Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the back up camera only comes with the car when you get the self park feature. I have the back up sensors in my titanium and they are nice but a camera would be better. With MFT, the screen is already there so why not offer it as an option.

I have it I my Flex. It's very clear, much better than the one in my mother's Honda Odyssey. Makes hooking up a trailer a one person job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the back up camera only comes with the car when you get the self park feature.
The issue with the ST would be the fact that it is a Manual. I can't imagine a super advanced self parking feature that also doesn't stall the car out because of the manual transmission.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think the back up camera only comes with the car when you get the self park feature. I have the back up sensors in my titanium and they are nice but a camera would be better. With MFT, the screen is already there so why not offer it as an option.

I have it I my Flex. It's very clear, much better than the one in my mother's Honda Odyssey. Makes hooking up a trailer a one person job.
Why would you need a back-up camera if the car parks itself? I believe that's only an option with an automatic transmission, am I right? Plus, I don't think you'll be towing anything with the ST, so no need for it there. It WOULD be a nice feature to have! And I agree with you that the screen is already there with MFT, so why not offer it as an option? Probably just to cut production costs...

The thing that bothers me MOST about this car is the unavailablity of the dark grey wheels in the U.S.. I was REALLY counting on this option to go on a Tuxedo Black ST! Are we SURE that it will not be offered as an option? This doesn't make sense! Why not offer it here if it's already an option in Europe? Is there some governmental policy against selling dark grey rims in the states?!

Not real pleased on the look of the HID headlamps either. They seem real "chromy" compared to the dark accents on the standard lamps. LOVE the light produced by the HID's but not a fan of the way the whole headlight unit looks.

Like others, I also was hoping to be able to get the ST3 package lighting but without the full-leather seats. Was REALLY hoping for the black/red two-toned seats to be available. These would look so cool with the dark grey rims and red painted brake calipers that supposedly are only available on EU versions. This was my plan

This is all going downhill so fast. I don't want to spend top dollar to get the ST3 package and have a bunch of things included that I don't like/want like voice-activated navigation or full-leather seats. On the other hand, I don't want to get the ST2 package and not have a bunch of things I really want like the lighting and heated mirrors only available with the ST3 package.

NOT the news I was looking for...

·
Registered
495 Posts
The auto park feature works fine with a manual transmission, you control the car just like normal; you just allow the computer to turn the wheel. Many European foci have the parking assist feature with the manual tranny. If the options are similar to the current focus, the backup camera only comes with the parking tech package (the one with the park assist). It adds front proximity sensors and the backup camera to your car.

FYI: the park assist works incredibly well, I don't get to parallel park often where I live, but when I do; I like to use the assist to see how tight of a space I can get it in :) I really wanted the camera for backing into my garage but didn't need the park assist, so the dealer cut me a deal, very happy it worked out for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
This interesting, clever video was developed by a Paris ad agency; but shows the "benefits" of Park Assist. I hope I haven't violated Forum rules by pulling this the Autoblog site:

Ford tilts pinball parkers to promote Focus, Active Park Assist
And for those of you curious about parking assist + manual, it does show the guy using a manual with the parking assist. It only shows him putting it in reverse, so I'm guessing the system just tells you what gear to use.

·
Registered
495 Posts
And for those of you curious about parking assist + manual, it does show the guy using a manual with the parking assist. It only shows him putting it in reverse, so I'm guessing the system just tells you what gear to use.
This is correct, it works the exact same way w/ the dual clutch auto, it tells you what direction to go and when to stop. You control the forward/reverse motion of the car entirely yourself.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Maybe have someone start a new thread about park assist? Just saying. Think we are getting off topic.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No need for a thread, to put it to rest: Park Assist only operates the steering wheel. The driver still works the brakes/clutch/gas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts