Ford Focus ST Forum banner
81 - 98 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
417 Posts
I already have a procal tool....I wonder if Ford Racing would just sell me the SD card with the tune on it and the plugs? Hmmmmm....This requires further investigstion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Chad, and anyone else who has the Ford Racing tuner
Looks like you can buy just the FR tuner or the tuner and intake and also a power package that includes a FR exhaust. Does the tuner come with only 1 tune or is there a couple tunes to install depending if you buy the exhaust and intake or not? just curious
The CAI is integral to the tune. Ford says that AM cat back exhausts don't produce statistically significant power increases and, as such, do not alter the tune. JP

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
So the question of the day is: What does the FRPP Tune do for 0-60 times?

Reactions: smokinhot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Got my FRPP installed today. Bone stock 2014 Tux Black ST3 with less than a 1,000 miles. I can't overstate how pleased I am. It's just so perfect. It's as if this is what the engineers had intended, but the lawyers said they had to tone it down. It's quiet. It's silky smooth. And it's just viciously fast. What a car. JP

·
Registered
48 Posts
Got my FRPP installed today. Bone stock 2014 Tux Black ST3 with less than a 1,000 miles. I can't overstate how pleased I am. It's just so perfect. It's as if this is what the engineers had intended, but the lawyers said they had to tone it down. It's quiet. It's silky smooth. And it's just viciously fast. What a car. JP
You and Chad have me completely sold. Im buying this as soon as possible. Most sites are back ordered until april 19th though, Ford Racing has it in stock but its much more expensive. Might just wait it out for a month when TruBlue get em in stock.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Iaminea, Go to your Grandmother's house during her nap time, steal her jewelry and pawn it. Take that money and buy the FRPP. Hey, life has tradeoffs. JP

·
Registered
36 Posts
So the question of the day is: What does the FRPP Tune do for 0-60 times?
As you probably know, 0-60 times aren't consistent. Nor should they be. But, a pretty good average would be 6 flat. The FRPP CAI might get you .2 or .3 sec. BUT, remember, what caps the ST 0-60 is not power. It's traction. More gains come in the 30-90mph area. Motortrend said the ST would do 30-90 in 10.2 sec. That's .3 faster than the 2015 WRX. My informed opinion: you can put that WRX .5 sec. further behind with the CAI tune. JP

·
Registered
903 Posts
I think this tune would do much better in 1st with an LSD and some sticky tires.

I think I need to add an LSD to my list before the tune.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think this tune would do much better in 1st with an LSD and some sticky tires.

I think I need to add an LSD to my list before the tune.
Yeah, you just need to have a clear idea of how you want to use your car. I chose the ST because I cover a lot of miles on two-lane country roads where passing slower cars is necessary every couple of minutes. The ST is perfect for that. You may know more about the LSD than I, but I'm not sure it would boost your speed in a straight line. The sticky tires would, but stock F1's are no slouch. You can check out You Tube and see a '13 ST with slicks on the quarter mile. That thing really hooks up. Let me know if you get some stats on what a Quaife can do for 0-something times. JP

·
Registered
903 Posts
Yeah, you just need to have a clear idea of how you want to use your car. I chose the ST because I cover a lot of miles on two-lane country roads where passing slower cars is necessary every couple of minutes. The ST is perfect for that. You may know more about the LSD than I, but I'm not sure it would boost your speed in a straight line. The sticky tires would, but stock F1's are no slouch. You can check out You Tube and see a '13 ST with slicks on the quarter mile. That thing really hooks up. Let me know if you get some stats on what a Quaife can do for 0-something times. JP
Logic dictates that the LSD will help, is the help worth $1k + Install, that's the question (answer is more than likely not). However the Quaife LSD was used in the MK1 and MK2 Focus RS, and was an option on the US SVT. So clearly there is a reason for it. As far as the ST not having it stock, I can think of only one reason, cost. It would be a $750-$1k option, and if included standard it would have raised the price. But the current open diff with brake based torque vectoring isn't doing anything to help wheel slip in 1st gear under hard launches.

Also the F1's are not that good next to a pair of Michelin Super Sports.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Logic dictates that the LSD will help, is the help worth $1k + Install, that's the question (answer is more than likely not). However the Quaife LSD was used in the MK1 and MK2 Focus RS, and was an option on the US SVT. So clearly there is a reason for it. As far as the ST not having it stock, I can think of only one reason, cost. It would be a $750-$1k option, and if included standard it would have raised the price. But the current open diff with brake based torque vectoring isn't doing anything to help wheel slip in 1st gear under hard launches.

Also the F1's are not that good next to a pair of Michelin Super Sports.
Absolutely right about the F1's v. SS's (or Pilots, for that matter), but I wasn't saying F1's are the best tires, just that they're "no slouches". I know why they put the LSD on the cars you mentioned. They did it so they'd corner better. Now you may be right that they also add some straight-line traction. That's why I asked if you had some stats. From my understanding, if you want a better racer, the LSD is a bargain. But if you're buying it to get better inline acceleration; well, I think you're right, it's no bargain at all. There's a number of guys hear with Quaifes. If I'm wrong about the straight line acceleration, maybe one will chime in. JP

·
Registered
903 Posts
Absolutely right about the F1's v. SS's (or Pilots, for that matter), but I wasn't saying F1's are the best tires, just that they're "no slouches". I know why they put the LSD on the cars you mentioned. They did it so they'd corner better. Now you may be right that they also add some straight-line traction. That's why I asked if you had some stats. From my understanding, if you want a better racer, the LSD is a bargain. But if you're buying it to get better inline acceleration; well, I think you're right, it's no bargain at all. There's a number of guys hear with Quaifes. If I'm wrong about the straight line acceleration, maybe one will chime in. JP
I think for the LSD to be truly effective in a straight line you'd also need the RevoKnuckle. But there is no question that the mechanicals up front (drive line and suspension) are a huge part of the problem when large amounts of power need to be put down.

Obviously the option of a RevoKnuckle is dependent on the future. If there is an RS, will it use it? If it does, will it mount into our cars? If so what else do you have to swap (new knuckles, control arms, etc?)

I personally don't think the LSD from a dollar perspective is helping the straight line, but does it do something absolutely. Honestly what FRPP is putting down, is near what I think is the limit on a FWD car without trick suspensions or upgrading to AWD. Torque steer has to be murderous and wheel hop\slip can get out of control real quick I'd gather. The 1-2 shift has to be a killer as well.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I think for the LSD to be truly effective in a straight line you'd also need the RevoKnuckle. But there is no question that the mechanicals up front (drive line and suspension) are a huge part of the problem when large amounts of power need to be put down.

Obviously the option of a RevoKnuckle is dependent on the future. If there is an RS, will it use it? If it does, will it mount into our cars? If so what else do you have to swap (new knuckles, control arms, etc?)

I personally don't think the LSD from a dollar perspective is helping the straight line, but does it do something absolutely. Honestly what FRPP is putting down, is near what I think is the limit on a FWD car without trick suspensions or upgrading to AWD. Torque steer has to be murderous and wheel hop\slip can get out of control real quick I'd gather. The 1-2 shift has to be a killer as well.
I completely concur with your excellent analysis. I can't speak for more talented drivers than I, but the FRPP CAI tune puts this car pretty close to my limit. That being said, I could hardly be more impressed with how well sorted the ST is with the FRPP. It doesn't feel like an "add-on". It's a seamlessly integrated factory upgrade. Would I give one to my sixteen year old for a birthday present? Oh No. Do I absolutely love the shit out of it? Oh yeah. JP

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had my FRPP kit installed at the dealer yesterday. 1 1/2 hours. The first one the mechanic did was his own ST and it took about 2 hours.
He did a couple after that and the time is less. I waited while he did the installation and was surprised when he said he was done.
They made it convenient by doing the work on a Saturday.
I would definitely recommend Park Ford service department

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys I know I'm 3-4 years behind, but I'm looking to get the FRPP and was wondering if you had any issues since you installed it a few years ago. I've done plenty of lurking in my days and this thread is so good that I decided to create a profile, thanks guys and best of luck.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Only issue I have is too much torque in winter lol. It’s a solid tune.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

81 - 98 of 98 Posts