 2.0 litre ecoboost with 240 hp) and they all listed with a fuel requirement of regular grade unleaded fuel. Even the 3.5 litre V6 ecoboost in the F-150 uses regular. Only the double boost in the Taurus requires premium fuel. gary weir

Attachments

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Gary

Do you have a link to the source? I would love to add some information about this on the Focus ST Stats page.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
95oct should be right. this engine is already in the actual mondeo here in germany. 2.0l 240HP
and ford says that you have to use "super 95"/ 95oct.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Really?

If Ford required this car to have Premium in the States it might be a problem for some people. We will have to wait to see for sure. I guess the compression ratio is high enough. Who know, I wish we had a mechanic that would chime on the reasons why we would need 95 oct.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Regular for the states, E85 85-87 OCT
Medium E85 87-89
Premium E85 91-95

All depends on the station.

found something interesting here

91/92 PON (USA) means 95/96 RON (Europe), and US "Premium" 95/96 PON means 98/100 RON (Europe)
"regular" gasoline in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US91–9282–8387

<tbody>
</tbody>

AKI = Anti Knock Index...engine pings
RON = Research Octane Number
MON = Motor Octane number

United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fue

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I would not be surprised if they rate the engine as 91 octane (for US). It will be a "recommended" fuel to use, similar to the MazdaSpeed3, which is recommended at 91 octane. The reason is that sometimes 93 octane is not available at certain fuel stations and 91 is more common. Also, the higher octane rating will prevent the engine from "knocking" at higher RPMS.

If it could run on 87, that would be great, because 87 is considerably cheaper than 89 and 91/93. Ford has said that they want the ST to be class leading in fuel efficiency, so even at 23city/31hwy it would beat the MS3's mileage by a decent margin and would save money(compared to the MS3) even if premium is required.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Ford ST Nation - 2013 Ford Focus ST

I actually created a table with MPG stats on that page. I would not be surprised if we are at 33 MPG with the Focus ST. I would also not be surprised if we did not have to use mid grade for either. Just don't make it Premium. That crap can cost 50 cents more than regular in some stations.

---
Notes I changed the thread title so that the search engines would find this thread more useful.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Here in Germany they sell the MS3 also and they say. please use SuperPlus what means fuel with 98 octane..... :)

We only have
SuperE10 95oct.
Super 95oct.
SuperPlus 98oct.
Ultimate 102oct.

:)

But this is for sure a question for your Interview Chad!

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I have a date and time, but they still have not given me a phone number... its a little frustrating that I have to keep asking for that information. I get a little more information each time.

Chad

---
Edit, just fired off another email. I hate to seem annoying, but I need to know. :)

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Do we have our final answer here.

The Focus ST will NOT require Premium Fuel, but it will be recommended on the fuel door. You can drive with Regular fuel. :)

·
Registered
222 Posts
Regular for the states, E85 85-87 OCT
Medium E85 87-89
Premium E85 91-95

All depends on the station.

found something interesting here

"regular" gasoline in Australia, New Zealand, Canada and the US91–9282–8387

<tbody>
</tbody>

AKI = Anti Knock Index...engine pings
RON = Research Octane Number
MON = Motor Octane number
Chad - E85 is that flex fuel Ethanol crap that the Government sunk billions into creating. We are like the Europeans and regular gas has 10% ethanol (Hence our German friend's E10), not the 85% of E85. We only differ when it comes to what we consider the "regular" octane rating.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Do we have our final answer here.
The Focus ST will NOT require Premium filling with regulFuel, but it will be recommended on the fuel door. You can drive with Regular fuel. :)
Filling with regular is a huge selling point for me. Now knowing that you can fill it with regular gas I'm more interested

·
Registered
358 Posts
I guess NA Market will get another software to "handle" your regular fuel. This is maybe regarding the speedlimits in the U.S. that you do not need premium fuel....

Here in Germany, without Speedlimit, all owners wants to drive 200kmh or more ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Filling with regular is a huge selling point for me. Now knowing that you can fill it with regular gas I'm more interested
That probably just means "you can drive it with regular if you have to but you'll have less power and get worse mileage".

A lot of cars have similar explanations in their manuals...

·
Registered
693 Posts
The new hyundia genesis coupe can use either 98 or 87, the latter dropping hp by like 15 or so with the same mpg's. Im sure the programing of the st will be good enough to adjust and keep similair mpg ratings. So Id like to hope.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts