Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

First post and loving my new ST. One thing that is confusing me at the minute is the suggested gear change indicator seems to want me to change at pretty low RPM (1700), much lower than what was suggested for good fuel economy in the ST supplement in the manual. IF you're city driving your up down like a yo-yo with it suggestion to be in 5th gear at about 32 mph (which seems a tad low to me).

Do you guys change roughly when the computer suggests to get good city driving economy or do you tend to push the RPMs it a little higher? I pretty much getting about 23 mpg with about 500 miles on the clock.

Cheers

Ross

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Mine varies the suggestion based on throttle. But in heavy traffic if you're accelerating slowly that's probably about right. Your mpg should go up once you get a couple thousand miles. Mine definitely did.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
For economy driving I try to shift at 2k for every gear I have been able to get every Leaf filled in the eco mode when I do it. For spirited driving it will pop up when you get near 1700 to 2k but will turn off any higher.

I have been getting between 23 to 30 mpg doing this.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
For better economy if you aren't accelerating heavily it usually is best to short shift at lower rpms. That would always bug me in some of the early dual-clutch cars I drove in Europe when you'd what seemed like a few feet into an intersection and the car would up-shift to second (the worst was the automated manual 5-speed in a Smart ForFour).

I somewhat pay attention to the shift light but usually just ignore it under regular driving. My guess is that like most of the newer shift recommendation systems it is looking at the programmed gear ratio, speed, rpm, as well as calculated load on the engine. The recommendations in the manual can only account for the first three and not load so I'd suspect the shift light is more accurate for the absolute best economy under most driving conditions.

The display is smaller than on other cars I've driven but it would still be nice if there was an option to turn it off. Another small thing that bugs me even more than the light coming on is the "phantom" shift light flash that appears while slowing in neutral coming to a stop and it apparently crosses a certain rpm/speed ratio where the computer thinks the car could be in gear and tries to tell you to up-shift or downshift. When the shift light comes on for longer periods I can ignore it but this quick flash draws my eye down to the instrument panel to check something that has already disappeared.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'm currently getting about 31 mpg (with a little help from Torrie's eco-tune and a Green Filter). From a stop, I usually accelerate to 30 mph in 3rd gear, and once there, then shift directly into 5th if I'm going to be cruising at 30. If the speed limit is higher (like 45), I'll get to that speed in 4th, and the shift directly into 6th gear for cruising. I've found that accelerating quickly to your cruising speed, then leveling off in the highest gear possible, does not have any negative impact, and seems to slightly improve gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I find it a bit annoying if I'm cruising around in, say 4th, and it wants me to go to 5th. But then I lift off the throttle to coast a bit as I come up behind someone, and the light goes off. And then I give it the tiniest bit of throttle again, and it's back, UPSHIFT UPSHIFT! Like I sad, I kind of have to train myself to ignore it flashing around there in the corner of the display.

If I could disable it, I would. I mean, I'm all about gas mileage, and I'm not hooning around at 6000rpm or anything. Just shifting where it feels natural to me, slightly higher than recommended. But I find that having it flashing down there can be slightly distracting.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
...But then I lift off the throttle to coast a bit as I come up behind someone, and the light goes off. And then I give it the tiniest bit of throttle again, and it's back, UPSHIFT UPSHIFT!
Yep, same for me. The car is assuming that because you're giving it throttle, even just a little, that you will keep doing so. It has no idea that traffic is slowing down, a sharp curve or big hill climb is coming, etc. This is why I hate auto transmissions (though I've had more than my share)--they always seem to upshift just when you want to be maintaining speed or slowing down. So far, I don't plan to put electrical tape over the light lol... Maybe a good question based on this thread: at what RPM would we consider to be 'lugging' the engine? Or don't worry about that and just ensure the engine is not shuddering and threatening to stall? My general aim is to not drop below say 1500, and I usually shift at 2K (or higher! much more fun higher).

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
It took me a while to even remember I had a car with 6 gears instead of 5! @ first 1000 miles @least. Combine that and gridlock, had my mileage around 18mpg. Shifting around 2k-3k.but forgetting to go into 5th. I tend not to shift because the light sez so, but it happens.
Now I firmly know I have a 6 speed,that little light barley flickers on , I hit it right when it wants, instinctivly. Altho gridlock hasn't changed, The gas mileage has gone up nicely, +21 (mostly city)
But for some reason I cannot get any leaves on the Eco-monitor. Maybe because this car is such a blast to drive, I have the "occasional" redlight/greenlight run-away attemps. :confused: could that be why? lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Yeah, I find below around 1400 that it doesn't seem to be too happy.
according to the manual, you don't want to drop below 1300, else you'll be lugging the engine.

As far as the light is concerned, it's a nice guide to have. I try stick to 1st: 1-10; 2nd:11-20; 3rd: 21-30; 4th:31-40; 5th:41-50; 6th:51+. Those speeds usually correspond to ~1900-2k rpm mark.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I ignore the shift light when traffic, hills, turns, merges etc are coming up but for the most part follow it as I'm usually stuck in traffic during commutes and can get some great mileage.

Depending on traffic I usually skip shift using either to top of the gear box 1st, 3rd, 5th and when the road opens get into 6th or quick shift out of 1st, and then use 2nd, 4th, 6th this way I can have a little fun running the rpm's up while still getting pretty good gas mileage.

To get those Eco leaves though, you really have to row through the gears and anticipate when the shift light is going to go on and shift just before it to get the gear shifting leaf. Speed and anticipation are pretty easy to get with less than spirited driving.

I do have a question about the EcoMode Trophy's though, how many of them are they? I've gotten "Eco Champion" and "Advanced Eco Driver".

And I got this message in the EcoMode screens, haven't read anything about this before. EcoMode Very Good! Eco Champion.jpg EcoMode Advanced Eco Driver.jpg Eco Mode Cold Engine.jpg

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Still only getting 22.7 mpg. Of course, shifting isn't the only category where I have no petals.
Still, when I've had 5 petals for speed and anticipation, I always have none on shifting. It's like you need the perfect conditions to get that. No hills, no traffic, and resisting the urge to have a little fun.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
It was when it was warmer out. Mileage really took a dip when input the winter tires on, it got colder, and we got the winter mix fuel.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'm all for getting good gas economy, treating the car gently but there comes a time when enough is enough and just enjoy the car for what it brings to the table.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have a 68 Barracuda with a 4 speed and haven't owned a car with a 5 spd since 03.

I like the shift light because it reminds me that I have two more gears beyond 4th. I will probaly be looking for 5th and 6th come spring when the Barracuda comes back out. ;)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts