Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've made a huge mistake :S
I had quite a bit of dust accumulate on my dash and thought I'd dig out my cleaning supplies from my old car. I found Armor All cleaning/protection wipes and Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Wipes (don't plan on using any of these products again). It was dark and I couldn't see much of what I was doing, but I used roughly one Meguiar's wipe per seat and two for the rear seats. When I got in to head to work the next morning there were terrible steaks and greasy globs where apparently it didn't apply evenly. I didn't have this problem when I used them on my TT, but that leather was a bit more glossy so perhaps I didn't notice. Maybe the wipes had a chemical breakdown since last summer? I have no idea, but I need to get my seats clean and looking the way they did. Can anyone recommend a leather cleaner that would be suitable for removing this type of residue from leather?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Yeah I am not a fan of wipes, they make it simple for quick cleaning, but I have never liked the results, the few times I have used them I usually ring them out first.

·
Premium Member
625 Posts
I've been using the Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Wipes. All you need to do is take a paper towel and remove the excess conditioner. They look shiny for a few days, but eventually it goes away. The wipes have helped keep my leather spotless.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I recommend Lexol for leather cleaner/conditioner. Lexol 1115 Leather pH Cleaner Spray 16.9 oz. (500mL) : Amazon.com : Automotive. It'll foam up good, so make sure you "rinse" the seats with a clean wet cloth after using it, and then follow up with your favorite conditioner. Again - theirs works really well: Lexol Leather Conditioner, 500 ml Pump Spray : Amazon.com : Automotive. I've used this for years on the SVT, and those seats are still great, despite baking in the sun at Chicagoland train stations for most of its lifetime.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
If you want to get those streaks out now, I suggest a leather lather and damp microfiber wipe down. Take a look at this video, particularly the section between 2:10 and 3:10.

After cleaning, be certain to apply a good conditioner using a microfiber foam applicator. Take a look at this video, particularly the section after 0:50.

There are plenty of good products out there. I'm using Lexol now, but also had good results from Leatherique.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the suggestions guys, really appreciate it. I'll try the warm water solution first, but planning to order the Lexol products that were mentioned. I'll post back my results.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I've also been using the Lexol products for years with no complaints. Just make sure to use the leather cleaner and conditioners only on the real leather parts of the seating surfaces and not the sides/rear of the front seats or on the rear seating areas that are vinyl. That can also explain some of the streaks and spotting, as some of the leather cleaners aren't meant for vinyl. Conversely try not to use all-in-one products that are primarily meant for vinyl on the leather surfaces.

Speaking of which, to clean and protect vinyl, rubber and plastic interior trim Lexol's Vinylex offers great UV protection and is silicone-based and doesn't use petroleum like a lot of other so-called protectants. If you spray it on and wipe it off it will leave a fairly glossy appearance but if you come back and buff it off a short while later with a clean terry towel it will leave a nice matte finish. If you want an even duller appearance let it soak in to provide some protection and wipe with a damp terry towel and then buff gently with a dry towel.

Reactions: androidtopp

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I've never tried the Vinylex, but I might hearing this. The Lexol stuff is great - been using it on shoes and furniture for years.

This is mostly for shoes, but if you have some really dry leather, perhaps in an older car, you can try Saphir's Dubbin Graisse: Saphir Dubbin Conditioner : Saphir Dubbin Grassie Shoe Polish : Kirby Allison. It's not cheap, and again, should only be used on leather, not vinyl, but it's crazy powerful stuff. A little goes a long way - so much so that if you apply it, you probably need to wait a couple days for it to soak in, and then buff off excess, or it will leave grease spots on your clothes. It also has a bit of an odor, since it's actually got mink and seal oil in it (poor baby seals), so buyer beware. Nothing that leaving the windows down while parked in the garage wouldn't fix. It's meant for use on shoes. specifically around the leather creases near the toe, but I've used it on older leather furniture and it does an amazing job of bringing the leather back.

·
Registered
38 Posts
+1 on the Lexol products. Works wonders on my riding gear and on my leather seats. I've found that if you use it sparingly and allow it a bit of time to soak in, it seems to work the best for me.

That being said, I don't know that I'd freak on the streaks just yet. It's most likely cold in Ohio, so perhaps the leather care did not have a chance to set. The texture of the Recaro seat leather is much smoother than in my other cars and that may play into it a bit also. I would just try to buff it off using a microfiber towel and leave it for a bit. Generally Meguire's Gold Class is good stuff. There may be better out there, but it's certainly not bottom of the barrel. I certainly can not see it harming anything.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been using the Meguiar's Gold Class Leather Wipes. All you need to do is take a paper towel and remove the excess conditioner. They look shiny for a few days, but eventually it goes away. The wipes have helped keep my leather spotless.
I did exactly this and it turned out well for me. Same comment on looking shiny for a couple days but then looking normal.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ended up using the warm water/mild cleaner solution and the streaks came off fine. I personally won't be using this product again, but I imagine if you did wipe off the excess while you were applying it'd turn out fine.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

·
Registered
361 Posts
if you did wipe off the excess while you were applying it'd turn out fine.
This is the key, no matter what product you use.

The problem with the wipes is that if they're over-saturated, you still need another clean cloth to wipe it up afterward. So what was the point of the wipe in the first place? Could have just used your cloth and a (less expensive) bottle of product.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So what was the point of the wipe in the first place? Could have just used your cloth and a (less expensive) bottle of product.
Yes, I could have, but like I said I already had the wipes in my arsenal of cleaning products from my Audi. And they worked out great the last time I used them, but it was the glossy nature of my former leather which must have hid the streaks.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm not blaming you, just griping at the vendors for coming up with "convenient" products that wind up being harder to use than just doing it the old-fashioned way.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I'm using the Wolfgang Leather Care Cleaner and Wolfgang Leather Care Conditioner from AutoGeek.net. I'm very impressed with how well they work. Will have to check out the Lexol products when I run out but since these products are used sparingly that might be a year or two at the earliest...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Warm Water Solution

I did this exact thing on our 2 week old van seats with the same wipes! Ugh! Where did you find the solution you used that you are talking about? I couldn't find it in this thread.

Ended up using the warm water/mild cleaner solution and the streaks came off fine. I personally won't be using this product again, but I imagine if you did wipe off the excess while you were applying it'd turn out fine.

Thanks again for all the feedback!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I did the same? im a bit scared to do anything else to it now. I also used it on my door panel where it look like the exact same material as my seats which are leather but it looks a bit more awful on there. I dont know why. I'm hoping I didnt mess it up. Any updates anyone could share will help. Thanks. I see alot of posts about this subject but not so many updates.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts