Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

How smooth is your ST when you change gears? I'm finding that it can sometimes be difficult for the gears to mesh into place - definite two stage engage - push resistance then push some more and it goes into gear. I'm not doing anything stupid like 5th to 1st - just city driving going up and down (happens both ways) not exceding 3000 rpm and generally changing at 2000.

The other thing is that some days it smooth and other days it's a real dog? Should I get it looked at by the dealer you think or am I being too sensitve :rolleyes: :). ST has about 1000 miles on it and *may* be getting worse.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Always the same for me, pauses in neutral and then pops into gear. It's due to the shift counter weight and centering springs.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I have the same experience as the OP. I've driven manual transmissions for the past 22 years. This one does seem to have the occasional "obstinant" moment, usually on a downshift into 2nd. I don't think of it as a real problem, however, just a characteristic of the car. I installed the Steeda short shifter bracket. That has accentuated the issue when it occurs, because there is less leverage to get the car in gear, but it has also made the transmission feel much less "loose" to me, which is a huge benefit.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Mine seems quite smooth actually, nothing like my old Saab. Always feels the same at least. Even the difference between 20 degree and 65 degree days is almost null. I've had issues with how long the throws are, but never had a problem with engaging.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mine seems quite smooth actually, nothing like my old Saab. Always feels the same at least. Even the difference between 20 degree and 65 degree days is almost null. I've had issues with how long the throws are, but never had a problem with engaging.
Yeah, that is one thing I like. The MTX75 in my ZX3 would not go into second unless I double-clutched, prayed, and did a dance when it was below freezing out even with the Ford fluid. The T5 in the XR I have to let warm up before driving it or it will grind bad going into 2nd and 3rd even double clutching below 40*.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts