Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car met ALL of my expectations!

For comparison, I also got to drive a new Escape with the 2.0 Ecoboost and then immediately after I went and test drove a new GTI 6M

1. Power- This thing feels much quicker then the GTI, In face the Escape (platinum 2wd) felt like it might be quicker then the GTI as well- Unfortunately it was a short track, so I only got to feel a second gear pull- but it was great - I would be really suprised if this car doesnt run close to a 14 flat in the 1/4. The motor in the Escape I drove felt every bit as smooth as the motor in the GTI. The car felt very comparable power wise to the Mazda Speed 3 (which I drove a few weeks ago)

2. Handling- WOW. Just like all the articles said, there is definitely some oversteer- I could feel the back end coming a little loose. I threw the GTI into a corner much to the dismay of the salesperson- and the ST definitley felt more nuetral- as the GTI had some pretty good understeer.

Tossable. that would be the perfect description of this car.

3. Sound- Car sounded great, but was not as loud inside as I expected-

I also got to ride in the BOSS302 for a hot lap and DAMN

All I can say is that after driving the GTI/ riding in the ST- anyone who buys a GTI over the ST is just straight crazy.

Now - I am REALLY anxious for the cars to get here!!

Pictures!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Very nice. Was hoping to get out there today, but no go. And I won't be able to make it the rest of the weekend either.

2 questions: which seats and how did they feel?
and...no Shelby GT 500 ride for you?

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Damn, Jack beat me to it. The shift knob shows only 5 forward gears! WTF?

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
Great write up.

Guys, those are show cars and those are just knobs. It is a six speed. Anyway, does it matter? Your car will have a six speed in it!

·
Registered
534 Posts
How bad was the line to get a ride? SEMA is so awful I've never even been in one of the cars out there.

Still contemplating going down to BJ to get a ride, and am itching to throw this car around on the track as soon as I can grab mine.

·
Director of Art
1,970 Posts
Damn, Jack beat me to it. The shift knob shows only 5 forward gears! WTF?
I'm guessing that was the other car he drove

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I'm guessing that was the other car he drove

No, it's not. The Pre-production cars on display at the NYIAS that we sat in also had a similar shift knob. Think of it as a placeholder for the real thing.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The car I rode in and the display car were ST3 package cars- the seats were great, I felt like I was held in place very well around the corners...I definitely likes the seats better in the Focus ST then the GTI

The 5 speed shift knob- This was definitely a pre-production car...the gaps on many of the interior panels were pretty big, and there were definitely some problems with fit and finish on the car....

I am almost positive the shift knob is from the Bullitt Mustang or Mach 1

See pic of the Bullitt shift know here (they are an exact match)

2005-2009 Mustang by Robert Gelardi at Coroflot.com

·
Registered
778 Posts
Fantastic! I'm glad you got to go! It looks like it was fun. Damn not having any time off!

Being a graphic designer...it's bugging me that the "Focus" and "ST" badges aren't lined up with each other on the back.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Back end shot of TS looks great. Seems like it really pops in direct sunlight, but kind of bland in without it.

·
The Site Founder
3,422 Posts
That's great stuff man. As described by Dan, and others this car is definitely Pre-Pro.. I am looking forward to driving one.

Chad

·
Registered
778 Posts
Yep. That's the first thing i did with my titanium. Both Focus and Titanium badges came off. Ill leave the ST though :D
What exactly goes into taking badges off? Are there any holes or anything? I was thinking of doing the same.

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Nope. A piece of dental floss and some goo gone will take them right off.

Might do mi e too just so I'm not advertising it's not a regular Focus. We'd all know the difference but not everyone knows what to look for.

Reactions: BadWolf

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thank you so much for the pics and the write up of of the driving/riding experience. Every time new information like this comes out, it makes the wait that much harder! My August 11th Performance Academy drive seems like an eternity from now! Never before has six weeks and change seemed like such a long time! Help, I can't stop using exclamation points!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Guys! That is gonna be one of the FIRST things that I am going to mine as well! I DONT like signage on my car.
I am also going to replace the round FORD badge ( I doan need no steenkin BADGES!) with a more demure yet sinister looking one that will be dark red on a black background. Yeah, I can do that. I would remove it COMPLETELY but it has a molded in spot that would look odd with nothin in it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts