Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Not that I've found. Wondering if a locking gas cap will work with the capless filling system?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wait a sec, are you saying that the door does not lock when the rest of the car doors and the hatch are centrally locked ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wait a sec, are you saying that the door does not lock when the rest of the car doors and the hatch are centrally locked ?

Ok. Just googled and answer my own question... Pretty stupid from Ford to not include it...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't mean to be flippant...but is this a concern? People getting in to your gas tank? I guess I've never been paranoid about this.
I've seen this many times growing up. People key cars for no reason every day? Yes it is a big concern, a little sugar will toast your engine.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yeah, I mean, I know what can happen. I suppose I never worried about it enough. I'm always annoyed when I get out of a rental and find I can't just open the fuel door, but that's because I've always owned cars that didn't have to have them popped/unlocked/what have you.

·
Registered
256 Posts
As it turns out, my wife's car (Jetta Sportwagen ) got keyed last night, together with 7 other cars in our community. Police rang me out of bed at 6:30 this morning.

I don't think it has anything to do with (borderline) paranoia to expect the access the fuel tank to be restricted. It is a question of opportunity more than anything else.
Having $10 lying on the seat will not likely cause someone to break the window but having the door unlocked might cause it to disappear fairly easy.
We had stuff stolen in our area from cars in the past. None were broken into though, they just went with the ones that were unlocked.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As it turns out, my wife's car (Jetta Sportwagen ) got keyed last night, together with 7 other cars in our community. Police rang me out of bed at 6:30 this morning.

I don't think it has anything to do with (borderline) paranoia to expect the access the fuel tank to be restricted. It is a question of opportunity more than anything else.
Having $10 lying on the seat will not likely cause someone to break the window but having the door unlocked might cause it to disappear fairly easy.
We had stuff stolen in our area from cars in the past. None were broken into though, they just went with the ones that were unlocked.

What spineless f**kers to go after a vehicle because they are too big of P*ssy to go after the owner. Sorry I run tugboats, it's a little crass at work.

·
Registered
862 Posts
+1, you can't just go and push the little flap down to allow access to the tank.
This is true. Someone would simply move on after trying to gain access to a '12 or later Focus fuel filler. I was curious of this over a year ago and played with it, not as easy as you'd think.

Reactions: Grabber523

·
Registered
650 Posts

Sorry to hear man. A friend of mine in Middletown had a bunch of break-ins in his complex too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The capless system actually has two flaps for security, the top one we see plus a second one further down. This is why we (in Aus anyway) are given a funnel with the car to use if one has to fill the car from a fuel container. Even with locking fuel doors I regularly see cars that have had them torn off so it seems that only slow people down ;).

·
Registered
922 Posts
I don't mean to be flippant...but is this a concern? People getting in to your gas tank? I guess I've never been paranoid about this.
Well, back in high school, someone put dirt in my gas tank at a party in order to kick the ass of some guy who'd ridden with me there...

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I have to admit it bothers me a little as my VW had locking door. However I suppose Ford isn't because they feel their capless system fills the need of preventing someone from siphoning your fuel and its a money saver not to have two things on the car to prevent the same thing.

Sent from the jPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 46 Posts