Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced any SYNC glitches? Today I was trying to use the navigation and only half of the map was showing up....

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think a better question is "Has anyone not experienced any SYNC glitches" But the product you are talking about is MyFord Touch (MFT).

And yes, it's buggy for all of us.

Have you gotten the 3.5.1 update with the new SD card? It may help your specific issue.

·
Registered
894 Posts
The most frequent glitch I've found is that when I'm listening to the CD or XM, and the Navigation directions break in, the sound of the navigation is often fuzzy, and many times the word "proceed" (as in "Proceed on the highlighted route") is cut off, so it says, "Cede on the highlighted route").

Running 3.5.1 with the new card.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My navigation is off to the left by about 100 feet.
I'm always on the street to the left or in a field. Sometimes it surprises me and is on the correct street, but it's pretty rare..learning to live with it for now.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Wow, all these glitches that people are reporting are pretty disturbing. I've used the Sony Nav set up in my F150 for 3 years now and the only "glitch" i have is that some of the newer roads don't appear on the screen. I really think its a pretty good Nav unit for the most part. Disturbing that the same company is installing nav units that work more poorly than those they installed a few years ago in other vehicles.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I've got the new card and the update.

Here's what I'm dealing with.

View attachment 5323
I had the exact same problem a few weeks ago. Before I complained to the shop, I removed the Nav's USB card (while car was off.)Then started the car, waited for the MyTouch system to boot up, then reinserted the SD card. It then rebooted the nav sys. All was good-to-Go
The problem has not reoccured. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've used Ford's basic SYNC system in a 2010 Focus and it wasn't too bad but after owning my ST2 with navigation and using it a while I'm not warming to the MyFord Touch. I was willing to give it a try but unless they drastically improve performance and usability it's that last MFT system I'll buy in a Ford by choice. Makes me wish they did something like Chrysler and partner with Garmin for a simple, intuitive and basic system that works. And I can't imagine how bad it would be to live with some of the new Ford and Lincoln models that don't have a good, simple set of ancillary buttons and control for volume, tuning, and the HVAC (heating, ventilation, air conditioning) controls like the Focus.

Just tonight on my way home I tried to open and play an album from my iPod and had to resort to using the touch screen to navigate to the right one. Then when I tried playing the system hung with a browsing message until I switched sources again, spent another minute or two finding the album I wanted and then it worked and started playing. And for some reason the last couple days my phone that was working perfectly isn't synching automatically via Bluetooth and I have to manually go to the phone and pair with the car. And then there's the interface issues I keep running across like going into the sound adjustment settings and not having a button to go back to the previous screen, having another dialog box pop up when you try to change the repeat options when playing the iPod, no mute button on the steering wheel, too small buttons to hit easily without taking your eyes off the road for too long, no different EQ/sound settings on a per device/input basis, crude looking maps, navigation that overlays the route and makes it difficult to tell if there is a yellow or red overlay for slow traffic on your rout, no ability to customize the "star" buttons on the steering wheel in this version, no option to return to a specific screen on vehicle restart (navigation, entertainment, etc.) and instead the ugly looking default home screen, starting to type the name of a street address via the screen and the system is so slow to respond that you're it starts to auto-complete while you're still entering text and end up selecting the wrong item from a list you didn't expect to pop up, mileage that's off and lags between the MFT display and instrument display when over 10 miles but seems to sync perfectly and change at the same time when at 9.9 miles or under, and did I mention the buttons that are too small and slow to respond... Grrr...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did the same thing right after I posted this and worked like a charm haha. Hopefully the update that's suppose to come out in January will fix a few of the bugs.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the same half-map thing happen to me in my first long trip in the car just recently (still haven't broken 2000 km). I did a master reset and that seemed to "fix" it. I don't have the update yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Voice recognition is still only right about 50% of the time
The AC will always turn on in the MFT when you turn on the car regardless if you wanted it on or not (if the car is turned off with any portion of the climate control on)
Those are the biggest, most obvious problems but the whole system is full of more bugs than I've ever experienced in any electronic system or program.

Surprising, disappointing.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I posted the same half-map nav issue here, along with the easy fix I used. Other than this, I've had no real issues with MFT.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Maybe it's the cold temperatures, but on my drive home (-2 degrees F), I lost the ability to turn off the CD player, and lost the ability to switch to the radio or Sirius. Even when I turned off the car and opened the door, the CD player wouldn't turn off. I had to turn the car off and on, and start the engine again, to finally regain some control over the system.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Define "real issues". Because I consider a slow, unintuitive, and often buggy interface a real issue.
The half-map issue is the only bug I've encountered. There are some very minor issues, like about 2 minutes after starting the car there is a brief (less than 1/4 second) glitch/lag in playback, and I'm also unable to enter alpha characters for the WPA key/password when trying to connect MFT to my home network (but if it did connect there is nothing further to do, so no big deal). The MFT in my car is not slow and responds quickly, or at least as quickly as a resistive screen can (resistive touches take longer than capacitive touches). I do think it is bad design that from the home screen you must touch only the bar on the edges of the screen to select that quadrant...I think it would have been better to allow a touch anywhere inside the quadrant to select the quadrant. I love the voice commands and use them about 85% of the time instead of touching the screen. If there was a voice command to select a quadrant to display fullscreen, I would probably use voice commands 99% of the time. Beside the safety improvement while driving, using voice commands means less fingerprints on the display.

I also recently updated to MFT version 3.5.1 and have not had any new problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts