Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to ask whether anyone is thinking about taking their ST to a local track day and if so, what kinds of modifications are you going to make?

There are a decent number of parts for current gen Foci including CAI's, tunes, brakes ets but I'm not sure which of those will work for the ST.

·
Registered
753 Posts
I won't be taking mine the track anytime soon, especially since by the time I end up getting it we'll probably be only a week away from snow :) But I plan on keeping mine as a DD and I'm going to try and not do anything that voids the warranty. I have my Mustang to play with if I want to.

·
Registered
534 Posts
I'll be taking mine out. I would imagine out of the box it is a good starting point. Fresh brake fluid and a more aggressive pad later if needed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
i get track tires for it but thats about it for track modification, it will be my daily driver so i don't want to mess with the set up

·
Registered
283 Posts
I would track the car as is until you figure out your driving weaknesses, improve upon yourself first then add things to the car. Not everybody is Tanner Foust.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What about modifications designed to protect the car? I've got some friends who currently track their cars and they suggest at minimum swapping out the brake pads with high performance ones, otherwise you will wear them out very quickly. They also suggest getting track tires to protect the tread on your street tires, but since the ST comes with Eagle F1 A2's and I was already planning to get some winter tires, I'd rather not spend an additional $800+ on a 3rd set of tires for the track (even if I did have room to store them).

Basically, I know that performance mods are still in development and I'd like to hear what people plan on doing down the road to boost performance. But I'm really curious as to whether tracking the ST as-is would adversely affect it's handling and performance on the road. If I'm gonna need to buy a new set of brake pads after every track day, I'd rather just buy a performance kit that let's me swap out pads for track days, or maybe even spring for a pair of ceramics.

·
Registered
869 Posts
What about modifications designed to protect the car? I've got some friends who currently track their cars and they suggest at minimum swapping out the brake pads with high performance ones, otherwise you will wear them out very quickly. They also suggest getting track tires to protect the tread on your street tires, but since the ST comes with Eagle F1 A2's and I was already planning to get some winter tires, I'd rather not spend an additional $800+ on a 3rd set of tires for the track (even if I did have room to store them).

Basically, I know that performance mods are still in development and I'd like to hear what people plan on doing down the road to boost performance. But I'm really curious as to whether tracking the ST as-is would adversely affect it's handling and performance on the road. If I'm gonna need to buy a new set of brake pads after every track day, I'd rather just buy a performance kit that let's me swap out pads for track days, or maybe even spring for a pair of ceramics.
You will go through pads more quickly, but if the stock pads are worth their salt and you aren't threshold braking at every corner, then you should be fine for many track days.

My MX-5 stock pads (and stock replacements) usually lasted me about 20K miles per set. A little longer on the rears. But its a lighter car, too. I also spent a LOT of time on track with the car. Probably 20-25% of its total mileage. I suspect you won't see that much time in your ST (nor will I see that much in mine).

The car *should* be able to handle a standard HPDE with ease. If it can't, the car has a problem.

You don't need anything to be able to go out and have fun for a few sessions. AFTER the track day, you might have a look at the brake fluid and pads and see how things are holding up.

I have mentioned before and am still curious about how the TVS is going to affect brake wear/heat on the track, since it'll likely be active on most turns and certainly all tight ones.

FWIW, my intention is to give mine a test run on the track ASAP after delivery, just to find out what it feels like at the limits and how the TVS is going to work at the limit, as well as how it will affect brake wear.

Someone may beat me to it, but I'll report as soon as I can.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
tracking once or twice as-is STOCK isnt going to really hurt it at all.
One of the past issues that I had was with the rotors grooving and squealing terribly. I went to a slotted rotor and better quality pads and the problem went away for the great majority.
Tracking it unmodified out of the box will give you a better idea of the car's weaknesses before you start spending moolah .... and it will be ok..

·
Registered
102 Posts
I plan on a full weekend at stock. After I get a good read on the steering input, body roll, brake fade, etc. I will get a game plan together. Clearly you can't change (nor do you want to) everything at once, but my first additions will probably be a set of more aggressive pads (Carbotech), SS brake lines, some speed bleeders (for easier brake fluid changes), and a set of 16" or 17" track wheels with some R Comps.

I have always advocated improving driving technique (entry and exit), grip and braking over ANY amount of power upgrade if you truly want to refine your skills and ultimately have more fun at the track.

·
Registered
440 Posts
I will most def track it stock the first year. Second year maybe bolt-on's and def set of rims and R compounds.

This is my track of choice.
Calabogie Motorsports Park

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have mentioned before and am still curious about how the TVS is going to affect brake wear/heat on the track, since it'll likely be active on most turns and certainly all tight ones.

FWIW, my intention is to give mine a test run on the track ASAP after delivery, just to find out what it feels like at the limits and how the TVS is going to work at the limit, as well as how it will affect brake wear.
I am also very curious about this. I'm going to assume that because the brakes are being used on every tight corner and quick take-off that you're going to see significantly more wear. It's interesting to note that the ST-R actually keeps the stock rear brakes (though it does use performance pads) but it swaps in larger front rotors.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I plan on a full weekend at stock. After I get a good read on the steering input, body roll, brake fade, etc. I will get a game plan together. Clearly you can't change (nor do you want to) everything at once, but my first additions will probably be a set of more aggressive pads (Carbotech), SS brake lines, some speed bleeders (for easier brake fluid changes), and a set of 16" or 17" track wheels with some R Comps.

I have always advocated improving driving technique (entry and exit), grip and braking over ANY amount of power upgrade if you truly want to refine your skills and ultimately have more fun at the track.

Sounds like you got a great base plan!

·
Registered
283 Posts
As an instructor I'll take it with different brake fluid for an event, but will order BFG-R1's and use those with a better track pad once I figure out what's working. If I find it pushes I might consider a rear bar or just start with driving adjustment along with tire psi's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts