Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ford's Focus ST hot hatch gets a diesel engine and a slightly more sensible, cost-conscious persona but it's still a blast!

Now that a full-fat Ford Focus RS ? rumoured to have four-wheel drive and well over 350bhp ? has been confirmed for production in 2016, the Focus ST has a more sensible, supporting role to fulfill. So, as well as fully updating the 247bhp 2.0 EcoBoost model, Ford has introduced a VW Golf GTD-rivalling diesel version for the first time.

Ford has high hopes for this model in the UK - and with good reason - nearly a third of all Focus STs sold since the first-generation launched in 2002 have been to UK buyers. And this is a car sold in 40 countries around the world don?t forget. But can a diesel car really be called a hot-hatch?

Based on the existing 148bhp 2.0 TDCi, but with a retuned ECU, modified air intake system and a sports exhaust, the new engine produces 182bhp and 400Nm of torque. Peak power arrives at 3,500rpm, but as with all diesel engines that?s largely irrelevant, what matters is you can access maximum torque from 2,000rpm to 2,750rpm so 0-62mph takes a slightly lacklustre 8.1 seconds, but 31-62mph takes a sprightly 6.9 seconds.

Read more: Ford Focus ST diesel 2015 review | Auto Express

...:cool:

·
Registered
31 Posts
sorry but i don't understand. you buy a sport car or hot-hatch and you all you care is your milage.
but i think all that matters is 182bhp instead of 247. or 8.1sec instead of 6.5 sec.

so i think if you would like a diesel buy a regular TdCi.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Why when you can have your cake and ice cream too?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Will they call it the STD?:D

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
ST185 TDCi as the Petrol ST is the ST250 and at least the prior diesel Mondeo ST was the ST155 vs the gasoline powered ST220.
St185 TDCi???!! Petrol!!??!
That ain't how we 'mericans say things. We like acronyms, SO if D-St sticks I'll use that LOL
(I kid)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Just drove a diesel wagon courtesy of Team RS in Merkenich. Mommy, why can't we have nice things? (c) In red, no less, but I saw the beautiful Stealth purplish gray in person as well...so much better looking than our Magnetic, I must say.

The ride is incredibly smooth. You wouldn't know you were in a diesel from driving it or looking at it (the only thing that gives it away as far as I can tell is a differently-graded tach). Hit 190 (km, not miles) on the A4. Would have hit over 200 if I was on the A1, but the road coming back from Belgium was a little rough. Found myself wishing we had things like traffic sign recognition in the U.S. as well. Not sure I would buy a diesel over the petrol version if given the option, but I'm definitely glad it exists!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Should also mention that I managed 6.5 l/100 km per trip computer (roughly 36 mpg) on the some-250 km drive of highly varying velocities.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts