Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've installed the COOL-FLO intake with green-filter and I'm really enjoying it - Not going to make any claims about increased power but there does seem to slightly better throttle response although I'm sure this is all down to the "go-faster" noises I can hear which brings me to....

I'm hearing a fluttering sound at low-rpm with slight lift-off - I assumed that was to be expected but I've looked in a couple of other places and the word is that this is not good on the turbo. I can understand this being bad if you hear this at high boost but with no boost pressure should I be worried? I do get a nice wooosh sound at higher engine load/boost, no flutter.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Yeah, the flutter at light throttle is normal, but it is also an annoying sound. As shown in the Cobb v106 map notes, the maps were modified to resolve problems with "bypass valve recycling at partial throttle". Despite that, it still seems to be happening with the Cobb tune. Can't tell from the OP post whether they have the FSWerks tune, or just the intake. FWIW, I have the cp-e intake and have the flutter sound, so it is definitely not unique to the FSWerks intake. In fact, I first noticed the flutter sound when I put in the Green Filter with the stock intake.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I do indeed have the Cobb v106 tune (Stage-1 91) - I bought the AP from FSWorks and have the original (maybe old) 91 tune from them. Do anyone know if I need to request a new map when using the intake?

On another note I've noticed the dreaded rev-hunting issue at idle (high then nearly stalls). I think I'm going to resplice the harness as per the TSB but I was wondering if this might be more of a tune issue?

·
Registered
90 Posts
I do indeed have the Cobb v106 tune (Stage-1 91) - I bought the AP from FSWorks and have the original (maybe old) 91 tune from them. Do anyone know if I need to request a new map when using the intake?

On another note I've noticed the dreaded rev-hunting issue at idle (high then nearly stalls). I think I'm going to resplice the harness as per the TSB but I was wondering if this might be more of a tune issue?
You shouldn't need a new tune for the intake, so long as that's all that's been changed.

That's a good idea. The TSB should take care of it. Tune (unless corrupted, but then the car shouldn't even run!) has nothing to do with idle.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys,

Did the TSB and reset the ECU last night - Haven't had chance to drive her yet. Just to theorise - if I've installed the CAI incorrectly and there was a small air-leak further down the piping from the MAP sensor could this cause rev-hunting?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks guys,

Did the TSB and reset the ECU last night - Haven't had chance to drive her yet. Just to theorise - if I've installed the CAI incorrectly and there was a small air-leak further down the piping from the MAP sensor could this cause rev-hunting?
If there were an air leak, assuming its great enough, you would definitely set a code and have a check engine light.
Rev hunting, if I read the posts correctly, sounds more like an electrical problem versus a mechanical one.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts