Ford Focus ST Forum banner
61 - 80 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Cool, so I assume same goes for COBB since they too use the stock cold air feeds, right?
Since Cobb leaves the stock air box yeah, it should also be a complimentary modification, as well as the cold tube for the Mountune, or the FSWerks tube only.

Cobb kit

FSwerks crossover tube only with Cobb Green Filter

STEEDA's crossover pipe, although not the replacement intake box.

Mountune's intake kit.

Basically any of the intake pipe replacement only would also work with the cold air feeds.

·
Registered
903 Posts
I added just the green filter, but mine is capped. I'm debating on if this is enough for the FRPP tune. I think it might be. I know if I remove the cap it defiantly is.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Keep in mind: The FRPP CAI tune is a "canned tune" designed to be added to a stock ST. This tune will not change engine management parameters for other mods. The beauty of this mod is that it will give you a big performance boost while still covering you with a warranty. In fact, it's undoubtedly the single biggest performance boost of any mod short of a larger turbo. Far more than intercooler upgrade, or performance exhaust, or a downpipe. FAR MORE. If you do a CAI, FMIC and Turboback; AND, you tune for THAT configuration, you'll get even more power. And blow your warranty. JP

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chad, I was just thinking about your comment, "It took a few pulls to get it right. It snowed here a few days ago so my tires were not warm, and were wet. The first couple of pulls were a wash because of wheel slip. Once they heated up and were dry, we then started to get good readings." Besides warming up your tires, you probably warmed up your intercooler as well. I've noticed on most dyno runs on the ST, the later runs invariably show a power drop off as the intercooler soaks up heat. Any clues on the 2800 rpm dip yet? Can you feel it? JP

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've been studying the charts a little more. It's curious that between 5,000 and 6,000 RPM the stock tune is putting out more torque and more horsepower than the FRPP tune. The Ford Racing charts don't show that. Admittedly the FR chart looks to have way more smoothing, but it should still show that big of a difference. I'm wondering if that could be related to the suspected boost leak. I'm also wondering if the big intercooler is messing with the tune. Thoughts? I'm scheduled to have mine done on Tuesday. Unfortunately, there isn't a dyno within 300 miles (I know...WTF), so I won't be able to show a comparison to my stock ST. Anybody know of a dyno around Spokane, WA? JP

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Keep in mind: The FRPP CAI tune is a "canned tune" designed to be added to a stock ST. This tune will not change engine management parameters for other mods. The beauty of this mod is that it will give you a big performance boost while still covering you with a warranty. In fact, it's undoubtedly the single biggest performance boost of any mod short of a larger turbo. Far more than intercooler upgrade, or performance exhaust, or a downpipe. FAR MORE. If you do a CAI, FMIC and Turboback; AND, you tune for THAT configuration, you'll get even more power. And blow your warranty. JP
I disagree. I think you can add stage 3 and be ok with this tune. I think I will go to stage 3 in the fall after the autocross season.

Chad, I was just thinking about your comment, "It took a few pulls to get it right. It snowed here a few days ago so my tires were not warm, and were wet. The first couple of pulls were a wash because of wheel slip. Once they heated up and were dry, we then started to get good readings." Besides warming up your tires, you probably warmed up your intercooler as well. I've noticed on most dyno runs on the ST, the later runs invariably show a power drop off as the intercooler soaks up heat. Any clues on the 2800 rpm dip yet? Can you feel it? JP
i can't feel it. But the dyno can. I'll track it down soon.

I've been studying the charts a little more. It's curious that between 5,000 and 6,000 RPM the stock tune is putting out more torque and more horsepower than the FRPP tune. The Ford Racing charts don't show that. Admittedly the FR chart looks to have way more smoothing, but it should still show that big of a difference. I'm wondering if that could be related to the suspected boost leak. I'm also wondering if the big intercooler is messing with the tune. Thoughts? I'm scheduled to have mine done on Tuesday. Unfortunately, there isn't a dyno within 300 miles (I know...WTF), so I won't be able to show a comparison to my stock ST. Anybody know of a dyno around Spokane, WA? JP
If anything a bigger intercooler should help. The power dip at 4800 rpm's is most likely due to catalysis protection.

Good of luck man. It's a great tune, and obviously creates a ton of power & torque over stock.

I added just the green filter, but mine is capped. I'm debating on if this is enough for the FRPP tune. I think it might be. I know if I remove the cap it defiantly is.
It is probably is fine. There could be a little loss of power.

All these engine mods and no TUNER???? I was reading on some sights and after the Down Pipe install, they noticed a richer fuel condition and I would think that you have far more mods done on the Factory Tune. It cannot be your warranty since most dealers would have it cancelled if you had a engine problem with all of those mods done. Also, in your MOD's you state that you have a "CP-E™ αIntake™ Intake System". Are you removing it for the FORD system?
Curious to this as well.
No. All of those mods are installed. Most likely a intake and exhaust will not void your warranty.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chad, Thanks for the feedback. I've been looking at dyno charts all day. Saw one over at the Forum and thought, "Geez, that looks just like Chad's." Sure 'nuff!

Can't tell you how helpful your work has been. You're probably right about the intercooler. About the only thing it should effect negatively, if anything, is the throttle response. I've just always been suspicious of messing about with fluid dynamics. Some of the "cans" on the ends of aftermarket FMIC's definitely don't look like they've been the subject of turbulence model analysis. But you're probably right. I tend to overanalyze these things. Wednesday I should be able to let you know how the tune went. Thanks again for clearing the trail. JP

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chad, looking at those graphs it looks like it falls back to stock @5k RPM.

Do you feel that? Does it affect your acceleration any?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Why does it seem hard for this little guy to make power higher up in the band? Is the stock turbo stretching it's limits that much?
Turbo isn't the problem. It's heat soak, you can shed the heat fast enough, if you kept power high you'd burn out things like the catalytic converter due to excessive heat soak.

Or at least that's what I've read.

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, essentially, an intercooler upgrade would be good. You might see a little gain with the FRPP tune but not as much as you would as having it tuned in with the APv3. I still like the potential that the FRPP does and because I can keep a warranty lol.

Thanks CHAD, hope your enjoying the setup ;)

·
Registered
903 Posts
So, essentially, an intercooler upgrade would be good. You might see a little gain with the FRPP tune but not as much as you would as having it tuned in with the APv3. I still like the potential that the FRPP does and because I can keep a warranty lol.

Intercooler only does so much, at some point running at max boost for a long time will overheat the exhaust. You'd need to upgrade to a more durable exhaust system. Then you can ignore the heat soak.

·
Registered
36 Posts

Here's an interesting quote from Randy at FSWerks: Upgraded intercooler tune? - Page 3

He states that you can expect 5-10 WHP and 5-10 WTQ from a FMIC, AND a relevant tune. It appears that there's simply an inherent physical limit here. And, as Chad said, it's probably catalysis protection. An aftermarket FMIC appears to be a very mild mod in the sense of a power boost. But, if you're racing, not only can 5-10 be the difference between winning or losing; it can be a necessary method of protecting your motor. If you're a DD that just wants to toast that zit-faced kid in the rice burner next to you, you're probably better off with your warranty and the FRPP. I'm biased. Mine get's done tomorrow. JP

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
I guess my point here with my Dyno graphs is you don't necessarily need a AP/SCT to 'unlock' the true power of the car. If anything the FRPP does the same, if not better than other tunes. If you compare my run v Ford's run, I hold more torque longer before the car goes into protection mode. If it wasn't for catalyst protection, my dyno run may look more complete.

It maybe that other tuners are doing different things to keep the car from going into protection mode. We'll never know I guess. Other than what Ford Racing said in their initial release. http://fordstnation.com/2013-sema-coverage/7487-ford-racing-tune-3.html#post100683

To each his own on who and what they want. But clearly you can get substantial gains on the FRPP. I am almost Stage III as well (like stage 2.5 without intercooler).

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think this is very important. Who do you suppose that orange line represents? This is an example of the kind of information that makes STNation such a valuable resource. JP

·
Registered
903 Posts
FI creates lots and lots of heat. That's what happens when you compress gas temperature goes up (assuming constant volume).

Intercoolers lower inlet temperature, getting you a more "economical" fuel burn than increased pressure alone. Because basically your engine is an air pump, the more air you can stuff in it (so higher pressure as volume is constant) the less fuel you have to burn to create the same amount of power. This is why the old adage "There is no replacement for displacement" was created as making volume was easier than boost previously. Plus boost introduces a lot of temperature and volumetric flow variables (and characteristics) that naturally aspirated engines don't deal with.

The cat delete on the exhaust end doesn't solve the heat problem, it just removes the weakest link. You could get a higher performing catalyst (at significant cost) or find a way to run at lower temps.

Since energy can not be created or destroyed, any energy that is released as heat is "wasted" energy that you are not using to power the car. Lowering intake temp, and then figuring out how to lower exhaust temp allows your engine to keep more energy "inside" and therefore increases your power and efficiencies, which is ideal.

·
Registered
36 Posts
So, again a good exhaust with cat delete, intake, and intercooler and it would help cool it down lol.

I'm a newbie to F/I... lol
Add a tune to that recipe and you'll really have something. But, unless you're going racing, that FMIC will likely be the most expensive 5 hp you'll ever buy. With the exhaust being a close second. The FRPP, on the other hand, is just about the least expensive power for the buck. Best, JP

·
Registered
48 Posts
Chad, and anyone else who has the Ford Racing tuner
Looks like you can buy just the FR tuner or the tuner and intake and also a power package that includes a FR exhaust. Does the tuner come with only 1 tune or is there a couple tunes to install depending if you buy the exhaust and intake or not? just curious

61 - 80 of 98 Posts