Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Everyone,

Let's have some fun speculating when the Ford Focus ST will be available and what we think the price will be. After PM'ing Chad and having a long conversation about the car, he coerced me into starting a thread (it didn't take much...).

Let's start off my looking at the possible standard parts/options available on the Focus ST according to Ford Media Relations.

Standard: Control Blade Suspension (available on all Focus models)
10mm Lowered Chassis w/ uprated Shocks and Springs
All-new Anti-roll bar and knuckle design
Torque Steer Compensation (TSC)
Electronic Stability Program (ESP)
Ford Sport Steering System (EPAS w/progressive ratio steering rack)
Torque Vectoring Control (TVC)
18" Alloy Wheels
235/40R18 Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2
6-Speed Manual Transmission
247 HP, 266 Ft-lbs 2.0L EcoBoost Engine*
Recaro Seats
Tuned Sound Symposer
Aggressive Front and Rear Bumper Covers
Aero-Tuned Integrated Rear Roof Spoiler
Colors: Europe:Tangerine Scream, Performance Blue, Race Red, Oxford White, Tuxedo Black
US: Tangerine Scream, Performance Blue, Race Red, Oxford White, Tuxedo Black and Ingot Silver

Options: Europe: ST1, ST2, ST3
ST1: Cloth Recaro seats, keyless start, front door scuff plates with ST logo and standard ST rear bench
with centre armrest
ST2: Partial leather Recaro seats and dual zone Electronic Automatic Temperature Control (EATC). For
right-hand drive markets, ST2 will also include unique ST floor mats, automatic headlamp control,
auto-dimming rear view mirror and automatic wipers, features that are standard on left-hand drive
ST1 models
ST3: Exclusive heated leather Recaro seats with 8-way adjustability and pull out cushion, plus the newly
developed Recaro rear bench. ST3 customers also benefit from Bi-Xenon headlamps.

US: N/A (Not Announced)
MyFord Touch, Partial or Full Leather Recaro Seats w/matching color inserts, Sony Audio System with
HD Radio and 10-speaker surround sound

In order to speculate on how much this car will cost with the standard features and above mentioned options, we must first look at what the 2012 Focus Titanium is available with. The main reason we compare the Titanium to the ST is that they share similar traits, more than just the body architecture.

The Focus Titanium Hatchback starts @ $22,700 before delivery, tax, title, other fees, etc. Let's say $23,495 with delivery. This does not include options.

Standard features:

Most Standard Features found on S, SE, SEL
17-inch sport aluminum wheels
SYNC with MyFord Touch with 8-inch center stack touch screen
Intelligent Access with push-button start
Sirius Satellite Radio
Sony Audio System with 10 speakers including subwoofer
HD RadioTM with iTunes tagging feature
Sport Seats
Dual-zone electronic automatic temperature control
Power front and rear windows with one-touch-up/down feature on all windows
PowerShift 6-speed automatic transmission

Options and Packages:

401A - Titanium Premium Package

Power moonroof
Interior Style Package (Tuscany Red or Arctic White)
Titanium Winter Package
Parking Technology Package
Voice-activated Navigation System
Titanium Handling Package

What does all of these packages and standard features mean for the ST? Well, we can speculate that some of these packages will be close to some of the standard features found on the ST, meaning: Uprated Interior and Handling Package. When we apply Economies of Scale to the ST, we can see that changing some components out of the Titanium shouldn't affect the price that greatly.

Let's price out this Titanium with Options that we think the ST will have as standard and then we'll deduct standard features of the Titanium that will be Options on the ST. Get it? Example: (MyFordTouch is standard on Titanium, but is an Option on the ST).

