Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
I have made it to 240 so far. I need more space and less cross winds.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Nice! Got to drive on the Autobahn once in a Mercedes 230 Kompressor. Saw 151 which was its electronically limited top speed. Thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Having never been in the autobahn is it really that smooth where you can do these top speed runs? I guess im used to NY roads which get deadly at 85+.
Yes, it is that smooth. Do you want to drive a bumpy or uneven road at 200mph or more?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Best road system in the world- The German Autobahnen!

Yes! The Autobahn is a road network of high performance engineering genius that is designed for German's passion, driving the best cars in the world! It is important to note that the system is great because of the level of driver training and adherence to the rules of the road. It would never work in the States, where any idiot or unqualified driver can get behind the wheel... They also invest a great deal of effort and money into these roadways. For example, they don't spot fill an area of the road, they redo the entire section, which is close to 2 meters thick, compared to our shoddy US highways. The unlimited speed zones are becoming less prevalent in built up areas though. However, there are still many great expanses of super highway across Germany you can open up your car or bike to it's maximum potential (short of super cars). My favorites are the A8, A6, and A95. When considering leaving Germany to head south to Italy, the drive through the Brenner pass, with all it's winding alpine turns and great views, is fantastic. Unfortunately Italy has a max limit of 130 Kph. I wish I had my ST3 when I was over there. I had a BMW 540i and reached 140-155 MPH several times. What a blast. Sigh...American road system.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The autobahn was designed for the German military to move efficiently between strategic locations. They USED to be 2m think but sadly are now only about 80cm to 1m thick due to costs. Concrete is also being replaced by asphalt due to the cost of concrete.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.