The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
That is certainly private information. Thank you. :thumb:

Reactions: Mightius

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I know how you feel. The ST is just not a high priority for Ford. The Focus electric is probably a higher priority, regular Focus sales are really doing well now, the new Explorer is making a ton of money for the company. The new cargo van is coming, heck I saw a Taurus SHO commercial on TV this week! This all leads me to believe the ST is low car on the priority list.
Yeah, this low priority treatment is obvious and was/still is a big reason for me to just stick with my Ti.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thanks elnorte. 7500 doesn't sound like a lot of cars, but it is a niche sale. Do you happen to know the run of comparable VW and Mazda models? The Volt is a car that has been hyped to death and I don't think it's sold more than 7500, so that number may be enough to meet the demand.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't work for Ford but have worked on a number of SVT launches (GT, Gen II and III L, 03 Cobra, & Shelby). I have been anxiously awaiting the ST's launch but have to believe there are issues with drive train, durability or supplier issues. A similar issue happened with the 03 cobra. Roush couldn't keep rods in the lower end with the Eaton. At the end of the day they scrapped the 02 cobra and after failing durability test after durability test called Manley for H beam rods. Ford like every other company is in business to make money, which they do by selling cars. IMO they are not delaying this launch because they want to.

·
Registered
547 Posts
what's private information? lol Build #'s are estimates due to demand. Similar to the Shelby #'s. My guy tells me that our 2 yard ST's are locked up. So, I'm not sure when I will be able to drive one. Hopefully soon! :thumb:

·
Registered
4 Posts
PHP:
With a $40k MSRP and GM idling Volt production for over a month I doubt that is the case. Give the consumers the truth and they will respect that.

·
Registered
547 Posts
PHP:
With a $40k MSRP and GM idling Volt production for over a month I doubt that is the case. Give the consumers the truth and they will respect that.
And the 2 models of the Cmax. Nice, but it is the truth. I work there. So, I might know a thing or two. It doesnt take over night to set up a plant to run multiple cars.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
So basically what we are really waiting for is the ST's production date. All part of the plan I suppose. You can't sell a car that cannot first be ready to build on the line.I've got a question. Is there special line for custom ordered cars by consumers? Versus dealer ordered. Versus...

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
While I am not affiliated with the auto industry, I would imagine they all run on the same lines. At the machinery production plant where I work anyway, whether the machine has a customer-requested special feature or is just a standard dealer unit, each machine model family is all built on the same line as it would be much more expensive to have a separate line to build the same machine. Although the standard machines are typically built first since they can be built faster.

At the end of the day dealer ordered or consumer ordered are the same cars. Dealers would likely order many of the same features a consumer would, it's just a matter of whether or not the assembler at the plant grabs the parts from the bins associated with that option to install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And the 2 models of the Cmax. Nice, but it is the truth. I work there. So, I might know a thing or two. It doesnt take over night to set up a plant to run multiple cars.
I am not questioning your knowledge. I know and have worked with a number of employees at the Wayne assembly plant, POEE, Roush in Allen Park, & corporate purchasing. I also know that whatever you do know you have limited room to discuss on a public forum.

·
Registered
110 Posts
By the time the damn thing becomes availiable it will need and update or facelift. So I think they should just cancel and start over. For :xxx: sake this waiting is getting really old. I love the car but come on!!
Seriously? The '12 Focus was a whole new car and this is going to be a '13.

Relax! If you think you can find better value for money, go buy it.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Craig

Did we still loose you?

:)

Reactions: cessna and petraman

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Unfortunately, still yes. I played around with the configurator, and although it was finally nice to do so, it contained no new information and all the pictures in it were rendered, not taken from real cars. Adding to that the fact that they don't highlight the ST on the Ford homepage, just makes me feel like they finally got bothered enough to throw us a freakin' bone, albeit a welcomed one.

The other nail in the coffin that I can't seem to budge myself on is the lack of X-plan pricing. I like to just walk in and pay a per-determined price. I might give my salseman that I bought my Titanium (which is getting a new transmission from Ford right now) from next spring and see if I can negotiate something, but for now it is still a no

·
Registered
146 Posts
Unfortunately, still yes. I played around with the configurator, and although it was finally nice to do so, it contained no new information and all the pictures in it were rendered, not taken from real cars. Adding to that the fact that they don't highlight the ST on the Ford homepage, just makes me feel like they finally got bothered enough to throw us a freakin' bone, albeit a welcomed one.

The other nail in the coffin that I can't seem to budge myself on is the lack of X-plan pricing. I like to just walk in and pay a per-determined price. I might give my salseman that I bought my Titanium (which is getting a new transmission from Ford right now) from next spring and see if I can negotiate something, but for now it is still a no
I work out of PDC in Dearborn Craig and I will say that u will be disappointed if u don't give the st a chance it's a beautiful car and I feel like you may end up kicking yourself if u don't think twice. Js

·
Registered
24 Posts
For the picture issue, I think that's more to do with the fact that a production model doesn't exist yet. And I would imagine the website will be updated more once the ST is on the lot. Ford has to be realistic, the ST is a very low volume model that will sell itself - casual buyers probably won't be the ones ordering a $26-$30k Focus. Having the fuel-efficient models on the home page will do much more for their bottom line. I think maybe you are being unnecessarily pessimistic here.

It definitely sucks that it doesn't fall under X-plan, but don't you think it's a bit unrealistic to expect for it to? The ST is not included because it's a very low volume car, and Ford doesn't sell enough of them to be able to make the profit they want while charging X-plan prices. It's the same reason that cars like the Shelby Mustang and the Focus S are not included - the margin/volume is very low already. I bet your dealer would work with you later on, though. Surely there will be incentives, just as there are with every other Ford.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts