Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All--this is Jim from Laguna Beach. I currently drive a Focus SVT that I bought new in its first year (2002) that currently has 175k miles on it. It runs great despite the mileage and burns absolutely no oil.

As it was a first year, low production vehicle I expect my experience with this car may predict what will happen with the ST. Net, there were quite a few of the "unique" parts on the car that broke and were replaced by redesigned parts--this included the two stage manifold, the clutch/flywheel assembly, and most spectacularly the rear control arm. Turned out that the stiffer anti-roll bar put too much stress on the attachment point on the control arm--the result was a broken control arm and the rear of the car hitting the pavement. Luckily in my case this took place at 5 MPH. This was fixed for the 03 model year with a reinforced control arm.

Despite these problems (and many other replaced parts over time) I love the SVT and am very interested in the ST. I do believe however that there will likely be significant issues with Year 1.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Hi there and welcome

:welcome:

When we do have issues these forums will help us spot them :)

And wow on the mileage with your svt

:thumb:

·
Registered
778 Posts
Welcome!!

The first year issues is what really has me hesitant about buying an ST this year. However, I'm pretty sure if I don't buy one this year, I will not be able to for many more years.

It's good to hear your still love your svt though!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hi All--this is Jim from Laguna Beach. I currently drive a Focus SVT that I bought new in its first year (2002) that currently has 175k miles on it. It runs great despite the mileage and burns absolutely no oil.

As it was a first year, low production vehicle I expect my experience with this car may predict what will happen with the ST. Net, there were quite a few of the "unique" parts on the car that broke and were replaced by redesigned parts--this included the two stage manifold, the clutch/flywheel assembly, and most spectacularly the rear control arm. Turned out that the stiffer anti-roll bar put too much stress on the attachment point on the control arm--the result was a broken control arm and the rear of the car hitting the pavement. Luckily in my case this took place at 5 MPH. This was fixed for the 03 model year with a reinforced control arm.

Despite these problems (and many other replaced parts over time) I love the SVT and am very interested in the ST. I do believe however that there will likely be significant issues with Year 1.
Welcome to ST Nation forum. Likewise, I am the original owner of a 2002 SVT Focus; however I only have 60K miles on mine (it was nice having a company car over the last 10 years so I didn't have to put many miles on the SVT). The ST is unquestionably the spiritual successor to the SVT; and even though there were initial problems with the 2002 SVT I was fortunate not to have anything too serious. I remember that those of us who were early adapters got screwed in the warranty area, because I think Ford changed the drive train warranty starting with the 2003 SVT. :( One area that I think is a major plus in favor of the ST verses the SVT is that our 2002 cars were built in Mexico. Focus assembly in Mexico had numerous quality control issues back then (in fact my car was delayed nearly 2 months as they worked out a fix for a faulty cruise control issue). I have to believe that with all of the lead time testing, prototypes running around for over a year - and assembly in Michigan - will result in better build quality for the ST. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Check your rear control arm....

Welcome to ST Nation forum. Likewise, I am the original owner of a 2002 SVT Focus; however I only have 60K miles on mine (it was nice having a company car over the last 10 years so I didn't have to put many miles on the SVT). The ST is unquestionably the spiritual successor to the SVT; and even though there were initial problems with the 2002 SVT I was fortunate not to have anything too serious. I remember that those of us who were early adapters got screwed in the warranty area, because I think Ford changed the drive train warranty starting with the 2003 SVT. :( One area that I think is a major plus in favor of the ST verses the SVT is that our 2002 cars were built in Mexico. Focus assembly in Mexico had numerous quality control issues back then (in fact my car was delayed nearly 2 months as they worked out a fix for a faulty cruise control issue). I have to believe that with all of the lead time testing, prototypes running around for over a year - and assembly in Michigan - will result in better build quality for the ST. :D
Hi--it is nice to speak with another Focus SVT owner! The issues with my car are all design, not build, issues and that is what has me worried. One thing--please keep an eye on your rear control arms, specifically the point where the sway bar attaches. The 2002 uses an unreinforced control arm (changed to a reinforced one in 2003) that is just not strong enough for the application. The result is that the arm breaks and the result is not pretty. It happened to me at about 120k miles and moving at about 5mph, but had it happened under other circumstances I would not be writing this note. If I were you I would simply replace the arms with the reinforced 2003 version right now. Best of luck!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Jim - thanks for the heads up. Remember, I've only got 60,000 miles on my 2002 SVT, but the car is 10 years old. I'm going to have someone check out the rear control arms within the next couple of weeks. Don't want to be driving in the midst of all this Atlanta traffic and have a catastrophic failure. :eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts