Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 792 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I thought about working on a spreadsheet comparing the 4 hot hatches. Not because I'm looking to get something else (already ordered the Focus ST), but more to help others make the right choice (which is, of course, the Focus ST ;) ) This is what I have so far. Having trouble finding a torque/power curve for the WRX though.
I'm still missing some stats. And I'd need a second eye to be sure I was correct on all these stats, but here's a screenshot of the spreadsheet so far.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337823195.627890.jpg

·
Registered
338 Posts
I didn't realize the ST had so much more torque pretty much across the board compared to the MS3...that's huge. It's going to leave a lot of the "Zoom zoom" crowd scratching their heads when they can't keep up, despite the peak numbers being lower on the ST. The lower curb weight doesn't hurt, either! Glorious.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Very interesting comparison! Max torque and HP mean nothing compared to the way the ST is putting down the power!

·
4,009 Posts
You know, I loved the way power came on in my Dad's 86 SAAB turbo and that had dreadful lag, less torque and less power than the ST so I can't wait to drive this beast.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
So when does the MS3 actually put out 263 HP? In a few hundred RPM range above 5500 just before you shift?

·
Registered
589 Posts
Well i do not like Asian cars , sat in my friend's MS3 and i did not like how it drives , only car i would consider is the GTi but compared to the ST price and equipment i stick with the ST :LOL:

·
4,009 Posts
The C30 would be good to add. It shares the same platform as the Focus and the Mazda. Until now, it was as close tonthe ST sold in Europe that we in the states would ever get.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Updated it a bit this morning. I wouldn't mind adding other cars. The Volvo C30 and Civic SI may be added as well. It's hard to find torque figures for the WRX. What I'd really like is a good dyno sheet for the 2012 model, stock. I've heard it has a lot of turbo lag. Maybe that's why no one wants to show a dyno run.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1337859787.368699.jpg

·
Registered
118 Posts
STI and Golf R are a little more expensive than loaded ST. GTI and WRX are priced closer to ST.
On the other hand ST is top performance trim of Focus. Top performance trims of Golf is R and Impreza is WRX STI.

So in short ST can be compared/cross shopped to all above.

Krzys

·
Registered
100 Posts
Love the torque!

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yeah but the STI and Golf R START at rough 34K. If the ST can compete realistically with those cars, weather it wins or looses I'm impressed cause our car start at 24.9K.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Actually Mac. The wrx Turbo is a perfectly matched Turbo. There is minimal lag. Its a blast to drive.

·
Registered
440 Posts
New Genesis 2.0T, Veloster turbo should be added to the list.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Actually Mac. The wrx Turbo is a perfectly matched Turbo. There is minimal lag. Its a blast to drive.
Every other review said otherwise. I often heard people saying that 0-60 in 5s is impossible without starting at a dead stop and dropping the clutch, and that they'd be worried merging or turning into traffic from a stop because it took a while for the turbo to kick in. You're the very first person who has said there was no turbo lag.
I need to get a good HP/torque chart for the WRX to verify these claims though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
693 Posts
Well Turbo lag is the nature of the beast. In some form or another there will be some. If there isn't than the power is going to die early. But like you said a nice dyno graph should clarify the power range. A butt dyno is 30% effective 70% of the time.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Great spread sheet Mac. I'm wondering where you got your 0 - 60 numbers for the GTI and Speed3, because I seem to recall most quoted averages for GTI being 6.2s for 6spMT and 5.9 for the DSG. The Speed3 at 5.1 might be possible with drag slicks, but street tires can't possibly be that fast?
Interested to see a WRX power curve also as they feel very quick. The things that killed the new WRX for me are gas mileage and interior.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I believe I got them from the company websites. May have to double check them.
More than willing to add more cars. If I have some time I will. Getting the torque curves seems to be the most difficult thing to find, but looking at them really shows there the Focus ST shines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would take the WRX off. When you shift over to 4WD, you are changing the core handling dynamics of the car and, for me, that is the soul of the car right there. I'm not saying it's in a better class, it's just too different to put side-by-side. Additionally, the hatch WRX is essentially the red headed step child next to the much better selling sedan, so it's not even really marketed as a hot hatch - more like a "eh, it comes in a 5-door too."

1 - 20 of 792 Posts