Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ever since I started driving I have always been told "Don't buy the first year of a new vehicles production. That's when they figure out and try to fix all of the bugs."

Now technically the Focus ST is not a new model and many of the parts used have been taken from other vehicles. However, I'm really not sure what parts have been taken from current vehicles and how many are brand new.*

I have to admit the fact that the ST is brand new in the US is nagging at me a little bit and is making me a little nervous to purchase an ST this, it's first year (in the US). I plan on putting a significant down payment down and really don't want to have constant problems due to the fact that this is the STs first production year.*

Can anyone shed some light on what portions of the ST are brand spanked new and which have a good track record in other vehicles??

Anyone with the same concerns or am I just a worry wart?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Ever since I started driving I have always been told "Don't buy the first year of a new vehicles production. That's when they figure out and try to fix all of the bugs."

Now technically the Focus ST is not a new model and many of the parts used have been taken from other vehicles. However, I'm really not sure what parts have been taken from current vehicles and how many are brand new.*

I have to admit the fact that the ST is brand new in the US is nagging at me a little bit and is making me a little nervous to purchase an ST this, it's first year (in the US). I plan on putting a significant down payment down and really don't want to have constant problems due to the fact that this is the STs first production year.*

Can anyone shed some light on what portions of the ST are brand spanked new and which have a good track record in other vehicles??

Anyone with the same concerns or am I just a worry wart?
Most issues on first year vehicles are due to vendor quality. In my 18yrs of building cars, I've always felt first year cars are the best to buy. Pre-delivery goes through these cars with a fine toothed comb. Ford always wants a flawless launch of a car. When we launched the '10 mustang, I bet every car had at least 25 miles on from so many repetitive inspections and campaigns. Just my opinion and experience.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Most issues on first year vehicles are due to vendor quality. In my 18yrs of building cars, I've always felt first year cars are the best to buy. Pre-delivery goes through these cars with a fine toothed comb. Ford always wants a flawless launch of a car. When we launched the '10 mustang, I bet every car had at least 25 miles on from so many repetitive inspections and campaigns. Just my opinion and experience.
Having been to an auto show recently, something I noticed was that it's hard to actually buy a bad car these days. Every manufacturer has either continued their stellar quality or made huge improvements in areas that they struggled. If you look at reliability numbers, the number of average problems has decreased for every manufacturer by a large amount. Some are still better than others (Ford leading the American makes by far) but as a whole you can expect any new car to be fairly reliable.

However, elnorte, didn't you say that you have a friend on the ST launch team who warned you about potential problems with the ST? Could you elaborate on that?

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It makes sense that things are getting better. Especially now when things like that really play a huge role in purchasing vehicles now a days. The last time I purchased a new car was my zx3 in '06 and I have had no problems with it. But, from what I remember the first few years the focus was out it had a number of issues.

I haven't looked into it, but how has the Fiesta been doing since it came out?

I'm also curious what the insider guy has to say in regards to his worries.

·
Registered
547 Posts
It makes sense that things are getting better. Especially now when things like that really play a huge role in purchasing vehicles now a days. The last time I purchased a new car was my zx3 in '06 and I have had no problems with it. But, from what I remember the first few years the focus was out it had a number of issues.

I haven't looked into it, but how has the Fiesta been doing since it came out?

I'm also curious what the insider guy has to say in regards to his worries.
An engineer told him to get the extended warranty if he bought one. He seems to think 15 psi boost will be a factor in longevity. I think my buddy might be a hater! lol He wouldn't stop talking about how bad ass his focus svt was. He's driven the car quite a bit and says he like's the car though. I didn't take much from it. I'm going to try and get a build schedule, so I can pick some engineer's head's.

·
Registered
110 Posts
An engineer told him to get the extended warranty if he bought one. He seems to think 15 psi boost will be a factor in longevity. I think my buddy might be a hater! lol He wouldn't stop talking about how bad ass his focus svt was. He's driven the car quite a bit and says he like's the car though. I didn't take much from it. I'm going to try and get a build schedule, so I can pick some engineer's head's.
15 psi is nothing, as long as the engine is designed for it, which this one is.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hmm well I hope your buddy is just a hater!

Does anyone know of any reported problems with the 2.0 Ecoboost in the Edge and the Explorer? Would be interesting to know how much boost is being used there- it's probably less than in the ST but would still be interesting.

However, I agree with ButtDyno, surely Ford will not sell a car these days which they know has questionable reliability. They know that they can't afford to do that, especially with the backlash over MyFord Touch.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Ford has been selling diesels with forced induction at much higher compression for decades. Forced induction is not a new-fangled technology that you should be concerned about. The reason cars have avoided it in the past is due to expense and to reduce design complexity. 20 years ago if you wanted more hp you just went with more displacement or more cylinders (and worse fuel economy) because it's dirt cheap compared to adding a precision milled turbo, intercooler, mass air flow sensor, modified intake manifold, better injectors, etc.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I have a 2000 Ford Focus, which has never given me trouble. It was a first year Focus, and my next one will be as well.
Seems fitting.

Anyway, I think any issues would still be covered by warranty, but I'n not too worried about the reliability. Many of the parts have been used before, and Ford's been working on the ST for a long time.
A very long time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like all current Fords, they have been going through 50,000 mile durability testing in a 6 month window. Should get most of the bugs worked out right there...

·
Registered
222 Posts

The 2012 Focus has been the most problematic Ford vehicle launch in the 21st Century and has dropped Ford from the top of the reliability charts to just above the over-complicated German brands. I have a 2012 Focus Titanium and it has been an absolute nightmare. MFT and the DCT are both insurmountable pieces of crap. That being said, the 2012 Focus HAS worked out most of the kinks for the shared hardware and I believe the ST will be fine out to 75K miles with the actual Turbo assembly being the first thing to go.

·
Registered
549 Posts
My 9 year old WRX has 165,000 Miles, original turbo, still runs like the day I bought it. I'm sure over a nine year period there has been some improvement on turbo design. And my wrx is an oil fed turbo also.

·
Registered
222 Posts
My 9 year old WRX has 165,000 Miles, original turbo, still runs like the day I bought it. I'm sure over a nine year period there has been some improvement on turbo design. And my wrx is an oil fed turbo also.
That's and awesome run for any car. Just talking from experience on the Turbo, with my family bringing 3 cars of different makes, and different engine types, but all with turbos to 200k miles growing up, it was always the turbo that went first. With the VW I think it was actually something to do with some overcomplicated mechanism they slapped onto the turbo that caused it to fail, but in the end the whole turbo had to be removed.

·
Registered
110 Posts
On my WRX, which I sold after almost 1000 autox runs, I had to replace the turbo at 100k miles because the seals were going, but that car had an incredibly rough life. And a used replacement turbo was $150... this is not a big deal.

Using VW as an example for reliability is perhaps not scientific :lol:

·
Registered
29 Posts
I appreciate all the in put. The reliability question, of a first year production vehicle, has been a concern. I understand the ST shares a lot with the base Focus models yet the ST is incorporating allt of newer elements ford the assembly of this car.

·
Registered
495 Posts
If the turbo breaks at 75k, this car will be a horrible, horrible failure. This will have a lot to do with owner operation mind you. If you are hitting the boost hard on your way home and don't give it time to cool down, you will diminish the life of the seals. As long as you don't treat your car like a clown it will last just as long as any other.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have a personal friend who did some quality testing on the ST. I will touch base with him and see if there are any concerns.

Now, would I buy an extended warranty on a performance car. No matter where in the year cycle or insider information, I would bargain one into the deal unless I had some aftermarket powertrain modifications in mind.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
I have a personal friend who did some quality testing on the ST. I will touch base with him and see if there are any concerns.

Now, would I buy an extended warranty on a performance car. No matter where in the year cycle or insider information, I would bargain one into the deal unless I had some aftermarket powertrain modifications in mind.
Heh that is going be a problem with half of our members who will do some ECU stuff and other bolt ons.

I know I will..

It will be interesting to hear what your Friend will have to say about his experience.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Dreams... there are certain issues that I would like to address. First and foremost, MAINTENANCE!
Turbo cars are harder on the oil. Always have been. Be RELIGIOUS about changing your oil. After about 1000 miles, change the engine oil to the best synthetic in the proper weight. I use either Mobil One for my engine and Royal Purple for everything else.
THEN do things like let your engine idle for a short spell before shutdown to give the turbo a chance to cool down.
Follow the RSM schedule with utter commitment. Do regular checks on your car about once a month like a pilot checking his (or her) plane before takeoff.
MOST (not all ) vehicle component failures are traceable to bad maints and letting things go.
I bought the first year Dodge Charger during early production and the car has been a dream and I have 80K HARD miles on it!.

Breathe easy. kiddo.... you gonna be ok!

1 - 20 of 47 Posts