Ford Focus ST Forum banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the Ford Racing Tune installed. I had it done by my dealer for $196. That included the Intake (removing of front bumper..ect), ITV24 Cold Plugs, and Procal. If you do the math it is most dealers standard hourly rate. It should only take your dealer about 2-2.5 hours. No more.

If a dealer is jerking your chain, and tells you they can't install it because you did not buy it from them..move on. Find a dealer that can quote you for 2 hours or less.

Of course you can install yourself, but you will not be able to get the overlapped Ford Racing Warranty.

So, thoughts:

COST, before everyone says that the Ford Racing Performance Pack is very expensive. Well, lets be honest. No one is going to pay $800 for this kit. Because you have these choices.

if you purchase from: 2013-2014 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION, SPARK PLUGS AND COLD AIR INTAKE ($533 shipped)

2013-2014 FOCUS ST CALIBRATION WITH SPARK PLUGS -- M-14204-FST ($599 shipped)

You can also find group buys on ST Nation or .ORG that are selling for $472 + Shipping) So you do have options to get this tune at a must more affordable price than the MRSP of $800. If you are just looking for the Tune and plugs you can purchase for $433 shipped (Trueblue).

So if you look at it this way. For argument purposes, we will use the COBB intake as our intake.
Ford Racing PPCOBBSCT
FRPP Plugs/Tuner/Intake $533AP v3 $499*SCT X4 $399**
ITV24 $38*ITV24 $38*
Dealer Install $200***COBB Intake $299*COBB Intake $299*
Total Cost Dealer Installed: $733Total Cost: $826Total Cost $736
Variable cost***
*Parts Priced at Edge Autosport
**Parts Priced at Unleashed Tuning
Ford Racing Parts are priced from True Blue

Before I get crucified for making that table, lets be realistic. The Ford Racing Intake Piece counts as a real intake/mod. It actually taps into air coming from the front bumper. Also, I KNOW the COBB intake is a 3 inch pipe with a Green Filter & the Ford Racing one leaves the stock intake. But for a realistic depiction of cost per tune this makes most sense.

If you do not include the cost of dealer install the Ford Racing Performance Pack is $535 shipped to your door. If you consider the table above this is a fairly inexpensive for a tune that doesn't have a 3 inch intake or exhaust system attached it it.

But clearly, this can be the most cost effective tuning Solution.

THE DOWNSIDE:
It is a canned tune. If you are looking for SERIOUS engine power, this will probably get you to Stage 2ish. But, to be realistic, this tune NOT programmed for inter-cooler upgrade. It will probably be able to utilize a FMIC, but not to its full potential.

If you are OK with Stage 1, with no way to get programming for Stage 2 or Stage 3, then this is your tune.

Update: Lack of features such as...monitoring, logging...ect.

THE UPSIDE
  • Shift light gone
  • More responsive turbo
  • smoother engine idle
  • Flash back to stock when needed
  • 3 year - 36,000K limited warranty (if dealer installed)
  • least expensive tune available

The Car just feel ridiculous fast, almost useless in city driving. Its crazy how much faster I have to shift now. The turbo is just..there all the time.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I'll probably get a Dyno here soon. So stand-by for numbers. If you are curious, the mods to my car are listed in the signature.

I recommend this tune. Definitely worth it, and especially you DD that want to have some kind of warranty.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Awesome writeup! Thanks a lot.

I was thinking of going with the ford tune, but then I remembered that I'm already past 26k miles (maybe closer to 28-29k by the time I'm ready to tune) - so I'm not so sure it's worth my while to get it. Your positive review gives me pause tho.

My alternative is simply starting out with the Cobb AP. I may or may not get an intake with that.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks for that info Chad. Like you, I have both the FRPP CAI and the cp-e αIntake CAI, though I'm running the Cobb stage3-93 tune instead of the FRPP tune. I think this is the best setup possible, but before anyone says it, yes, you will notice your wallet is much lighter. Though the testing currently has only been published for stage1, in light of the FRPP claims regarding CAT temperatures from an unnamed competitor, it would also be a good idea to read this tech posting from Cobb regarding CAT temperatures if you have not done so already. If you mainly use the ST to commute and are very concerned about being covered by warranty, it seems like the FRPP kit with snorkel, plugs, filter, and tune is probably the best way to go. However, I don't believe that going with only the FRPP kit is any safer than my setup, and I personally never trust warranty coverage.

Please clarify something for me...does the full kit include the Procal device so you can flash between stock and tuned whenever you want, or does it only include the tune and you have to go back to the dealer to change the tune? If it includes the Procal device and the ability to flash the tune yourself, that makes it a better value, especially if you don't have any plans to add greatly increased power beyond stock.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for that info Chad. Like you, I have both the FRPP CAI and the cp-e αIntake CAI, though I'm running the Cobb stage3-93 tune instead of the FRPP tune. I think this is the best setup possible, but before anyone says it, yes, you will notice your wallet is much lighter. Though the testing currently has only been published for stage1, in light of the FRPP claims regarding CAT temperatures from an unnamed competitor, it would also be a good idea to read this tech posting from Cobb regarding CAT temperatures if you have not done so already. If you mainly use the ST to commute and are very concerned about being covered by warranty, it seems like the FRPP kit with snorkel, plugs, filter, and tune is probably the best way to go. However, I don't believe that going with only the FRPP kit is any safer than my setup, and I personally never trust warranty coverage.

Please clarify something for me...does the full kit include the Procal device so you can flash between stock and tuned whenever you want, or does it only include the tune and you have to go back to the dealer to change the tune? If it includes the Procal device and the ability to flash the tune yourself, that makes it a better value, especially if you don't have any plans to add greatly increased power beyond stock.
Yes, my thoughts exactly. You still run the same risks of blowing up or wearing your engine parts out faster with the FRPP. I would imagine, that if anything engine or transmission related goes wrong, and you go in to the dealer, they will immediately blame the Ford Racing Tune. So, there are risks involved, like allowing Ford to KNOW that your car is tuned. Some do have a problem with that. In general though it still is a "safer" way to go, if you are truly worried about warranty.

I have 1.75 years of warranty left and 18,000 miles on the clock . So this only makes sense to me. Plus I don't plan on going Stage 2 or 3 for another 2 years.

It comes with the tuning device (procal) so, it is just like having a AP or SCT.

Also, I never mentioned anything about this being a safer tune. Though thanks for sharing the COBB post. We'll assume, COBB did everything in their power to make those results look good, and Ford Racing did everything in their power to make any other tune look unsafe. :) Fear does play a role in marketing; everyday, and everywhere.

Reactions: Unreal

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Thanks for the follow-up Chad. Glad to see the Procal device is included in the kit.

Reactions: Chad

·
Registered
135 Posts
Awesome summary. Looking forward to dyno results.

Can anyone point me in the direction of these group buys? I have looked and come across nothing.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Awesome summary. Looking forward to dyno results.

Can anyone point me in the direction of these group buys? I have looked and come across nothing.

Thank you. On FocusST.org they had a GB, but its now done. Best bet now is to purchase via True Blue.

The Dyno will occur next Friday.

Reactions: smokinhot

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm looking forward to seeing these numbers. I just got my ST yesterday with 19miles, and now has 260 lol. I had a little commute to get it. I plan on hanging onto the warranty for a bit, so this seems to be the route I'm going to take. You have the components I'm looking to see the results with, except I plan on going with Vortech's new intercooler. It should compliment everything nicely.

Please include whether its a dynojet or mustang dyno ;)

·
Registered
354 Posts
I have 1.75 years of warranty left and 18,000 miles on the clock . So this only makes sense to me. Plus I don't plan on going Stage 2 or 3 for another 2 years.
You do realize the warranty on your powertrain is 5 years or 60,000 miles.

The 3/36 is for everything else.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Chad, good to know about the shift light. Let me know what your MPG difference is. I'd like to do this, but since I DD more than race MPG is important to me.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a 2012 GT500 with a Ford Racing 750HP kit installed. The Procal it came with is about useless other than going back and forth from Stock and the Cal for your car for the kit and it does allow for axle ratio changes so on my GT500 I bought a SCT tuner and a J Lund tune to make other changes. I would guess that would be the same for the Focus ST’s so that is why I went to a AccessPort. I do not know how may others have this type of past experience so just so you guys know.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Once you install a FRPP tune it drops to 3/36.

Sent from my Galaxy S3.
That is not really true. FRPP will cover any failures during the 3/36 portion of your warranty that can be attributed to the tune. Otherwise your warranty stays intact including the 5/60 powertrain portion. The real question is how hard will Ford try and blame any powertrain failure during the 5/60 portion.

If you register the FRPP tune Ford will know you have it where as they won't with an aftermarket unless the dealer does some serious diagnostics to determine if the ecu had been flashed. Dealers are not motivated to deny warranty claims so unless pushed by Ford they aren't going to go looking for signs of a flash.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Chad, I ordered my FRPP tune, but I'm having some second thoughts. I think it's just right for me in terms of performance and warranty (my ST3 only has 1,000 mi), but I really like the symposer and am wondering if it just goes away or what? How does yours sound?

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Since I have a aftermarket intake, downpipe, and exhaust; I do not hear it much. So I cannot comment on how it sounds now. Sorry. :(

I am most likely going to do a Symposer Delete in a few weeks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had the FRPP put in by my local dealer a week or so ago. Good increase in power, shift light gone and I did not notice anything different with the sound symposer as I have a Ford Racing cat back exhaust and under power it over powers the sound symposer noise. One thing, I noticed a slight smell of raw gas when I was stopped at trafic lights. Investigated when I got home and found I could smell it on top of the engine but no where else. Looked at the high pressure side of the fuel pump and fuel rail, no leak. Looked at the back of the engine where the incoming low pressure fuel line is, no leak. Took it to the dealer and they could not find any leaks but smelled the same thing. Come to find out the spark plugs were loose. I guess they did not torque them properly when they installed the tune and plugs. No noise from them, but some compression gasses leaking out. I was not at all sure this was not a bunch of crap, but when I got home the smell was gone. I saw some threads in the forum about others with a fuel smell in the HVAC, but not able to find a fuel leak.I am going to watch this as it may or may not be an issue with these engines. Just putting the info forward as dumb as it sounds as there may be something here.

·
Registered
46 Posts
When I got my FRPP "M-6066-MSVT29PD" kit for my GT500, I had to send them my VIN number to get the Pro Cal sent to me. I was even offered a "By Back" refund for the Pro Cal if I returned it to FRPP. I am pretty sure Ford knows I installed the tune but I did not get the FRPP kit or tune for my Focus ST so I do not know if they require the same information. I read in a post that members are going to do a Sound Symposer delete and I wonder if they know that the Access Port will program it out for them?
Yet another reason to get the Access Port. The Pro Cal is NOT like having a SCT or Access Port as I have all of them and know what they can and cannot do. I just want to make sure members look into and understand the differences before they spend their monies.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Since I have a aftermarket intake, downpipe, and exhaust; I do not hear it much. So I cannot comment on how it sounds now. Sorry. :(

I am most likely going to do a Symposer Delete in a few weeks.
Thanks for answering. Really appreciate it. Sounds like you already deleted it! JP

1 - 20 of 98 Posts