Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Maybe I'm confused, but it looks like the non-tuned car was quicker?

Reactions: Durp

·
Registered
495 Posts
haha, you guys made him super depressed at work today! He had such aspirations of grandeur but the rain spoiled it. Hopefully sometime in the near future we will get a good day to do the test he had envisioned.

·
Registered
392 Posts
What is this? Pull the video!

You had my hopes up. :p

·
Registered
549 Posts
I've been waiting for someone to do this, in fact I'm hoping to do a test like this in spring with a TorrieTuned car. Wish this had been longer to see the real world difference. I keep hearing about the tunes, but I remember years ago with my WRX that all the talk of a stage1 flash was barely noticeable in the real world.
When I see this happen, then I'll decide about flashing or not:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DqNNU0Frfck" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
495 Posts
That is the dream, the reality is there is nowhere around here that would facilitate such a test legally. We are looking at doing some quarter mile runs w/ multiple cameras and timing devices in the near future out on a country road. Unfortunately we don't have a place to do side-by-sides without heavily breaking multiple laws.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Appreciate the effort, I know it's tough putting this kind of thing together with all the variables of location and the law etc. Country road sounds good, as long as there are no side roads, driveways etc, may well be able to get a good 2nd gear through 3rd gear pull and that can speak volumes as to how good a tune is vs. stock. I love the Megane video above, that 4th gear pull is really amazing the difference is pretty huge and shows that a tune in that car is totally worth it.
If it's like 2 car lengths, would hardly seem worth it, if it's like a dozen car lengths then worth every penny.

·
Registered
245 Posts
That is the dream, the reality is there is nowhere around here that would facilitate such a test legally. We are looking at doing some quarter mile runs w/ multiple cameras and timing devices in the near future out on a country road. Unfortunately we don't have a place to do side-by-sides without heavily breaking multiple laws.
Sign up for an HPDE at the full course Autobahn Country Club in Joliet, have you and your friend roll off the back of the group. Stop at the end of the back stretch and you'd have a ton more space than would be necessary. Just need to talk your instructor into going along with it. I've gotten up to 120 by the end of the straight before the left passing the grandstands. It's only 1.5 hours away.

http://www.autobahncc.com/PDFs/FullCircuit.pdf

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Maybe we will just hit up a 1/4 drag strip this spring. We each have gopros we can mount of the cars to get multiple views.

I know the video kinda sucks. But it does demonstrate the difference in 3rd gear from 20-60 mph. So about 1,400rpm - 4,300 rpm. From the video you can see the Unleashed car starts to pull faster towards the end. This would make sense because it should have a strong advantage in the high rpms where the stock car's power drops off.

Oh, and for all those complaining about the lame video (it is very limited :thumbd:), how about YOU go make a better one. :thumb: I would really like to see the real world difference.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Appreciate the effort, I know it's tough putting this kind of thing together with all the variables of location and the law etc. Country road sounds good, as long as there are no side roads, driveways etc, may well be able to get a good 2nd gear through 3rd gear pull and that can speak volumes as to how good a tune is vs. stock.
The beauty of corn country is that you can see for miles during the winter on our country roads.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Don't be stupid, find a track or strip and get the hell off the road with this crap.

I love driving my car hard just like the next guy, but I do it at an autoX or a HPDE. Think twice and save a life, and i'm not talking about yours.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.