Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Folks

Just wanted to give everyone a run down of the HID in the ST3. These are electronic gas powered headlight lamps.

Bulb Type: D8S
Manufacture: OSRAM
Type: OSRAM XENARC
Watts: 25
Luminous: 2000
Color Temperature Kelvin: 4,500
Luminous Efficacy: 80 Lums per watt
Lamp Life: 3000 hours

On the bottom is a attached PDF for the series

ST3 Lamp:

ST3 Ballast/Inverter/Ignitor:

ST3 Bulb D8S:

Black & White Roof Shot of Cut Off and Light Output:

Driver Side View Cut Off:

Passenger Side View Cut Off:

Attachments

Reactions: booost

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
There's a big thread on D8S bulbs that I started on hidplanet.net
D8S

Apparently they're not well known at all...

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There's a big thread on D8S bulbs that I started on hidplanet.net

Apparently they're not well known at all...
From what I gather over there Pete. These are brand new bulbs, and are VERY efficient. It looks like we can bolt on another projector, and do a retrofit HID kit with ease. I will do that mod for sure. Plus projector & HID retrofit for the fogs. I am Considering on using the 2010 Fusion fog projectors.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
440 Posts
From what I gather over there Pete. These are brand new bulbs, and are VERY efficient. It looks like we can bolt on another projector, and do a retrofit HID kit with ease. I will do that mod for sure. Plus projector & HID retrofit for the fogs. I am Considering on using the 2010 Fusion fog projectors.
That is easier said than done with a Ford housing. I don't know what they use to seal the housings together on their newer headlights but I haven't seen anybody who has been able to separate the housings without totally destroying them.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yeah - I read threads about people doing retrofits and stuff on these multi lamp HID housings...man, that scares the crap out of me. For what these OEM housings cost, I'm not willing to risk doing stuff like baking the housings to melt glue joints, etc. I replaced the SVT lights with off brand Depo units when the originals turned cloudy yellow. The price was right, but the quality just isn't the same as far as lens quality and cutoff. So I need the factory ones to last on me.

Frankly, those pictures look pretty good. But the real test will be seeing it from the driver's seat.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good read about these bulbs:
Xenon for everyone | carlightblog

The article claims that the output is not noticeable different from a 35watt HID at 3000 Lim.
It was a good read. But to clarify, if I may, they say that the frontal luminosity is about the same but that the width of the beam is reduced. Something has to give.

From the article:
"An automatic headlight range control system and a headlamp washer system are compulsory from 2000 lumens upwards."
Really? The auto leveling I kinda understand, but a headlight washer system is mandatory? Really? That's sounds stupid, IMHO. What is the reasoning behind that I wonder? Sounds like a bit of over-regulation to me. *grumble*

I'm starting to get sick about this. I was thrilled to pony up the extra money so that the ST would be my first car with those really nice, bright, HID lights. And I find out that they aren't as nice because they'd have to come with washers?!? :?:

·
Registered
76 Posts
These are awful. 2000 lumens? Thats barely more than 65w halogen bulbs. Most OEM HID are in the 2850-3000 lumen range depending on the ballasts/bulbs, and the hotspots on these projectors are ridiculous with no width (maybe could be fixed with a clear lens and shields mods). I will definitely be getting a ST2 and retrofitting FXR D2S projectors in.

With that said, I have read of auto-dimming on these ST headlight lights when the electrical is under load? Is this true? What kind of resistors will we have to add to eliminate this to run a full HID projector conversion on the basic ST2 package halogen lamps?

Output shot of the pathetic ST3 d8s projector output thanks to theretrofitsource.com:

·
Premium Member
1,368 Posts
Glad I'm not just being nit-picky... If theretrofitsource.com thinks they suck then they definitely suck, haha. I'm very interested in the FX-R projectors from what I've seen on youtube and forums... they look incredible. Think they can be retrofitted in the ST3 lights?

·
Registered
303 Posts
It was a good read. But to clarify, if I may, they say that the frontal luminosity is about the same but that the width of the beam is reduced. Something has to give.

From the article:
"An automatic headlight range control system and a headlamp washer system are compulsory from 2000 lumens upwards."
Really? The auto leveling I kinda understand, but a headlight washer system is mandatory? Really? That's sounds stupid, IMHO. What is the reasoning behind that I wonder? Sounds like a bit of over-regulation to me. *grumble*

I'm starting to get sick about this. I was thrilled to pony up the extra money so that the ST would be my first car with those really nice, bright, HID lights. And I find out that they aren't as nice because they'd have to come with washers?!? :?:
The headlight washer system for HIDs over 2000 lumens is mandatory in many European countries, but I don't believe it's mandatory in Canada/US, though there may be other factors that dictate the luminosity regulations over here. It'd actually be nice to have headamp washers in the winter months to wash the salt and crap off the headlights. I'm always using the nasty-ass squeegees at gas stations.

I'm pretty satisfied with the brightness of the HID lights - the high beams are halogen, so you don't want or need blindingly bright HID lights for low beams anyways. The car has cornering lamps as well to provide extra illumination around curves, so I wouldn't get too worked up about the crappiness of the stock HIDs. They are only one part of the overall headllight system and they are certainly adequate for their purpose. Plus, they look pretty damn sharp with the LED eyebrows.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone know if the d8s bulb is physically identical to another bulb type that we could maybe drop in (with a new ballast to go along with it of course) so that we could run 35 (or maybe even 55w) HIDs without tearing the lights apart for a full retrofit? The slightly sloppy cutoff doesn't bother me so much (I come from reflector HIDs) but I wonder about more output than just 2000 lumens

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is easier said than done with a Ford housing. I don't know what they use to seal the housings together on their newer headlights but I haven't seen anybody who has been able to separate the housings without totally destroying them.
I was worried about it, but I've seen this thread where they just cut the back of the housing, and resealed them. You can use a dremel tool to cut the lenses. I've seen it done many times, but I don't trust the reseal part.

I have also seen the baking of the lamps, but with Ford and the way seal them these days it would not bake my lamps.

Yeah - I read threads about people doing retrofits and stuff on these multi lamp HID housings...man, that scares the crap out of me. For what these OEM housings cost, I'm not willing to risk doing stuff like baking the housings to melt glue joints, etc. I replaced the SVT lights with off brand Depo units when the originals turned cloudy yellow. The price was right, but the quality just isn't the same as far as lens quality and cutoff. So I need the factory ones to last on me.

Frankly, those pictures look pretty good. But the real test will be seeing it from the driver's seat.
I am willing to cut the back of the housings if they fit like one person suggested. But I will verify with TRS Team. It will take me awhile to save for this project, because the way I see it, its at least a net $500 cost.

If they bolt right into place (the FX-R Projectors) then there should be no issue with adjusting.

From the article:

I am not 100% sure why they put this HID system in the car, but I would think it has something to do with energy conservation/Fuel Economy. Most likely the same system goes into the Focus Electric, and coming soon the Focus Ti.

These are awful. 2000 lumens? Thats barely more than 65w halogen bulbs. Most OEM HID are in the 2850-3000 lumen range depending on the ballasts/bulbs, and the hotspots on these projectors are ridiculous with no width (maybe could be fixed with a clear lens and shields mods). I will definitely be getting a ST2 and retrofitting FXR D2S projectors in.

With that said, I have read of auto-dimming on these ST headlight lights when the electrical is under load? Is this true? What kind of resistors will we have to add to eliminate this to run a full HID projector conversion on the basic ST2 package halogen lamps?
I will look forward to that projects :) :thumb:

... Think they can be retrofitted in the ST3 lights?
I will check into that Pete! :)

I'm pretty satisfied with the brightness of the HID lights - the high beams are halogen, so you don't want or need blindingly bright HID lights for low beams anyways. The car has cornering lamps as well to provide extra illumination around curves, so I wouldn't get too worked up about the crappiness of the stock HIDs. They are only one part of the overall headllight system and they are certainly adequate for their purpose. Plus, they look pretty damn sharp with the LED eyebrows.
I definitely think for 90% of people that have the ST3 will be completely fine with the HID's. :thumb:

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Anyone know if the d8s bulb is physically identical to another bulb type that we could maybe drop in (with a new ballast to go along with it of course) so that we could run 35 (or maybe even 55w) HIDs without tearing the lights apart for a full retrofit? The slightly sloppy cutoff doesn't bother me so much (I come from reflector HIDs) but I wonder about more output than just 2000 lumens
The Retrofit Source Forum seemed to think we could mod the bulb holder to take a D1S HID. You can run into the problem where maybe the projector is not designed for the amount of heat the D1S puts out...ect But it seems like someone just needs to try it and report back.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Chad,

Are you changing the high beam bulb? I ordered Sylvania H1 SilverStar zHe High Performance bulbs for my high beams. I'd love to do what you're doing but I'm not that technically gifted unfortunately. I ordered Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs for the fog lights. Not as good as your project, but I guess they'll suffice for me.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad I'm not just being nit-picky... If theretrofitsource.com thinks they suck then they definitely suck, haha. I'm very interested in the FX-R projectors from what I've seen on youtube and forums... they look incredible. Think they can be retrofitted in the ST3 lights?
Not sure if they will bolt right up to the ST3 lamps, but they might with slight modification since both are 2.5" lenses. As for the ST2, it will easily fit but you have to perform a full retrofit which some may be uncomfortable doing (its not too bad though). The FXR is wonderful, I retro-d them in my F150 and love them. I've also done several MH1 retrofits for friends and even those little projectors are much better performing than these ST3s.

But yes, when I get a ST2 it will be getting the FXR treatment with Osram CBI bulbs. :)

The Retrofit Source Forum seemed to think we could mod the bulb holder to take a D1S HID. You can run into the problem where maybe the projector is not designed for the amount of heat the D1S puts out...ect But it seems like someone just needs to try it and report back.
Switching the bulb will only add lumens, but for better performance the projectors need some work too. If you are going to open them up you might as well try to fit some clear lenses and make some better shields for them to improve width and uniformity of the light pattern.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Chad,

Are you changing the high beam bulb? I ordered Sylvania H1 SilverStar zHe High Performance bulbs for my high beams. I'd love to do what you're doing but I'm not that technically gifted unfortunately. I ordered Hoen Xenonmatch bulbs for the fog lights. Not as good as your project, but I guess they'll suffice for me.
I will do a full HOW TO on the fogs and my projectors project for the headlamps. :)

Not sure if they will bolt right up to the ST3 lamps, but they might with slight modification since both are 2.5" lenses. As for the ST2, it will easily fit but you have to perform a full retrofit which some may be uncomfortable doing (its not too bad though). The FXR is wonderful, I retro-d them in my F150 and love them. I've also done several MH1 retrofits for friends and even those little projectors are much better performing than these ST3s.

But yes, when I get a ST2 it will be getting the FXR treatment with Osram CBI bulbs. :)

Switching the bulb will only add lumens, but for better performance the projectors need some work too. If you are going to open them up you might as well try to fit some clear lenses and make some better shields for them to improve width and uniformity of the light pattern.
Yeah I have seen the output on the D2S and they look really great.

Also I believe when you buy from the retrofit source you get clear lens with the FX-R projectors.

But I couldn't agree more with make these lamps things better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I will do a full HOW TO on the fogs and my projectors project for the headlamps. :)

Yeah I have seen the output on the D2S and they look really great.

Also I believe when you buy from the retrofit source you get clear lens with the FX-R projectors.

But I couldn't agree more with make these lamps things better.
Yep, the FXRs come with clear lenses.

I haven't seen the ST foglamps in person, but they look tiny. Even too small for the smallest projectors it seems. You think a matchbox projector would fit? (lens is 1.7" diameter).

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fog lamps are nearly 2.5". ;)

I'll find out when I pull them apart. I've already bought projectors, and the are 1 7/8 "

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
HID bulb removal, not the same car, but the same concept. My fingers are too big to fit in there.

I cannot get the bulb out. My hands are too big. I even took pliers to the the bulb. At the risk of damaging the bulb, I stopped. If someone else can get the out, let me know.

·
Registered
218 Posts
to do a conversion the cars are going to require resistors and an HID harness for the headlights. The computer does monitor power going to the headlights and cuts power during deceleration to conserve energy (aka fuel) meaning if you don't run a wiring harness and resistors the lights will flicker and shut off/or you will have a dip beam error on the dash illuminate. Fog lights are not monitored by the computer. I currently have 8K headlights and 3K foglights sitting on my counter with all mounting hardware....now if my car would have arrived like it was supposed to today I could get to work.....

Both headlights and foglights are H11 bulbs.
Resistors: Resistor Link 50W 6 ohm - Retro-Solutions Store
Harness (if you choose 2012 Focus the harness comes with resistors) HID relay wiring harness - Retro-Solutions Store

Reactions: Chad
1 - 20 of 40 Posts