Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Added the following entry to the first post of my build thread. You can access the new entry directly using this link, or just read it below.

26-May-2015: Not very long ago I was considering changing up the look of my ST, and my first thought was to change to 5-spoke wheels. After further consideration, I decided to keep my Team Dynamics Pro Race 1.2 wheels, but still change the look. The first step was to replace the black lug nuts with gold ones.

I like how the gold lug nuts look, but wanted something more, so I contacted Dan at Velossa Tech about creating some unique wheel center caps. I described what I wanted and sent him a high resolution picture of my avatar that I wanted on the caps. Dan did a couple of CAD drawings for me to review.

I wanted to see a gold logo on a black background and Dan quickly sent a new CAD drawing.

The third CAD drawing was my preference. I sent Dan one of my Team Dynamics center caps so he could take fitment measurements and create some prototype caps. He actually sent me three numbered prototype caps of slightly different sizes. I installed each one, took pictures, and noted which one fit best. I asked Dan to make some changes, like shortening the length of the screws, and moving the screws further from the edge of the cap. We also discussed the height of the cap, the height of the logo above the cap, and epoxy coatings. Dan took all of the feedback and created a fourth prototype cap. Here is a profile shot of that cap...

He also changed the connection tabs on the back of the cap so the metal clip was no longer needed. Here is a comparison of the clips on the original Team Dynamics cap (right) and the fourth prototype cap (left).

This prototype fit great and looked great, but I suggested a few minor changes. Dan took this feedback and created the final center caps. They are packaged great in a sturdy cardboard tube...

...stuffed with peanuts...

...and tucked into bubble wrap...

Here are the final wheel center caps. They turned out fantastic!

Here are a few pictures of the caps installed on Belle.

Side view...

Front wheel...

Rear wheel...

Wheel close up...

I am very happy with my one-of-a-kind center caps! I also want to mention during this whole development process, Dan was very patient, responded to all of my queries quickly, and was very easy to work with. I'm looking forward to seeing what interesting new ideas other people have for their center caps, or any other Velossa Tech projects for that matter. Their web page is still a work in progress, but since it should be up soon, here is the link.

Velossa Tech Engineering

·
Registered
700 Posts
Where did you get the gold lug nuts?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
1 - 3 of 3 Posts