Titanium Hatch Base Price w/Delivery: $23,495
Handling Package: +$595
Interior Style Package: +450 (Although you need to move up to Package 401A, we'll just use this price for this exercise)

Compared to how many other options are available, this is not too much. Total Price: $24,540

Now for the ST:

Total Titanium Price: $24,540
MyFordTouch: -$995 (Price of option on SEL)

Approx. ST Price: $23,545

We also have to factor in the uprated elements of the ST, plus R&D costs. We'll assume the shocks/struts are the same component, but they uprated the damping characteristics. The springs are "manufactured" by the same company and they needed to created a new design. Also, the Recaro's aren't cheap either. The bumpers and spoiler also needed new molds. The 2.0l EcoBoost has a larger price tag, and the 6-Speed manual we can estimate from the price of the Mazdaspeed3.

Recaro's: +$550 (Includes Titanium Interior, so total = $1000)
EcoBoost: +$500 (Because it is already being sold and manufactured in Explorer, Edge, etc)
Transmission: +0! (Why? The Automatic is an additional $1095 on the SE version, and a 6 Speed Manual if sourced from Mazda should be similar in cost to 5 Speed. Really, we should decrease cost here…)
Manufacturing and R&D Cost: ~$1000

FINAL ST BASE PRICE w/ DELIVERY: $25,595

Again, this is a fun exercise until the details come out. What do you think of this logic? Can you come up with some idea's based on the previous Focus'?

Links: Focus ST-LA Motor Show

Focus ST-Frankfurt Motor Show

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Dude you should work with Lisa and the Sales team. That a good hash out. "The car will be competitive with other cars similar in the market." is what Lisa says (not exact)

Audi A3$27,270
VW Golf 3 door - 5 door$23,995 -$24,595
M3S$24,000
BMW 128i$31,200
Hyundai Veloster Turbo
Subaru Impreza WRX$25,995

I know they are not all in the same class, but they are all sporty entry levels.

We have read that they[Ford] compare to the GTI a lot. Even Lisa when you guys read the interview transcript compares to a few of those cars. Competitive to me does not mean cost leaders. It means priced at or around the MS3 and GTI, which is $24,295.

Priced with FULL OPTIONS should not exceed $30,000

·
Registered
407 Posts
Nice job Dem778, I would say and hope that your right with your estimations. I would say between $25-26,000 starting price, and Chad your right, no way should it exceed $30,000 fulley optioned. The antisipation is killing me!!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Nice job Dem778, I would say and hope that your right with your estimations. I would say between $25-26,000 starting price, and Chad your right, no way should it exceed $30,000 fulley optioned. The antisipation is killing me!!
I agree. All indications are for the $25-30k range.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Have you checked out the build a focus on the ford.com site? Since I bought a car last year, the process on the site is MUCH more simplified. I think that is the idea. Simple.

But, if I can get my ST custom order, it might keep the cost down at the same time getting what I want. Who knows.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
I've never purchased a vehicle that was a special/limited edition sort of thing like this. Is it likely that there will be no dealer negotiation? So sticker price is what we will have to pay? Or is there a chance of negotiating lower? Maybe I should ask this in the SVT forum over on FJ.... some of them might have insight from buying their svts new.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I doubt that the dealers will do much negotiation on the price when it first comes out due to high demand. The SVT Focus was not a high demand car when released and dealers had a hard time selling them so you where able to get a decent deal on them. Time will tell how well the ST will sell so depending on that will determine being able to negotiate a better price. When I bought my Roush Mustang the dealer would not budge on the price. They told me "you either want the car or not!"

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
They told me "you either want the car or not!"
I think this will be the case for the Focus ST for the first few months. It all depends though. I believe it will be a hot selling at first.

I've never purchased a vehicle that was a special/limited edition sort of thing like this. Is it likely that there will be no dealer negotiation? So sticker price is what we will have to pay? Or is there a chance of negotiating lower? Maybe I should ask this in the SVT forum over on FJ.... some of them might have insight from buying their svts new.
If they dealers only get 1 ST at a time.. you can bet sticker.. :) We hope that Ford will have all this figured out so the car can sell.

IF they give me the "you either want the car or you don't".. then i'll give them...

"you either want my money or not" and then say im going to the Mazda dealer.. later. :D

·
Registered
63 Posts
$25k seems low . . . .

Seems like the $25k base number might be a little low.

I was speaking (via text) to my Ford sales girl, asking about timing and price. She estimates that we are going to be looking at the low $30's for the ST, as well as one heck of a waiting list.

I've had a 12 yr. sales relationship with her (5 cars). Been with since she was just another sales person. Now she's got the corner office as the sales manager. We keep going back to her because she hasn't lead us wrong yet.

I'd like to believe all the 'competitive' talk that I'm hearing out of the marketing gurus. But if I have to believe either my sales manager or a marketing hack about where this car is going to base, I'm going with my established relationship.

Just throwing it out there.

Darth Understeer

May the Downshift be with you.

·
Registered
13 Posts

I was speaking (via text) to my Ford sales girl, asking about timing and price. She estimates that we are going to be looking at the low $30's for the ST, as well as one heck of a waiting list.

If the base model comes in at $30K+ I may pass for now.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
She estimates that we are going to be looking at the low $30's for the ST, as well as one heck of a waiting list.
I don't mind the waiting list. Someone needs to be at the top ;)

However, no way will I purchase this car if it's even remotely close to 30k. Even if the fuel mileage is good, I don't see it out-selling the other models (MS3, GTI). That price point puts it in upper WRX almost STi territory and close to a Golf R, Audi A3. Sorry, but I'd rather have a gas guzzling MS3 with more power and a slightly boring interior for around $24,500. Another 5k can't justify that for an ST. I want one, but I'm also practical and frugal.

I seriously think people in the US would laugh at Ford and the ST if they price it close to 30k.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
If the base model comes in at $30K+ I may pass for now.

I would laugh and say no thanks if the Focus ST was $30K starting. Its too much considering the base price of a Focus hatchback is $18,300.

I could see a high end Focus ST3 being $30K, but not starting.. There is no way that is competitive with the GTI or M3S...

It has to be competitive which is just under $25k and not over $26K. I am with Dan. I'll close the site, and buy a M3S before I buy a $30K starting Focus ST.

Heck, the BMW 135i was on my list before this car was announced. Might have to look at that again... lmao

• The wait list I can believe
  • THe low $30K I do not
If Ford wants people like me and you that buy these low cost sporty hatches, they have to be good on price...

I'd think that half of the people interested in the Focus ST would pass and go buy a WRX, GTI or M3S....

·
Registered
63 Posts
I agree that a base in the $30's would be a tough thing to swallow. I sincerely hope that my sales gal is not right in this case. Or at least as you say, $30k fully optioned up.

But this thread has been dead for the last few days. So I thought I'd throw some red meat to the wolves . . . ;-)

May the Downshift be with you.

Darth Understeer

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am all about fun to drive HP isn't a make or brake thing especially when it's 200+ in FWD. if this car is 30k I will head right over to Honda and get a Si with Nav for 25k. They really think they can compete with luxury sports brands like BMW and Audi? They know who they are competing with (GTI) and their price range I can't see them screwing the pooch that bad and starting at 30k. Also I saw something where they were saying the American car companies can no longer make specialized parts for models such as the ST. So it will actually be a grab bag of parts from models with wider trim ranges. So that (you would think) should keep them more then competitive when it comes to price.

Also at the auto show a ford rep told me expect a $3-4k increase from the titanium hatch which starts at $22,500 if I'm not mistaken.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I hope that's a gross overestimate. Starting at $30k will mean I'm looking for something else.
Same here. I've been eyeing an MS3 for 2 years now. I've test driven 2 already, a 2010 and a 2011. The ONLY reason I was even remotely interested in another Ford was when I saw the new Focus design and then saw the Focus ST. Ford had nothing in its portfolio that interested me at all up until that point.

I would be able to make a decision on if I'm waiting or not if they would just release some more details. :eek:

:crossing fingers: Hopefully March 1st or Geneva!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts