Ford Focus ST Forum banner

41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Do you count 5.7 including what was put into the oil filter? It can take about 1/2 quart on average it seems.

·
Registered
726 Posts
5.7 should be everything. Always get it close, then run the engine, check for leaks, close up shop down below and bring the car down off ramps or jacks so you can measure level. Top up as needed - no need to run the engine in between.

I suppose the extra oil mine took could be the K&N filter I used. Might have more volume, though it looks the same size.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
This is such a good thread, I still use this as a resource when I go to the store to buy oil and the filter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
63 Posts
FYI for those looking to reset the oil change monitor --

I came to this thread because my Change Oil monitor alert was going off (around 10,000 miles). The shop that I took it to to get the oil changed didn't reset it.

Ford Focus ST 2013+ Oil Change Walkthrough
Now press both the gas and brake together and hold. You'll see messages pop up, keep holding until you see one that says the service interval monitor has been reset.
If your monitor alert is due, as soon as to hit the button the oil reset message is the first that comes up. When Holding the gas and brake in this scenario, the 'Resetting Oil monitor' is the first message that comes up. Just keep holding till it says reset. (BTW don't quote me on the exact wording, Didn't write it down as I was doing this.)

·
Registered
693 Posts
My oil change alert came up yesterday. I just changed the oil about 4k ago and am running synthetic. Does this monitor actually check the oil or just go by driving habits? If the monitor actually inspects the oil then i will change, but if its just a timer type of thing then ill reset.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My oil change alert came up yesterday. I just changed the oil about 4k ago and am running synthetic. Does this monitor actually check the oil or just go by driving habits? If the monitor actually inspects the oil then i will change, but if its just a timer type of thing then ill reset.
My understanding is timer sort of. It does take into account factors like temperature how hard you're driving it ect. But not actually analyzing the oil. I'm sure something like that would be very expensive!

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
Its not that expensive. On the Benzs' there is a sensor that monitors the resistance of the oil. Didnt think this car had something like that. Thanks for clarifying JTHJ!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
there is a mobil 1 oil change promotion running on amazon.com for the month of may. if you purchase 5qts or a 6 pack of mobil 1 synthetic oil, you get a free mobil 1 oil filter and a $12 mail in rebate for the oil. $40 for 6qts and an oil filter seems like a great deal to me.

just go to amazon and search for mobil 1. the top of the page will have results for 'save more with oil change deals'.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Wait...the oil change alert doesn't first come on until 10,000 miles? No way going that long on factory fill with the factory filter, especially with a turbo vehicle. 6,000-7,000 with a synthetic, tops. Beyond that the additive package and detergents in the oil will have broken down, and the sludging process will have begun. On factory fill, that light should be coming on no later than 3000 miles, and every 7,500 miles thereafter.

But hey, not like most of us have ever followed the oil reminder anyway.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes 10,00 miles or so. But that was after my 3rd oil change ;)

1st after ~900 miles to get the factory stuff out. (One week of having tooooo much fun :LOL:) I've heard that you want some higher friction for break in, therefore a blend.

2nd at 4000, full synth

3rd at just before 10,000 full synth (for evermore)

·
Registered
894 Posts
I submitted my oil for oil analysis after approximately 6K (Penzoil Ultra Full Synth) and they suggested I could go longer, to 8K, based on what they saw.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Good write up for those who don't know how to do this stuff.

The comparing of oil, you want to see some dirty oil I will show you my race bikes oil after a few thousand haha

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I submitted my oil for oil analysis after approximately 6K (Penzoil Ultra Full Synth) and they suggested I could go longer, to 8K, based on what they saw.
Yes, it is a really good idea to get a proper UOA to determine the correct oil change interval for your oil in your driving conditions. Let the oil tell you when it needs to be changed, that is the only real gauge. Might be a good idea though to do a filter change if going for longer than a 5k OCI, since the longer it is in there the greater chance it has of going into bypass (and not filtering at all).

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
My drain plug feels like it was overtightened from the factory. I can't get it off at all, no matter how hard I try. I don't want to try too hard that I strip the threads... because that's a pain in the ass. Any ideas?

:edit:

Screw it, I'm taking it to the dealer. Let them handle it if the threads are stripped.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
My drain plug feels like it was overtightened from the factory. I can't get it off at all, no matter how hard I try. I don't want to try too hard that I strip the threads... because that's a pain in the ass. Any ideas?

Screw it, I'm taking it to the dealer. Let them handle it if the threads are stripped.
Should be torqued to 20lb/ft. are they reversed thread?

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
I don't think so... Especially since nobody else has mentioned it. I think that would have been an important bit of an information.

·
Registered
53 Posts

I had to use an impact gun to take the plug off for the first time. It was like the used thread locker and over tightened it. Haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I had to use an impact gun to take the plug off for the first time. It was like the used thread locker and over tightened it. Haven't had a problem since.
Ditto - I ended using a breaker-bar to get it loose the very first time. Haven't a problem since either.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts