Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the ST3 is going to come with the garage door opener on the visor? It wasn't mentioned in the options list. The current SELs get it with the overhead console so I'm wondering if it was just overlooked in the ST specs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. If you build and price the new fusion it says "Moonroof with Universal Garage Door Opener" but for the focus st it's just says power moonroof.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
My titanium has one.

I'm likely to find a visor with the fob and make the modification.

·
4,009 Posts
Oh good, you can guide us through it.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I did it on my eclipse and it was really easy. Can't be too much different on here. But if/when I do it i'll definitely take pictures of everything along the way.

·
4,009 Posts
Routing the power supply is the trick.

·
4,009 Posts
Sounds Good. Now all we need to do is find a source for the visor with the built in remote.

I also have it on my Titanium and was disappointed to see it wasn't an option on the ST

·
Registered
617 Posts
As long as headliner is same color, i may ask my dealer to swap my Ti mirror into he ST when i trade it in as part of the deal.

·
Registered
29 Posts
A lot of people do not want to live without Homelink. Now, Ford lists the Gentex Homelink mirror as an accessory for Focus and other Fords, BUT not for cars equipped with SYNC. Probably since the Gentex mirror does not have a microphone like the original Ford SYNC mirror. If this same microphone is part of bluetooth phone, well, that would be a bummer for people wanting to make the swap. If not, and it's just a microphone for SYNC commands, some (including me) could easily live without SYNC if they could end up with Homelink instead.

An alternative might be if the Fusion sunroof console is "swapable" into the Focus ST, people with sunroofs could end up with Homelink via the Fusion sunroof console.

We'll have to wait until cars start being delivered and the people start coming up with solutions.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was driving a new Chrysler 200 with a homelink and noticed that it was similar in shape to what was shown in the Ford parts. It was also black. I bet Ford and Chrysler source them from the same supplier. The module would likely slip right into a cut in the visor. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a void area in the visor already. Fish the connector through to some power and bingo, at least that's the concept.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Homelink is a division of Johnson Controls. All Homelink "parts" used by manufacturers come from authorized Homelink suppliers, or, possibly from Johnson Controls itself. So, the supply sources are fairly limited. Most likely, Ford, Chrysler, GM, and everyone else building cars in the U.S. is getting Homelink components from only a small number of Homelink suppliers.

Historically, the problem "retrofitting" Homelink has been neatly fitting the cannibalized parts into the new car. A Chrysler part has not easily fit into a Ford. The "trick" has been to fit the non-Ford parts into the Ford so it looks like Ford did it.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I'll be replacing the mirror with an auto-dimming mirror. I dont know if I'll get the higher end homelink version but maybe. I love having the auto-dimming mirror for night driving.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't know how accurate this is, but Edmunds lists an electrochromatic rear view mirror in its ST specs. This is a fancy name for auto-dimming. So, maybe the ST has an auto-dimming mirror as standard.

If not, the potential "rub" with removing the stock mirror is that the stock mirror has the SYNC microphone built into it. I'm not sure if this extends to bluetooth or if there's a separate bluetooth mic. But, removing the stock mirror might kill bluetooth.

It would be really great if Mito would intro a mirror with auto-dimming, homelink and a built-in microphone in the next few months. Or, if Ford would make a homelink transmitter an easily installed option.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was driving a new Chrysler 200 with a homelink and noticed that it was similar in shape to what was shown in the Ford parts. It was also black. I bet Ford and Chrysler source them from the same supplier. The module would likely slip right into a cut in the visor. I wouldn't be surprised if there isn't a void area in the visor already. Fish the connector through to some power and bingo, at least that's the concept.
This should show the "void area".

http://www.raptorforumz.com/showthread.php?t=13814

1 - 20 of 28 Posts