Ford Focus ST Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys & gals.

After a lot of thinking and basically some faith, I decided to get a new Focus ST. The decision was not an easy one, due to the fact that I really had almost no contact with the car previous to buying it. I can say with confidence that I was the first ST owner here in Mexico, the insurance folks had not even uploaded the model to their databases when they insured it.

I have had the car for one month now, and here are some of my initial impressions:

1. The engine is really, really nice. I can say with confidence that is the finest engine I have handled. It sounds deep without being loud, the power band is ample. Just the fact that it is able to auto adjust to several types of fuel octane is impressive.
2. The interiors are very refined. The Recaro leather seats are very comfortable even through out long drives.
3. It has no problems being either a daily driver or a track enthusiast car.

I'm in my early 40s, and coming from a Golf GTI Mk V.

Anyway, here is my baby:

Red Focus ST 2013 - Imgur

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only one trim here in Mexico, which basically is missing a couple of things to be a proper ST3: heated seats and navigation. The door edges are there to try to keep the paint job as new as possible, not really for the aesthetics of it. Anyway, thanks for the compliment!

·
Director of Web Relations
4,009 Posts
Welcome to the Nation. It's great having members world wide!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Nice car and congratulations on the purchase. I can't imagine there's many of them in Mexico when they've barely started hitting the US market. Was your car imported from the US or from Germany? The only thing better if I was living in Mexico would be to track down a used RS but the ST definitely isn't a bad choice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks Eric.I have only seen another ST and it was on a dealership, so yeah, the car is a rare view on the streets. Mexico's STs come from Detroit.

The RS might be too hard for a daily commuter, which is my prime use for the car. Still, you can get to see a couple of them rolling. There is even one office nearby mine which has one parked now and then.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Welcome Havs! I have driven in Mexico City, and it was the most exhilarating, adrenaline filled driving I've ever done. Absolutely insane. It brought out all the competitiveness in me, struggling for position and fighting for room. I say that it was fun, but there is no way I'd do it every day. You have my utmost respect, sir, for driving around that routinely. *gives bow*

Get those door edge guards off of there (lol jk
1BadST, you have no idea. If I had an ST there I would not only have door guards but every other kind of armor and guards I could invent. While I was there I drove a serious off-road worthy Jeep with huge tires. Cars got super close to me while jockeying for position, never hitting the jeep, but countless times there was less than an inch between those tires and the moving vehicles around me. I saw many other cars with the sides all scraped up from rubbing each other in traffic. Did I mention that driving there was crazy?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It is indeed bad

Did I mention that driving there was crazy?
Yea, aggressive driving seems to be the norm in the city, but as you correctly noted, most folks do still leave some breathing room between cars. Accidents do happen but they are not as common as a casual observer might think.

Overcrowding of the streets, lack of transit planning and maintenance are part of the problem. The other part is that our public transport systems sucks donkey balls, so there are really not many alternatives to the poor dwellers of the city.

Hey, if you ever come down here again, let me know.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts