Ford Focus ST Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Are you sure 6 quarts? I put about 5.7 as per instructions and it looks WAY over filled on the dipstick like im talking oil ALL the way up the dipstick! I checked the owners manual and it says 4.5 quarts of oil?!?!?!?!?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
615 Posts
Are you sure 6 quarts? I put about 5.7 as per instructions and it looks WAY over filled on the dipstick like im talking oil ALL the way up the dipstick! I checked the owners manual and it -Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Read the ST owners guide supplement, not the main Focus owners guide.
4.5 quarts is only for the base 2.0 gdi engine, not the EcoBoost engine which calls for 5.7 quarts of 5W30 not 5W20 like the N/A engine

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
How bad is it if 5/20 oil was used? What will happen?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Oh ok but why is my dipstick covered in oil all the way to the top when 5.7 was put in?

Because the dip stick goes through the rocker cover and you can pour the oil in faster than it drains down to the pan getting it onto the dip stick, even when you pull it out and wipe it off putting the dip stick back in will pick up oil that is draining down. You need to wait a few minutes after putting the oil in to get an accurate reading. You also need to run the engine before checking to refill the filter and oil galleys.

I use a slightly larger filter (FL400S) and mine takes a full six quarts. The oil level will be between the top of the hash marks and the full hole.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Oh ok now i see but looks like it stops at the hole on the bottom so i guess i should top off then

Edit: ok its good now it's in the middle between the two holes. When i was checking it the engine was on and was squirting little bits of oil out of the dip stick hole that must of been why it went all the wqy to the top with oil

·
Registered
615 Posts
Oh ok now i see but looks like it stops at the hole on the bottom so i guess i should top off then

Edit: ok its good now it's in the middle between the two holes. When i was checking it the engine was on and was squirting little bits of oil out of the dip stick hole that must of been why it went all the wqy to the top with oil

Of course due to the pressurization of the crank case the oil runs up the dipstick, which is why it has an o-ring seal to prevent excessive oil leakage out of the dipstick with the engine running. It also means it can take quite awhile to get a true reading of the oil level after the car has been running. On top of the fact that clean oil is hard to see on the dipstick in the first place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi,
Seems you do not use the jack points listed in the owner's manuel so from your picture underneath the car of your jack position
it appears you can definitely jack the st from underneath the car. That was my experience as well.
Thanks

61 - 69 of 69 Posts