Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volkswagen has been making R-badged Golfs for longer than you might think. In fact, what you're looking at here is the fourth such model. But while previous generations have moved the power game incrementally forward, this latest version moves it on by leaps and bounds.

Set to debut at the Frankfurt Motor Show, now just weeks away, the new Golf R packs a prodigious 296 horsepower. That's not just more than the 286 hp we expected or more than a proportionate increase over its predecessors: Compare that figure to the 237 hp in the first Golf R32, the 247 hp in the one that followed and the 261 hp in the outgoing Golf R, and you'll realize that the new output doesn't just represent a bigger leap than Volkswagen R GmbH has ever taken before, it's bigger than the entire progress of the line until now.

The power (and its accompanying 280 pound-feet of torque) is once again channeled to all four wheels through a Haldex system and either a six-speed manual or dual-clutch transmission, although it remains to be seen which will make the transatlantic voyage Stateside and when. The suspension is dropped by 0.78 inches compared to the Mk7 Golf upon which it's based (0.2 inches lower than the GTI), the aero kit looks similar to the R-line package we've seen before, dual exhaust pipes protrude from the diffuser in the back and buyers can opt for 18- or 19-inch wheels.

Volkswagen hasn't let us inside just yet, having revealed just two exterior shots and a pair of design renderings. However, VW specifies textile seats with Alcantara bolsters and optional Nappa leather, replete with carbon trim and R logos abounding. Scope out the full press release below and watch this space for more as Frankfurt approaches as quickly as a 300-horsepower hot hatch in your rearview.

Volkswagen reveals new 296-hp Golf R - Autoblog

·
Registered
16 Posts
if the focus rs doesn't come in awd, this will be my next car in 2015/2016 in black or grey

Reactions: MilTownSHO and Durp

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
V6 powerplant?

·
Registered
700 Posts
Probably the TTRS power plant.

IAA is going to be interesting this year.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
I don't like the look of the new Golf. Front end seems so bland.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Ah, but...
1. Does it have a dead pedal cover?
and
2. Does it allow you to turn off the ESC/TC/etc?

Everyone want's to know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A very impressive car but IMO it is still way over-priced...and that's without knowing the price of the next gen R. The out-going R had almost the identical numbers as our Focus ST; 2.0l turbo, 256hp (vs. 252), 0-60 5.8secs (5.9). True the R has AWD, but comparably equipped R w/nav and roof vs ST3 w/roof is $36,515 vs. $29,825. That's $6700 more for the R with nothing to show for it since the AWD really gives no advantage over the ST. If you don't want all the goodies the base ST starts under $25K. The R comes loaded(nav &roof are only options) but starts at $34,195.

Additionally, the TCS is non-defeatable; this feature alone caused Motor Trend to give up trying to track test the R in a head-to-head with the ST (they tested a BRZ instead).

The current R performs like an ST, but is priced like a STi or Evo. The new R should move up to the performance of the others now, but it remains to be seen if VW keeps the price in line with those competitors.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I'd highly doubt it will be the TT RS model's 2.5L turbo five-pot as there was talk of it meeting future emission requirements and VW stated they'd be able to get this type of power out of their revised turbo four which is also significantly lighter than the cast iron block 2.5L five. Speaking of which, if they can keep the weight down on this version of the R at this power level combined with the Haldex XWD and eLSD it could be a very potent package. The new GTI reviews and initial driving impressions are extremely positive and it sounds like VW is seriously going to dial this new R up a few notches.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the new engine in the 2015 golf r is still a 2.0 liter. i think the engine code is TSFI. i know the old engine had a timing belt and the new one is a timing chain.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I actually like it, from what I've seen and heard so far.

Reactions: gottligm06

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks Jost Capito! Please come back and design the RS...

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
See caranddriver.com for a bunch of details, instead of just speculating.
Oh yeah, I guess since they did formally announce it I could read the VW press release too. Almost forgot this wasn't some pre-production speculation.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just dont see the advantage. Would rather support ford and the ST.
well when the new Golf R is smoking the Focus ST by a full second through the 1/4 mile you might see the advantage, but by then the Focus RS will be out. So just compare the ST to the new GTI.

The VW fanbois are nervous about the new american Golf's, GTI's, and Golf R's being made in Mexico.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Comparing a Golf R to a ST isn't a fair comparison. A GTI and a ST is the proper paring. A RS vs the Golf R will be an interesting comparison. The RS bests it on HP and Tq already, at least on paper.

Reactions: slow03mach1

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Comparing a Golf R to a ST isn't a fair comparison. A GTI and a ST is the proper paring. A RS vs the Golf R will be an interesting comparison. The RS bests it on HP and Tq already, at least on paper.
Yeah this makes more sense ...but if the price between the gti and st ( or R and Rs for that matter) is similar then i would stick with ford. I have had nothing but bad experiences with VW so now that ford can more than compete with Vw in this hot hatch market i see no good readon to look elsewhere. But i realize some feel the same about ford.

And the parts i used to get from mexico on my vw jetta had to be replaced in a year so i can understand the vw fanboys concerns.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
The VW fanbois are nervous about the new american Golf's, GTI's, and Golf R's being made in Mexico.
I wouldn't. The perceived "German quality" isn't always so, in case of the last generation Golf and hearing reports of things like panel gaps way off and even wrong material headrest for the wrong seats fitted and shipped in cars. The union workers in that country are just as capable of building quality cars as anywhere else, including America and Japan, but that doesn't automatically mean all German plants are perfect and Mexican workers and plants are worse.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts