Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice everyone comparing a lot of other cars, and yes I understand the improvements over the years on the cars but how do you think they will compare performance wise. I owned one for awhile and yes they are light and built like a tin can but they move. The blocks were said to be indestructible and the head could handle near 500hp. The plus side was dodge offered performance packages that were covered under warranty. Do you think Ford will go down that path?

·
Registered
100 Posts
I think everyone hopes they do but I can't forsee ford doing it

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
with that being said I wonder if they will void peoples warranty's for modding their cars? If that's the case it doesn't make much sense to spend money on an extended warranty if you ever plan on modding it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Yeah they will void your warranty for modding your car. That's why I don't plan on buying one

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm starting to lean that way. I am very mechanically inclined so I'm thinking the extension is pointless especially since i want to mod it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
2013blackst said:
Yeah they will void your warranty for modding your car. That's why I don't plan on buying one

It's against the law to "VOID" the warranty. They can deny a warranty claim if they can prove the mod caused the failure.

BTW, anything you purchase from the Mopar Performance catalog that impacts the emissions certification of the vehicle is sold for "off-road use only" and the parts have no warranty. So if you purchased a Stage 1 ecu and it crapped out after a week you are out of luck. It's been that way with MP since they were the Direct Connection in the 70's. That being said if the parts were installed by the dealer they typically stand behind the parts that fail.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
They stood by everything on mine because mine had the stage two put on it by dodge and then the wrist pin went bad on the piston and they covered an entire bottom end. I even did stuff myself like full exhaust without cats and boost controller and they never had an issue.

·
Registered
440 Posts
You cannot compare these 2 cars. 1 is modern with technology coming out of its ass and puts down 252hp and 270tq and is 3223lbs with electronic aids for steering and putting the power down while the other is a ECONO car with crank windows that only weighs 2900lbs with a Quaife LSD and a hard hitting Turbo charged engine that in independant studies was putting down roughly 265 flywheel hp.

I have driven SRT-4's they pull like freight trains.... but they are so bland and basic inside and out. I loved the ACR seats though.

My guess is the :ST: is not goig to feel that fast but will be fast. Heavy quiet cars have that feel. My 1992 GTI with a VR6 swap and bolt on's was scary fast because it only weighed 2100lbs and put down 210ish hp(never dyno'd)

Stock to Stock 1/4 mile edge to SRT-4
Stock to Stock fast lap at any track edge to :ST:
Stock to Stock bang for your buck :ST:

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said I understand the technology hump from 2005 to now. My main thought was performance like the stats you posted.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Like I said I understand the technology hump from 2005 to now. My main thought was performance like the stats you posted.
Ford may underrate the :ST:. they have done it in the past. Some vehicles are really underrated like the 03/04 Cobra.

·
Registered
354 Posts
A comparison to a SRT-4 Dart is not likely a fair comparison if all the rumors for the SRT are true.

The ST won't have a chance against 300+ HP and AWD. Sounds from what I have read the SRT will take direct aim at the STI and EVO.

·
Registered
693 Posts
A comparison to a SRT-4 Dart is not likely a fair comparison if all the rumors for the SRT are true.

The ST won't have a chance against 300+ HP and AWD. Sounds from what I have read the SRT will take direct aim at the STI and EVO.
I highly doubt that the dart will be awd, considering the last was fwd. If they made it awd Dodge will be pricing it way to high. I'm sure the direct competition will be the gti, ST group. Will it make close to 300 hp? Sure it will. But with a few mods and I'm sure next years ST will have at least a 10hp bump. Also, I don't think the dart is capable of an awful setup without a whole lot of chassis reworking.

·
Registered
440 Posts
If the Dodge Dart SRT-4 is anything like the Caliber SRT-4... We have nothing to worry about. If the FIAT engineers get in there the :ST: will have some company.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Whether it is AWD or not depends on who they want to compete with. If it is the ST and Speed3 then it won't be but I can't see it being less than the 300 HP since the Caliber SRT-4 was 285.

From the preliminary reports on the Dart it is already solid competition for the Focus in the areas of performance, ride, handling and technology features. An SRT with 50 more HP than an ST will give it quite an advantage in performance.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had an SRT4 (neon), fun little car for sure. The motor proved itself to be overbuilt and pretty much bullet-proof. I never had a single problem during the 3 years, 40,000 miles or so I owned it. Not bad for a dodge. I wouldn't really compare the ST to the SRT4 though.

I think the MS3 and GTI are the best comparison's. Ford even said it themselves, the veedub GTI was the benchmark throughout development of the ST. And why not, the MK6 GTI is a fantastic car, a 10 best winner for the last 3 years. Though I have an ST on order, every now and then I have to fight back urges to just say screw it and buy a new GTI, they are fun little cars for sure.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Whether it is AWD or not depends on who they want to compete with. If it is the ST and Speed3 then it won't be but I can't see it being less than the 300 HP since the Caliber SRT-4 was 285.

From the preliminary reports on the Dart it is already solid competition for the Focus in the areas of performance, ride, handling and technology features. An SRT with 50 more HP than an ST will give it quite an advantage in performance.

Looks like a Michael Bay creation... Woof!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You need to read this... ALL of us need to read this:

http://fordstnation.com/focus-st-general-discussion/488-know-your-consumer-rights-mods-do-not-void-warrantees.html#post3524

It's against the law to "VOID" the warranty. They can deny a warranty claim if they can prove the mod caused the failure.

BTW, anything you purchase from the Mopar Performance catalog that impacts the emissions certification of the vehicle is sold for "off-road use only" and the parts have no warranty. So if you purchased a Stage 1 ecu and it crapped out after a week you are out of luck. It's been that way with MP since they were the Direct Connection in the 70's. That being said if the parts were installed by the dealer they typically stand behind the parts that fail.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts